Your decade

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

Which is your decade?

Pre 60s
No votes
60s
10%
70s
35%
80s
25%
90s
15%
Post 2000
15%

Total votes: 20

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

StevieG wrote:Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that! That's Sting doing the "I want my, I want my, I want my MTV" in the background.
Oh, and here I was wracking my brain over which Dire Straits song was "the microwave oven" song. I'm guessing you mean Money for Nothing? That video blew me away when I first saw it. Unfortunately, the only copy I could find edited out the Culture Club/Boy George lyric...
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Yes, it's Money for Nothing. I also remember Sultans of Swing and Romeo and Juliet? Just heard passing his bedroom door. :D
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

Skateaway is another classic by them.
~I was born to rock the boat. Some will sink but we will float. Grab your coat. Let's get out of here. You're my witness. I'm your Mutineer~ - Warren Zevon
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

I wonder if anyone here heard this one - Wild Theme (Local Hero soundtrack) (in case anyone wonders, Mark Knopfler is the vocalist from Dire Straits). I also like Brothers In Arms much. And, well, there are many many, many others by them :D
A role-player, beware
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Endymion9 wrote:Stevie,
What I find about 90s music is it isn't dated at all. In the 90s, 70s music sounded really retro. In the 2010s, 90s music still sounds fresh like today's music.
In the words of the indomitable Hashi Lebwohl (the Watcher :D ) - I concur! It doesn't sound dated at all.

Io - Romeo and Juliet is indeed a classic of Dire Straits.

Eff - The Local Hero soundtrack is really very special, and the one you linked is a highlight. I distinctly remember Mark Knopfler's influence on The Princess Bride, which set the mood for the whole movie.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

It's the 80,s for me ,its when I started buying and getting into music or at least I was more aware of it it reminds me of the cheap tape recorded I had lol
A lie well told and told often enough,I'm damned if the truth will ever catch up with it!
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

I chose the 60's although I was a child then, but I grew up on the Beatles, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Moody Blues, Peter, Paul and Mary, Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, The Band, Led Zep-- I probably should have said '66-76.

Little has equalled or surpassed some of that music, or the effect it had on me. :)

That's not to say I don't listen to new stuff. Plenty of Coldplay, etc in my mp3.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I do not have a decade. As a younger child I listened to all my parents' records of 70s music they had so I am well-versed in those. In high school, while everyone else was tuning in to all the admittedly great 80s music I was indulging in rock & roll from 53 - 63 and big band music from the 40s. In college I was into alternative stuff but by the mid 90s I was mostly only listening to what were colloquially called "olides" at that time, mostly 60s and some 70s.

These days, when I browse music online I settle on excellent selections from the 20s and 30s--check out edmundusrex on youtube, he has an amazing playlist--and blues, which is actually timeless and not classifiable by decade.

That being said...I do listen to Sonic Assembly every week on 89.3, a local community radio station that has earned the title "best radio station in Dallas" two years in a row. Sonic Assembly is all over the map, both in time and space, because the DJs have very eclectic tastes.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Billy G.
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Billy G. »

I chose the '70s as I started listening when I was 13 in Apr. 1970, My brother has always looked down on me because of that. :lol:

He was more of a Jethro Tull and Cream kinda guy. (Born 1948)

[Although we both agree on Pink Floyd - common ground] :D

Return to “Vespers”