Your decade

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

Which is your decade?

Pre 60s
No votes
60s
10%
70s
35%
80s
25%
90s
15%
Post 2000
15%

Total votes: 20

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

StevieG wrote:Menolly, and all others who haven't chosen - pick a decade! :lol:

There are influences in all decades - too many to list, but when it comes down to it, for the fun of it if for no other reason, pick a decade! 80s were close for me - some of my favourite bands dominated the 80s. Some of my favourite bands dominated the 70s too.

Pick a decade! You can do it!
OK, OK. I'll go with the 1970s then, even though that is when Disco reared its ugly head, for the following reasons:

My favorite bands are Yes, Genesis, The Moody Blues, and Pink Floyd.

Albums released by Yes between 1971 -1980 (which is technically the decade of the 1970s):

The Yes Album (1971)
Fragile (1971)
Close to the Edge (1972)
Tales from Topographic Oceans (1973)
Relayer (1974)
Going for the One (1977)
Tormato (1978)
Drama (1980)

Drama doesn't really do it for me; I much prefer 90125. But those are the ones released in that decade.

Albums released by Genesis between 1971 -1980:

Nursery Cryme (1971)
Foxtrot (1972)
Selling England by the Pound (1973)
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (1974)
A Trick of the Tail (1976)
Wind & Wuthering (1976)
...And Then There Were Three... (1978)
Duke (1980)

Again, I much prefer Abacab to Duke, but...

Albums released by The Moody Blues between 1971 -1980:

A Question of Balance (1970)
Every Good Boy Deserves Favour (1971)
Seventh Sojourn (1972)
Octave (1978)

Here is where I run in to a bit of a problem, as I much prefer Days of Future Past, In Search of the Lost Chord, and To Our Children's Children's Children, but the musical staff lines named album of the 1970's is among my favorites.

Albums released by Pink Floyd between 1971 -1980:

Meddle (1971) Echoes!!!
Obscured by Clouds (1972)
The Dark Side of the Moon (1973)
Wish You Were Here (1975)
Animals (1977)
The Wall (1979)

...'nuff said.

Of my two very favorite albums, Jon Anderson's Olias of Sunhillow (1976) and the soundtrack to the film Koyaanisqatsi (1982), only one falls within the 1970s. And when I look at single mp3s I have downloaded to media player, I'm all over the place. From old recordings of Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, through A-ha's Take on Me, to Savage Garden's I Want You. Not to mention various ambient and trance cuts which I barely know the titles of, much less the artists who perform them. I rely on Hearts of Space for that.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Iolanthe wrote:
Frostheart wrote::lol: See my links above. Metal comes in all flavors, this time Gothic/operatic.
Frosty, those I can live with. I loved the whole sound - perhaps that is akin to my liking for Queen and Days of Future Past, oh and ELO. The first one made me think of Greig's Wedding Day at Troldhaugen for some reason. The second one has a very Irish feel in places.
Both Finnish bands, tho. ;) But glad you liked. There's oodles more from both in Youtube, if you're ever interested in listening to some other songs. And generally excellent female-fronted metal from umpteen other bands, from folksy tunes to operatic to medieval to the harder, partially blackened materials like something from Аркона. The lead performs a great deal of clear-vocal songs also.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9wylzyFcKM
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Ah, Menolly, Days of Future Past - and it's zenith, Nights in White Satin, followed by Sunset and the poem of course. I think C has all the albums downstairs. Unfortunately I don't have my original. I swopped it temporarily for a Johnny Cash album, Fulsom Prison Blues I think, and never got my original back, but C bought me a replacement a few years ago.

Frosty, I have a problem. I can only work in complete silence, so I don't play music up here much, BUT, someday I will listen to more Nightwish on YouTube. I loved it.
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

I'll think on it a little more then, very hard to choose.

Io, very glad you liked Nightwish) Frosty, thanks for suggesting) One more - a very good one of theirs, and a beautiful video - fan-made, if I'm not mistaken Moondance - Nightwish

And may I ask, how about these? HIM - In Joy And Sorrow and Marilyn Manson - Disassociative

Frosty, lots of good metal in the 80's as well, can it be you don't know Yngwie and Manowar? Yngwie J. Malmsteen - Far Beyond The Sun, The Crown and the Ring - Manowar
A role-player, beware
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

If it wasn't for disco, Eve couldn't make cakes like this:

;)
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

pshaw, stevie.
That's not disco.
That's early 1970's psychedelic!
...even though the male cut out is doing a Travolta.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Menolly wrote:My favorite bands are Yes, Genesis, The Moody Blues, and Pink Floyd.

