Why didn't the Creator heal Thomas' stab wound? (Spoiler)

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Why didn't the Creator heal Thomas' stab wound? (Spoiler)

Post by Revan »

I alway wondered... Because the Creator is more than able... why didn't he heal Thomas... Seems odd to me...
Last edited by Revan on Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Covenant had to make that choice. He chose to sacrifice himself to Foul, both in our world and in the Land. If the Creator had intervined, it would have thwarted Covenant's choices. Thomas knew that the only way to rid the Land of Foul the second time was to give him the ring, and let Foul kill him so he could stand in front of the Arch of Time. If the Creator had healed the stab wound, that couldn't have happened.

Also, don't forget, Covenant healed himself in the Land on Kevin's Watch when he and Linden first arrived.

In the First Chrons, the Creator only healed Covenant of the anti-venom poisoning after Covenant chose to be healed. In WGW, that was not Covenant's choice. He knew he had to die.
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

He could have healed Thomas, and then Linden could have brought him back to life...
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

In order for Covenant to sacrifice himself, and die in the Land, he had to die in our world as well. The Creator couldn't have healed him. It wasn't Covenant's choice.

It also works the other way as well. When Covenant sends Lindan back at the end of The One Tree, he says to her... "Save my life". She can't, because "he" was not actually there. She then throws herself into the bonfire and he pulls her back. So, he was "unsavable" after he sacrificed himself to Foul. He was "dead".
Last edited by Furls Fire on Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And I believe in you
I will remember you

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Then why didn't Covenant even think of praying to that dude, the Creator. What an idiot!
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Because, he died in The Land. He couldn't be saved after that. He was no longer there. It's complicated and hard to explain. But I understand what Donaldson did here. Way back in The Wounded Land, the sacrifice was already decided on. When Covenant sacrificed himself for Joan, the wheels were set in motion for his ultimate sacrifice. The Creator's hands were tied in this...Covenant made his choice.
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Your right... but it upsets me that's all...
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

me too :( :(

But, SRD said in an interview...
"With both the Laws of Life and Death broken, there is no reason why Thomas Covenant can't come back..."
So, there is hope that we will see our hero again. :)
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

What Furls said has always been good enuf 4 me..calm down u blasphemous fool! :D
fall far and well Pilots!
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

LOL! Sorry... But I think that TC will be a bad guy in the Third Chronicles...
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

I don't think so..

In another interview, and I've quoted it somewhere before, SRD says...
OK. In a hundred words or less. In the First Chronicles, Thomas Covenant faces Lord Foul and defeats him. In the Second Chronicles, Thomas Covenant surrenders to Lord Foul and accepts him. In the Last Chronicles, Thomas Covenant becomes Lord Foul. Following the psychological paradigm through, what happens at the point that you become your own other self is that you become whole, and the universe is made new.
Now, I take this to mean that by Thomas becoming Foul is how he stops Foul from breaking thru. SRD says this time around that Foul corrupts time itself. Okay...who is the Keystone of the Arch of Time? Covenant. Does this mean that Foul corrupts Thomas? I don't think so. I think that Thomas is the only thing holding it all together. By Thomas finally becoming Foul, the whole thing flies apart, and the Land is destroyed as it is and is made new....but free of the Despiser

I don't think Thomas literally becomes Foul and sets out to destroy the Land....

I could be wrong tho...Look what SRD to the Land in TWL???
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

That's the thing, right there, Furls. Donaldson is so gifted and creative a writer, we can really have no idea of what he will do until we are able to read it. :)
Love as thou wilt.

Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

You can say that again :) :)
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Yeah, we'll just have to wait and see.

Personally I think Covenant will be resurrected much in the same way as Hollian. Now that SRD has told us about Foul's corruption of time itself, I suspect we will find out that Covenant and Berek are one and the same person. Or not.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

The Berek and Thomas case has been done before in another thread, so I'm not going to repeat myself here ;) As for why the Creator didn't heal Covenant's wound - well, there are many reasons, the main ones being already explained in this thread.

1) It was his free choice to sacrifice himself; to heal him or resurrect him would have meant robbing him of his choice, but not just that; it would have meant robbing him of the meaning of his act, and demeaned him;

2) As for Covenant not praying to the Creator... it's the same reason why, at the end of the First Chronicles, he didn't ask the Creator for a cure for leprosy. He wouldn't demean himself or the Creator by asking such a thing after his sacrifice.

3) Besides, ever since his caamora in the Banefire, he was an integral part of the Arch of Time, and even more so once Foul burned away the venom in him, after he was killed; it is in my mind that he probably COULDN'T be brought back to our world any longer ( remember: whenever he returned back to our world from the Land, he was truly no longer there, as shown by the krill of Loric; and if he had returned to our world at the end of the Second Chronicles, his disappearance - the disappearance of the keystone of the Arch of Time! - would have made the whole Arch collapse, destroying the Land forever, and freeing Foul, even though diminished ), that he was too tied to the Land by then. And he couldn't be healed or resurrected in the Land, either - because the Creator couldn't affect the Land without breaking the Arch of Time.

But in the end, I think that the concept of "death" has largely become meaningless in the Land, after the breaking of both Laws of Life and Death, and especially in Covenant's case, since he has transcended mere mortal nature and become something metaphysical - he is wild magic, and wild magic by definition cannot be slain. Here's a thought; perhaps now TC's ability to manifest in the physical world is related to the white gold ring, in that its presence, "awakening" wild magic, brings TC back into the world; so, when Linden left the Land, he couldn't manifest again, but when she returns, the sudden reappearance of the ring will give him the ability to manifest again... just a thought!
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I think that TC's state of body in the Land had to match the state of his body in our world. He couldn't be healed in our world of the knife wound, so he received a fatal chest blow from the Despiser.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Wonderer
Servant of the Land

Post by Wonderer »

I have to say after reading Furl's take on the third coming TC saga it seems she could be right on the money.I'm sure all of us really hated to see TC die but the reality is that if he hadn't then LF would have won.TC understood this and made his choice and although he would have liked to spent the rest of his days in this world with Linden I believe that he had already lost too much to really trust that could ever really work out; so his choice was that much easier, leave what you couldn't ever have and save what you had learned to love.
There is also love in the world......
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I agree... but I wished we had and they lived happily ever after story...

Post by Guest »

Furls Fire wrote:me too :( :(

But, SRD said in an interview...
"With both the Laws of Life and Death broken, there is no reason why Thomas Covenant can't come back..."
So, there is hope that we will see our hero again. :)

"Blood and hell!" Thomas Covenant said hoarsely after coming back to life in the Last Chronicles, "I can't believe I'm stupid enough to try this a third time!"

:)
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

:LOLS: :haha:

I can just hear that!!!

"Hellfire and bloody damnation, do I have to do this yet again? I'm tired! Get Berek to do it this time!"
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”