Kevin's Watch - what is it really?

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

bikebryan wrote: All we know about Trothgard was that it was the site of the final battle between the old Lords and Lord Foul's armies. In the original Chronicles, it was stated that Trothgard smoked and "bled" for centuries after that battle. It wasn't until the Lords found the second ward that they found ways to start the true healing of Trothgard.

That does, however, give me some idea of the SCALE of that powers that must have been unleashed on both sides. We see the power of the Raver/Illearth Stone/Staff of Law in TPTP, yet it produced nothing like the description of Troghgard.
The Old Lords with a full mastery of Kevin's lore could have and did unleash power like has never been seen since in the Land.

The basic problem is that Earthpower alone is not an answer to Foul. He's basically immune to Earthpower, which is why the power of command doesn't affect him and the Elohim are powerless against him (probably why he's so comfortable in an alliance with Kasty).

I'm sure the Old Lords could destroy huge tracts of land, kill thousands upon thousands of Foul's lackeys in battle, decimate whole geographic features like mountains. But in the end Kevin realized that all the Lore in the Earth would be insufficient to stop Foul.

But it would have been awesome to see one of these Lords in battle with a full mastery of the Seven Wards.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I'm not sure the Old Lords were that strong. Of course they were mightier than Mhoram et al, and Kevin wielding the Staff of Law would've been a sight to see. But we mustn't forget that ALL of the Old Lords were slaughtered by ur-viles prior to the Ritual of Desecration. It seems to me that if they were as powerful as you suggest, they should've been able to hold their own.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

dlbpharmd wrote:I'm not sure the Old Lords were that strong. Of course they were mightier than Mhoram et al, and Kevin wielding the Staff of Law would've been a sight to see. But we mustn't forget that ALL of the Old Lords were slaughtered by ur-viles prior to the Ritual of Desecration. It seems to me that if they were as powerful as you suggest, they should've been able to hold their own.
I don't know...maybe it's just cuz there were a heck of a lot more ur-viles then. I mean...Loric, apparently all by himself, got rid of the Viles.
And at least 1/2 of the damage caused by RoD was Kevin's power.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

Vraith wrote:
dlbpharmd wrote:I'm not sure the Old Lords were that strong. Of course they were mightier than Mhoram et al, and Kevin wielding the Staff of Law would've been a sight to see. But we mustn't forget that ALL of the Old Lords were slaughtered by ur-viles prior to the Ritual of Desecration. It seems to me that if they were as powerful as you suggest, they should've been able to hold their own.
I don't know...maybe it's just cuz there were a heck of a lot more ur-viles then. I mean...Loric, apparently all by himself, got rid of the Viles.
And at least 1/2 of the damage caused by RoD was Kevin's power.
Actually, Loric and his lords needed the Demondim's help to win against the Viles. From what I gathered, the Ur-viles were diminished by the Desecration just like the New Lords so the field evened out (they didn't stand a chance against the Demondim Esmer brought from the past even though when they both existed the Ur-viles were apparently just if not more powerful than the Demondim). There's also the whole self-destructiveness facet of these species to consider.
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

Yes the ur-Vile loremasters pre-ROD were probably much more powerful than post-ROD. Besides there might have been millions of them vs a handful of Old Lords.

Is Star Wars the mighty Jedi get decimated by a bunch of clone troopers and battle droids. Strength in numbers.

I'm still certain that the Old Lords had power enough to destroy a mountain.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Horrim Carabal wrote:Yes the ur-Vile loremasters pre-ROD were probably much more powerful than post-ROD. Besides there might have been millions of them vs a handful of Old Lords.

Is Star Wars the mighty Jedi get decimated by a bunch of clone troopers and battle droids. Strength in numbers.

I'm still certain that the Old Lords had power enough to destroy a mountain.
Also the element of surprise. Not even Earth-shattering power will save you if you enter somewhere with your guard down and get zapped in the back of the head.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

Right. Like Treacher's Gorge. thats where they were slaughtered.

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”