Audio Version of Mordant's Need

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

wayfriend

Audio Version of Mordant's Need

Post by wayfriend »

Stephen R Donaldson, in News, wrote:I'm glad to report that Scott Brick will be the reader for Audible's recordings of "Mordant's Need" and the five GAP books. As he always does, Scott will consult with me about such things as pronunciation. But I still have no idea when the recordings will be released.

2/3/12
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Good news!
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

That's pretty darn cool. I haven't listened to any audio books yet by anyone except for the occasional accidental tuning in when Julie and I were on a roadtrip with a group of folks and they were all listening to an audio book while I was reading a different book. I caught bits and snatches of it and it was ok. I still just like to read for myself because I literally make it a movie in my head. When I read it's not just words on a page, I literally have a movie screen open in my mind and I picture the story as it goes along. I found that listening to someone else read even if only in bits and pieces seemed to make it harder for me to follow with my mind movie. Different stresses on different phrases make different pictures in my head.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

He he. I'd just posted in the Gap forum about never having listened to an audio book. I'm interested in giving it a try,
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Shuram Gudatetris »

I listened to some of LOTR on audio books during a couple of eight hour drives. I really liked them, and they were read by an English person, and I think he did a swell job with it. However, I listened to some of Scott Brick's sample audio files, and his style of reading didn't work for me. But I think part of it goes back to what Cameraman Jenn was saying. For books that I have read SO many times, there is a certain way things should sound in my head, ways characters should speak, that it throws me off to hear it differently. So to borrow from Jenn's analogy, it is sort of like watching a different production of a movie I love.

But maybe there is some value to trying to get inside someone else's head and seeing the story through that person's eyes. Sort experience an old story in a new way. Not to mention, if I ever did commit myself to listening to one of Scott Brick's readings of one of SRD's books, at least I would know the TRUE pronunciation of everything in the story :P
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

From Scott Brick: the latest on Mordant's Need and other projects}Scott's Blog (nice photo of SRD & him)
fall far and well Pilots!

Return to “Mordant's Need”