How will the Haruchai be redeemed?

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Ananda wrote:
Vraith wrote:Do I recall correctly that the Master's have preserved/stored up all the old power/lore artifacts? [isn't that what they wanted to do with the staff, too?] What might be there? Where might that lead?
That's what I said a few posts up. :P They also have hostages who 'know to much' just as they considered doing with Liand, so maybe some of those people who are forced to stay in Revelstone for knowing things might be set loose.
So you did...somehow I scrolled right by it, or forgot. Mea culpa or whatever those fancy dead peeps used to say.
I know they wanted to take Anele [and later others exposed to power]...do they have other prisoners alive? I don't remember that, but if they do I wonder who it could be, and what they know and where/how they learned it? One good thing though...with their memory and their sight unaffected by the dirt, they'd probably know what and how the stuff could be used...and though I don't think it would happen, 1000 Haruchai thundering out of revelstone on Rhany and wielding Lord's staves they'd had lying around in the basement would be pretty scary...in theory, they know almost everything the Lords could ever do [except the Ritual of Desecration, I suppose...weren't there for that one].
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

I doubt the Haruchai will suddenly turn into neo-Lords with staffs and Lords' fire. They wouldn't be Haruchai then.

My guess is that after a millennium of considering their defeat by Nom in Brhathair they have come up with some smart sandgorgon-defeating moves. Meanwhile, the heat-resistant Giants, including newly-healed grand-master Longpeace will fight the skurj to a standstill, allowing Linden the time to unmake them.

Alternatively, the sandgorgon will fight the skurj for supremacy and defeat them.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

shadowbinding shoe wrote:
Alternatively, the sandgorgon will fight the skurj for supremacy and defeat them.
I've been hoping for this, that the Sandies somehow end up fighting on the right side. [might even be in one of my predictions in that thread.] I love the Sandies.
And y'know, off the top of my head....the Sandies and Har actually have quite a lot in common, [besides just the mind-speech which is new to Sandies, relatively speaking]. They're born in contention with supremely harsh environments, they both are embodied power, they both are driven to tests/challenges [because of the harsh environments?].
Both have had both personal and racial identity directly touched by corruption; both individual and communal, they understand/experience it differently than other beings I would think.
It appears the Sandies have some fairly strict "code," or sense of "honor," and perhaps of "judgement," though only hints of that.
Almost as if [metaphorically, not literally] the Sandies are a more "primitive" version of the Har.
There may be more...or less...to what I'm tossing out here...but makes the coming encounter between the two potentially more interesting/complex. Cuz we know they can mind-speak each other...
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I'm thinking that the Sandgorgons are going to be slaughtered by Longwrath.
Come on, a expert sword wielding Giant with a magic sword made specifically to kill Sandgorgons?
Going to be pretty wild.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:I'm thinking that the Sandgorgons are going to be slaughtered by Longwrath.
Come on, a expert sword wielding Giant with a magic sword made specifically to kill Sandgorgons?
Going to be pretty wild.
I know, I know there has to be some reason for that...but dammit I like the Sandies...HEEEYYYY, maybe the sword is like Excalibur and the Sandies will kneel down and swear allegiance!
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Vraith wrote:
High Lord Tolkien wrote:I'm thinking that the Sandgorgons are going to be slaughtered by Longwrath.
Going to be pretty wild.
I know, I know there has to be some reason for that...but dammit I like the Sandies...HEEEYYYY, maybe the sword is like Excalibur and the Sandies will kneel down and swear allegiance!
If Longwrath shows his superiority, the pretty much have to. That is the Sandgorgon way, to bow before the one that can best them... unlike the Haruchai who whimper and take their games elsewhere ;)
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Well, remember when we used to say: C'mon, Longwrath (and Joan) keep magically escaping their shackles, and now the ur-viles make magic shackles? You have to admit, Donaldson fakes one way and then throws another way.

Suppose the Haruchai can convince the Sandgorgons? I mean, they share their mental communication, so they have an "in". Perhaps what the Masters learn from Pahni they in turn share with the 'gorgs.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

wayfriend wrote:
Well, remember when we used to say: C'mon, Longwrath (and Joan) keep magically escaping their shackles, and now the ur-viles make magic shackles? You have to admit, Donaldson fakes one way and then throws another way.

Suppose the Haruchai can convince the Sandgorgons? I mean, they share their mental communication, so they have an "in". Perhaps what the Masters learn from Pahni they in turn share with the 'gorgs.
I don't think so.
Remember the gorgons are being influenced by Raver scraps. SRD has made it clear they are not the good guys. Chop them up!
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

Didn't see this idea as I skimmed this thread, so here goes:

The Ardent went with the Ramen to Revelstone. Of course Pahni and Bhapa bear the weight of the task of convincing the Masters to march on Gravin Threndor, but the Haruchai have always deferred to white gold, and the Insequents' powers are to some extent (not entirely, else the Ardent's ribbands and the Harrow's fighting prowess would have been blocked by Esmer, neither of which proved the case) a mimicry of wild magic. What if the Ardent teaches the Masters how to fight like the Vizard and the Theomach could?
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Mighara Sovmadhi wrote:Didn't see this idea as I skimmed this thread, so here goes:

The Ardent went with the Ramen to Revelstone. Of course Pahni and Bhapa bear the weight of the task of convincing the Masters to march on Gravin Threndor, but the Haruchai have always deferred to white gold, and the Insequents' powers are to some extent (not entirely, else the Ardent's ribbands and the Harrow's fighting prowess would have been blocked by Esmer, neither of which proved the case) a mimicry of wild magic. What if the Ardent teaches the Masters how to fight like the Vizard and the Theomach could?
IMO, the Vizard's and Theomach's combat abilities are an extension of their lore. It seems that what they're doing is freezing time, kicking the shit out of a defenseless opponent, then re-starting time (re-read Stave's account of the first meeting between the Haruchair army and the Vizard and you'll see what I mean.) The Haruchai have never used such lore, so I don't see them fighting in that way.

I expect Pahni and Bhapa will propose another "test of truth" to the Masters, just as the Manethrall did in AATE. They'll suggest a summons, and if a herd of Ranyhyn show up, then the Masters will ride them into battle. Also, the number "500" repeats often with the Haruchai - the army that invaded the land of the Insequent numbered 500, and the Bloodguard originally numbered 500. It will be a glorious sight to see 500 Masters riding 500 Ranyhyn!
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam

dlbpharmd wrote:I expect Pahni and Bhapa will propose another "test of truth" to the Masters, just as the Manethrall did in AATE. They'll suggest a summons, and if a herd of Ranyhyn show up, then the Masters will ride them into battle. Also, the number "500" repeats often with the Haruchai - the army that invaded the land of the Insequent numbered 500, and the Bloodguard originally numbered 500. It will be a glorious sight to see 500 Masters riding 500 Ranyhyn!
That would make a lot of sense.
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

Is there actual proof that the Insequent's powers stem from white magic or is this just a strong theory? The only Insequent we know had abilities to manipulate time were the Theomach, the Mahdoubt and maybe the Visard (it was theorized that he controled space rather than time). The Ardent probably didn't have teleportation abilities by himself. It was the combined powers of his race that gave him this ability
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam

shadowbinding shoe wrote:Is there actual proof that the Insequent's powers stem from white magic or is this just a strong theory?
Esmer's ability to block the teleportation magic at least means that Insequent teleportation is an attempt to copy wild magic's effects.

Return to “Against All Things Ending”