Nybbas
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Nybbas »

The Blanket

Nybbas
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Nybbas »

The Battle of the Blanket

Zepar's Fortress of the Elements is a huge stone position rising up out of the flaming plains of the Blanket. The River Acheron flows in from the spinward direction and departs again on the far side of the fortress.

Thousands of Earth Fiends guard the tall walls. An equal number of Air Fiends hold formation above the fortress. Water Fiends are in the River. The Fire fiends are on the flanks, in the burning vines.

Through the two branches of the Acheron, Philitanus' Wyrms swarm towards the fortress. Above them are Sonneillon's Soul Armors, along with their organized commanders.

The water battle starts out with the Wyrms swarming the two river paths. They’re so numerous, it seems the keep will be overrun quickly. However, the water itself seems to be against them. Some are pushed in strong currents, while others are simply tossed out of the river onto the flaming vines of the bank. These are quickly dispatched by the waiting Fire Fiends.

Yeter’el leads the charge, and is nigh unstoppable as he cuts down Wyrm after Wyrm. Angel Wyrms and Wyverns as well fall to his trident, and no enemy can touch him.

The three dragons take to the field then, but again the waters themselves answer to Yeter’el’s command, and the dragons are kept at bay. But while there, the swarm simply takes the other river path to the fortress’ walls.

In the skies above, Paymon leads the Air Fiends against the far numerous swarms of Sonneillon’s soldiers. Paymon focuses on the commanders, while his Fiends attempt to fight the slightly weaker soldiers. However, numbers quickly show their advantage, and the Air Fiends are losing. The combined Shadow Fiends and Lamia soon assault Paymon, many dying in the attempt, and Paymon falls, gravely injured.

Kasdeya launches upwards on a sheet of flame, and the very fires of the burning vines seem to obey his commands. The Shadow Fiends are pushed back while the Fire Fiends join the fight. But even with this doubling in forces, the defending fiends are slowly killed off. They take an equal number of soldiers with them, or even more, but Sonneillon’s forces are simply too many.

Azazel leaves the fortress to defend the second river approach. He is as mighty as Yeter’el, though he does not command the waters. Earth Fiends and Water Fiends are with him, fighting from behind their defenses. Wyrms are dying by the scores, and by the hundreds, while Fiends much less quickly. The battle is long, but eventually most of the smallest Wyrms who were leading the attack are dead. Philitanus calls a retreat, and the larger Wyrms, as well as the dragons and Wyverns withdraw away from the fortress to the Cauldron of Blood.

In the skies above, the combined Air and Fire fiends have suffered heavy losses, including nearly the Air lieutenant Paymon. Sonneillon’s forces are also much smaller, but seem ready to take the battle. With Philitanus’ departure, the Earth Fiends launch upwards and join the flying battle. (Water Fiends cannot fly.) Sonneillon’s forces suffer heavy losses then, including one of the Shadow Fiends. Only then does Sonneillon call for his troops to withdraw, in the name of not squandering Iztet’s forces so that the battle may be won later. They return to the Palace in the Sky.
Nybbas
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Nybbas »

The Battle of the Weed

The battle begins with launched magma from the volcanoes around the Pits of Despair, and an amazing blast from the sandstorms, directly into the Weed below. The Weed lacks any kind of organization, or for that matter any kind of occupants other than the single Tormentor and, of course, the Souls and wasps. The magma incinerates large sections of the Weed, and the sandstorm disintigrates huge swaths of vines. The magma continues to seep downwards through the burning vines and branches, burning and crushing as it goes.

Then the entire Weed bursts into flame. The Fiends of the Pits raise a cheer from their vantage above, but soon realize that this is not the victory they had thought. The vines of the Weed are now aflame from some internal mechanism, and are ignoring the magma’s heat. The weight of the flowing stone still sinks the vines down a large distance before settling out. But then a blast of air and sound pushes up from below. The Song of the Weed blasts upwards, actually shuddering the entire island of the Pits of Despair. Many of the Pit Fiends and Chiropterrors on the island’s rim are knocked from their feet and are forced to catch wing where they are buffetted from below by the immense wind of the Song.

Then the Chiropterrors answer the Song’s call. Strong they are, but not strong of mind. They are the first swayed by the Song’s message, to join Iztet’s army and defend the Weed. But soon, the drones within the Pits themselves hear the sound and rush to join their new master. In waves, like the lemings of the Firmament, they swarm past their Pit Fiend taskmasters and off the edge of the Island, leaving their tormented Souls idle.

The Pit Fiends are too busy dealing with the mutiny of the Chiropterrors to really stop the drones. The battle is drawn out, but without Pit Fiends to lead them, the Chiropterrors’ own stupidity proves their greatest weakness. The Pit Fiends, though fewer, are both stronger and smarter. Some few die, and a far greater number of the stupid Chiropterrors before Xsu rallies the Fiends to try bluffing. He orders them simply pretend to als serve Iztet, and to order the Chiropterrors to help them capture this island. The Pit Fiends lead their “new” soldiers into the center of the island, into the Pits themselves, and destroy all of the captive Souls restrained there. Once that is done, they order the Terrors to guard the Pits from any further attack, and lock them inside. After a few weeks, all of the destroyed Souls rematerialize where they had been.

Iztet’s wasps, now also aflame, swarm upwards from the Weeds, following the Song’s wake upwards. Made of flame, they are no longer destroyed on contact with the Pit Fiends. They swarm around them, but seem to have only minor effect with their stings.

Oinodaemus directs the sandstorm over the wasps, functionally eradicating them in the air. He sends Manes, under cover of a thin tornado of windblasted sand, one at a time down into the Weed, each exploding on impact and boring a deeper hole through the flaming plant. The flames of their explosions no longer harm the Weed, but the force of the blasts still rips apart the vines, and their acidic innards melt downwards even farther. Thousands of manes fall to their deaths this way, and the sand tornado is widened and then poured into the downards tunnel they had dug. Sand shreds more of the vines, and widens the tunnel, and finally Oinodaemus and the lieutenants jump downards, followed by several thousand Pit Fiends.

The lieutenants begin to exude an acidic mist around them, below the defensive wall of the storm. As the tornado continues to widen the pit they had dug, the lieutenants focus their acid and continue to bore farther into the Weed while the sandstorm widens the hole above them.

This, as expected, brings the Tormentor back to the picture. Even stronger and faster than ever, the Tormentor slaughters many Pit Fiends on her way towards the lieutenants. But their deaths give the lieutenants time to defend against her, and they manage to hold her at bay for a while. Oinodaemos signals above, and the sandstorm fluctuates briefly. Then, from above, the Sarlac drops down onto the Tormentor, many tentacles gripping and pulling. However, even this is not enough to stop the Tormentor, and she begins to win over the giant monster.

Xsu steps forward to assist, but then falls prey to some kind of disintigration. Nearly identical to what the sandstorm was doing to the vines, only without wind or sand. Tiny pieces of Xsu are simply crumbling away from him. Sothu and Kohru step up to try to help him, and they also suffer the same fate. Oinodaemos instead chooses to focus his acidic aura onto the Tormentor, which is finally enough to allow the Sarlac to rend her apart. Thus ends the Tormentor.

And yet, whatever curse she had called onto Xsu, Sothu, and Kohru remains, and the three are slowly rent into fine dust while Oinodaemos stands helpless. Conceding defeat, Oinodaemus orders all of his forces upwards in retreat. Xsu succumbs to death before they can get far enough away for the curse not to impact them. Sothu is nearly dead, and Kohru is little better.

Return to “Inferno”