DC Comics Secret Origins

Look! Up in the sky! *To be continued...* (This story continued in KW Comics #263)

Moderators: dANdeLION, aTOMiC, sgt.null

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

DC Comics Secret Origins

Post by sgt.null »

Its most well-known incarnation was a 50-issue series (plus three annuals and a special) that ran from 1986 to 1990. Typically, an issue would be given over to clarifying the post-Crisis origins of a number of characters, usually two (as most of the issues were 'double-sized', i.e. 48 pages, plus ads). Roy Thomas was the initial writer/editorial consultant on the series; later issues were overseen by Mark Waid. Three more specials followed in 1998-1999. In 2004, it returned to the all-reprint format with a "Weird" special featuring Doctor Fate, The Spectre, Animal Man, Enchantress, Metamorpho, Congorilla, El Diablo, and Bizarro World.

another series I am trying to collect all of. I started with this series because of the Ostrander Suicide Squad issue and the Nightshade (of the Suicide Squad) issues.

during the 52 series there were hero and villain origins of two pages apiece. I wish those were all collected in one graphic.

the issues I have...

10 - Phantom Stranger
14 - Suicide Squad
27 - Zatanna/Zatara
28 - Midnight/Nightshade
39 - Animal Man/Man-Bat (Animal Man by Morrison)
40 - Congorilla/Detective Chimp/Gorilla Grodd
41 - Weather Wizard/Heat Wave/Trickster/Pied Piper/Grodd/Captain Cold
A1 - Doom Patrol/Captain Comet

plus DC has done a ton of Secret Files and Origins that you can find...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Files_and_Origins

I have issues of those that coincide with series that I coolect or have interest in.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

*sigh* If I still had my old collection I could have given you lots of the Secret Origins books. I don't remember if I had them all but I had most of them.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:*sigh* If I still had my old collection I could have given you lots of the Secret Origins books. I don't remember if I had them all but I had most of them.
well thank you for the thought. :)

dc should consider doing some Secret Origins for the new 52.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Sometimes it pains me to think about how many issues I used to have.

Lots of All-Star Squadron, Justice League (the post-Legends restart where they introduced Maxwell Lord), Silver Surfer, Hulk, Dr. Strange, Marvel Universe, Thor, Fantastic Four, Avengers, etc. One of my prizes, though--the Swamp Thing special where the giant black hand rose up from below Hell and reached towards a giant white hand that was reaching down from above Heaven; this was the special where Zatara saved his daughter by calling the flames onto himself and Swamp Thing, in his role as Earth Elemental, convinced the giant black hand that fighting was not necessary, only understanding.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

i have lost my collection a few times as well...
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “dANdeLION's Comics Cave”