Albums released by Yes between 1971 -1980 (which is technically the decade of the 1970s):

The Yes Album (1971)
Fragile (1971)
Close to the Edge (1972)
Tales from Topographic Oceans (1973)
Relayer (1974)
Going for the One (1977)
Tormato (1978)
Drama (1980)

Drama doesn't really do it for me; I much prefer 90125. But those are the ones released in that decade.

Albums released by Genesis between 1971 -1980:

Nursery Cryme (1971)
Foxtrot (1972)
Selling England by the Pound (1973)
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (1974)
A Trick of the Tail (1976)
Wind & Wuthering (1976)
...And Then There Were Three... (1978)
Duke (1980)

Again, I much prefer Abacab to Duke, but...

Albums released by The Moody Blues between 1971 -1980:

A Question of Balance (1970)
Every Good Boy Deserves Favour (1971)
Seventh Sojourn (1972)
Octave (1978)

Here is where I run in to a bit of a problem, as I much prefer Days of Future Past, In Search of the Lost Chord, and To Our Children's Children's Children, but the musical staff lines named album of the 1970's is among my favorites.

Albums released by Pink Floyd between 1971 -1980:

Meddle (1971) Echoes!!!
Obscured by Clouds (1972)
The Dark Side of the Moon (1973)
Wish You Were Here (1975)
Animals (1977)
The Wall (1979)

...'nuff said.

Of my two very favorite albums, Jon Anderson's Olias of Sunhillow (1976) and the soundtrack to the film Koyaanisqatsi (1982), only one falls within the 1970s. And when I look at single mp3s I have downloaded to media player, I'm all over the place. From old recordings of Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, through A-ha's Take on Me, to Savage Garden's I Want You. Not to mention various ambient and trance cuts which I barely know the titles of, much less the artists who perform them. I rely on Hearts of Space for that.
Add to that Rush's stuff (Rush - Permanent Waves), and you can see why it was easy for me to pick the '70's.

PS - Rhapsody in Blue is my favorite classical piece, ever.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Iolanthe wrote:
Vader wrote:• panpipe bands (because of my guinea pigs)
Why don't guinea pigs like panpipe bands? We kept guinea pigs when I was a child, but they lived outside. My gerbil (Sebastian) didn't seem to mind what music I played. :D
You'd have to watch South Park to understand it. There's one episode where they ban all Peruvian panpipe bands not knowing that their only function was to keep guinea pigs from turning malicious and taking over the world.

Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Vader wrote:
Iolanthe wrote:
Vader wrote:• panpipe bands (because of my guinea pigs)
Why don't guinea pigs like panpipe bands? We kept guinea pigs when I was a child, but they lived outside. My gerbil (Sebastian) didn't seem to mind what music I played. :D
You'd have to watch South Park to understand it. There's one episode where they ban all Peruvian panpipe bands not knowing that their only function was to keep guinea pigs from turning malicious and taking over the world.

:lol: I've never heard of South Park (the TV show?).

Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Effaeldm wrote: Frosty, lots of good metal in the 80's as well, can it be you don't know Yngwie and Manowar? Yngwie J. Malmsteen - Far Beyond The Sun, The Crown and the Ring - Manowar
I know both--I listen to Manowar occasionally, but for some reason, I enjoy more the Finnish Manowar parody band Teräsbetoni. :P
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdChHVDwGQQ
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVM2paTH2vY

HIM...I really can't get over the fact that Ville Valo used to be the target of squeeage of every 14-year-old girl some time back. :lol: Hence he kind of remains an eternal teenage idol in my mind.

So, does any Ukrainian metal exist? :D We've listed a fair deal of Finnish bands, but then again, the metal scene here stands massive compared to the number of inhabitants.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

dANdeLION wrote:PS - Rhapsody in Blue is my favorite classical piece, ever.
Mine as well, although I much prefer a well performed piano version with orchestra over a full symphonic version. Even though a well played clarinet opening can still give me chills when heard live.
Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

For me it's the 80s although more accurate would be 77-85. New wave music as well as much straight rock n roll that got mixed in with it like Tom Petty is my favorite.

I also love 90s music but feel like the music I like from that decade was really a progression from what was started in the 80s. I still label a lot of music from the 90s and 00s as "Modern Rock" which I call anything similar but outside the new wave years.
~I was born to rock the boat. Some will sink but we will float. Grab your coat. Let's get out of here. You're my witness. I'm your Mutineer~ - Warren Zevon
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Ah, so you and Cail now officially have a lot in common :biggrin:

I was listening to one of those 80s count downs the other day, and it certainly brought back many memories from my 'growing up' years. But I'm still definitely a 90s boy!

