2011 Watchy Discussion

Spotlighting Watchers and posts that go Above and Beyond the call of duty.

Moderators: Menolly, [Syl]

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

8O ... :hithead: ... 8O
...friggin "confirm ballot" requirement...
unless I mistallied the confirmed ballots. will recount in the morning
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Damn. I missed confirming it here....I thought I had, but it didn't post... :(
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Heh. On one hand, rules are rules. On the other hand, I make the rules. Tough decision. If you had voted for me for WOTY, I might have let it stand (;)) But then, with the power to break ties, I have the opportunity to appoint myself WOTY... which would be a bit unfair, I think (even if I don't get a chance to vote for myself). So unless anyone seriously objects, I think I will just declare the three ties (myself, Aliantha, and Fist) as Watchers of the Year.

Your votes actually broke two other ties as well. Since I'm not involved in those, I will put my tie-breaking authority behind your votes (though I won't say which ones, especially because I don't know right now, since all I'm looking at right now are the numbers).
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

I propose that Cambo be required to change his Watcher name to "Chad" for a brief time and that he be declared an honorary Floridian.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Hey, at least his ballot was filled out correctly, as illustrated in the ballot. A certain Floridian's was not. :mrgreen:
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Not to put too fine a point on it, the person in question is no longer a Floridian. Has not been for several months.
And following instructions has never been considered her long suit.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

:|

I did explain why I did that...
*sheesh*
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

You can take the girl out of Florida...
(preaching to the choir there)
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

*grumble*
*mutter*
*splutter*
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

[Syl Embattled] wrote:You can take the girl out of Florida...
Can...and did. :biggrin:
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
Serenity
Servant of the Land

Post by Serenity »

*just hoping all of this blows over before the Autarch returns to processing turns*
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Savor Dam wrote:I propose that Cambo be required to change his Watcher name to "Chad" for a brief time and that he be declared an honorary Floridian.
So wait, you're proposing we Hang Cambo, and call him Chad, just so a certain poster can escape her shame? I seriously think that's unfair to Cambo, perhaps we could discuss rethinking this?

Cambo, do you have an opinion you'd like to share?
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

sindatur wrote:
Savor Dam wrote:I propose that Cambo be required to change his Watcher name to "Chad" for a brief time and that he be declared an honorary Floridian.
So wait, you're proposing we Hang Cambo, and call him Chad, just so a certain poster can escape her shame? I seriously think that's unfair to Cambo, perhaps we could discuss rethinking this?

Just that this is all going over my head. Who the hell is Chad, and what does Florida have to do with anything? :lol:

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Cambo wrote:Who the hell is Chad, and what does Florida have to do with anything? :lol:
Good answer! :clap:

(It's a reference to the US presidential election between Bush the Younger and Al Gore, which required a prolonged inspection of punch-card ballots in Florida before sending the whole mess to the Supreme Court. "Chad" is the technical term for the thingum that pops out of a punch card when you punch it out. The inspection process enshrined the terms "hanging chad" and "pregnant chad" in the US political lexicon. )

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Cambo wrote:
sindatur wrote:

Just that this is all going over my head. Who the hell is Chad, and what does Florida have to do with anything? :lol:
A previous election was said to be diecided in Florida due to Hanging Chads (Chads, of course, are the "punch out bits" on punch cards, so a Hanging Chad is a "Punch out bit" that wasn't quite punched out, so, a hanging chad means the card wasn't punched properly and the vote counters couldn't determine who you voted for. NOTE: A Hanging Chad could also be an extra candidate almost punched so can't tell which you wanted).

So, yea, with a goal of making sure you are punched completely out or being hung, I'm not sure I would want to call myself Chad in Florida, especially not when encouraged to do so 8O
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Ooooooh! Right. No, I'm not keen to get involved in that mess, then. Don't want Michael Moore knocking on my doorstep and waving framed photos at me.

Dread Poet Jethro
My quill pen is mightier Than the sword you drop

Post by Dread Poet Jethro »

sindatur wrote:So wait, you're proposing we Hang Cambo, and call him Chad...?
If asked, his Watch wife
Might be inclined to assert
He's already hung
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

*stepping back and allowing the sheriff to handle the current topic the thread seems to have gone off in*
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Dread Poet Jethro wrote:
sindatur wrote:So wait, you're proposing we Hang Cambo, and call him Chad...?
If asked, his Watch wife
Might be inclined to assert
He's already hung
Digital husband;
Therefore I guess I would be
Ranked 0 or 1

:oops:

sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Menolly wrote:*stepping back and allowing the sheriff to handle the current topic the thread seems to have gone off in*
Oh, Oops, I came to this thread immediately after "Win Wayfriend's money" and forgot where I was. My apologies for straying the thread.

So, anyways, go to the Watcher of the Year Dilemma Thread in This Watchy Forum, and let Syl know how you feel and why about how he should handle his Tie Dilemma kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22824

Return to “The Watchy Awards Forum”