Channeling the Sunbane

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Channeling the Sunbane

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

Through a caesure, Demondim were able to use the ancient power of the Illearth Stone. The only Falls that can be made now, I guess, would be at the will of the bearers of the rings, and maybe they'd have no reason to make any. But I can imagine a scene where someone tries to get one or both of them to make a Fall, somehow convinces them to, and this person then draws the Sunbane through it. If the Worm eats Earthpower, and it consumed corrupted Earthpower, would that have a countering effect on its advance? Would it make it sick? Another attempt to accomplish good by evil means?

But maybe the Despiser would do it instead to torture Linden or something, or whatever. I mostly wonder if it could happen, period.
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

I suspect it would cause a 'two copies of the same object coexisting' paradox if you tried to do it. The Sunbane is a corrupted form of the Earthpower of the Land. If you brought it to the present how could it coexist with present time Land Earthpower?
A little knowledge is still better than no knowledge.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

If Demondim were able to channel the Illearth Stone via a caesure, then it is feasible that someone could channel the Master Rukh or Banefire through a caesure, as well. I don't know if channeling the Sunbane would make the Worm sick but then I don't know if it can consume only "healthy" power. However, if the skurj attack then a channeled "sun of rain" aura could really ruin their day. I would say that Linden wouldn't want to channel the Sunbane, given her sensitivity to its wrongness, but she would probably transcend herself and do it anyway if she thought it would save the Land.

As far as I know, we are still waiting for her to "do something they won't expect", whatever that might be...unless that referred to rousing the Worm in Andelain.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.

Return to “Against All Things Ending”