I remember hearing Radiohead's Creep and wanting to hear more - then I moved through Green Day, NIN, Tool, Rage Against the Machine, Nirvana, the Cruel Sea, Stone Temple Pilots, Red Hot Chili Peppers, R.E.M, the Violent Femmes, Nick Cave, Hoodoo Gurus, Dinosaur Jr, Smashing Pumpkins, You am I, Lemonheads, Blur, Silverchair, Soundgarden, Live, Beck, Tori Amos, Tea Party, Everclear, Custard, TISM, Garbage, Regurgitator, Faith No More, Foo Fighters, Pulp, Skunkhour, Pollyanna, Grinspoon, Massive Attack, Spiderbait, Ben Folds Five, Bush, Butthole Surfers, the Prodigy, Weezer, Powderfinger, Fauves, Ash, Cake, Jamiroquai, Pearl Jam, Metallica, Bad Religion, Frenzal Rhomb, The Whitlams, The Superjesus, the Living End, Ben Harper, Mark of Cain, Dandy Warhols, Korn, Eels, They Might Be Giants, Eskimo Joe, Powderfinger, Fatboy Slim, Sonic Animation, Jebediah, Augie March, Placebo, Ben Lee, Shihad, George to name but a few... :biggrin:

... and came to the realisation that I'm stuck in the 90s!
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

Stevie,
Just for Live and Dave Matthews Band the 90s get rated great by me. Throw in Alanis, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Better Than Ezra, etc. and it made it a tough choice for me.
~I was born to rock the boat. Some will sink but we will float. Grab your coat. Let's get out of here. You're my witness. I'm your Mutineer~ - Warren Zevon
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

StevieG wrote:Ah, so you and Cail now officially have a lot in common :biggrin:

I was listening to one of those 80s count downs the other day, and it certainly brought back many memories from my 'growing up' years. But I'm still definitely a 90s boy!

I remember hearing Radiohead's Creep and wanting to hear more - then I moved through Green Day, NIN, Tool, Rage Against the Machine, Nirvana, the Cruel Sea, Stone Temple Pilots, Red Hot Chili Peppers, R.E.M, the Violent Femmes, Nick Cave, Hoodoo Gurus, Dinosaur Jr, Smashing Pumpkins, You am I, Lemonheads, Blur, Silverchair, Soundgarden, Live, Beck, Tori Amos, Tea Party, Everclear, Custard, TISM, Garbage, Regurgitator, Faith No More, Foo Fighters, Pulp, Skunkhour, Pollyanna, Grinspoon, Massive Attack, Spiderbait, Ben Folds Five, Bush, Butthole Surfers, the Prodigy, Weezer, Powderfinger, Fauves, Ash, Cake, Jamiroquai, Pearl Jam, Metallica, Bad Religion, Frenzal Rhomb, The Whitlams, The Superjesus, the Living End, Ben Harper, Mark of Cain, Dandy Warhols, Korn, Eels, They Might Be Giants, Eskimo Joe, Powderfinger, Fatboy Slim, Sonic Animation, Jebediah, Augie March, Placebo, Ben Lee, Shihad, George to name but a few... :biggrin:

... and came to the realisation that I'm stuck in the 90s!
:lol: I've heard of 5 of those! My son was a fan of Rush, Guns 'n Roses, Marillion and Dire Straits among others I can't remember so I am quite well versed in their music. I love the microwave oven song.

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Endy - it's hard to define an actual favourite decade isn't it! If you love music, then it comes from many decades. My discovery came down to organising a party and realising that most of the songs were from the 90s.

Iolanthe - I'm impressed that you know at least 5 :lol: (not bad for a virtual mother...) Interesting that you like one of the more controversial Dire Straits songs! It attracted a lot of criticism (incorrectly imo) at the time from various groups for the lyrics.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

StevieG wrote:Iolanthe - I'm impressed that you know at least 5 :lol: (not bad for a virtual mother...) Interesting that you like one of the more controversial Dire Straits songs! It attracted a lot of criticism (incorrectly imo) at the time from various groups for the lyrics.
:lol: Ah, I'm a "with it" old lady! I don't actually know the words, I just join in when it gets to the "microwave oven" bit. I like other Dire Straits songs too!

Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

Sting also just chimes in :D
A role-player, beware
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that! That's Sting doing the "I want my, I want my, I want my MTV" in the background.

I think my favourite Dire Straits album is "Love Over Gold" which has Telegraph Road, which ranks highly in my favourite song list. Also "Private Investigations" was a favourite of mine.

Oh wait! There was that live album which was fantastic too - what was it called? Alchemy! That's it. That received plenty of airplay at home!
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

Stevie,
What I find about 90s music is it isn't dated at all. In the 90s, 70s music sounded really retro. In the 2010s, 90s music still sounds fresh like today's music.

Return to “Vespers”