Vampire: Dark Ages (Vienna) - Chapter 5: The Docks

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Vampire: Dark Ages (Vienna) - Chapter 5: The Docks

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Marianna of Twinsriver had been awake for several hours now. However, she was still wrapped within a tapestry, itself part of a larger pile of fibercrafts. She could hear the sound of men talking. Perhaps they were shouting, but the many layers of thick cloth muffled the sounds. But clearly, men's voices.

After some time, she felt the weight of the pile decreasing, and then her own roll was unburdened by those above. A man's voice said to her, from very near by, "Please bide a short while longer, Mistress. It would not do to emerge in this place."

Marianna had fed only a few days before, and was not yet ravenous, so she chooses to honor the request. Her tapestry is lifted gently and moved. She could feel herself lifted some distance, and then placed back down upon other tapestries. And she could hear horses now, and the rattle of a wagon.

Shortly, the wagon began to roll forward, and she could hear the sounds of a city without. No more than half an hour were spent thus, when a gate could be heard opening and then closing behind her. Then a woman's voice, strong and imperious, says, "Okay, take the tapestry down. Quickly, but reverently. Our guest has been delayed too long already." Marianna feels herself lifted, and then the whole thing is unrolled gently, and she is revealed.

Before her stands Isabelle von Tuscany, matching the description she had been given by Daemon. The lady is as beautiful as Daemon had said, and as elegant. And the lady knelt down and offered Marianna her own noble hand. "My dear, please accept my deepest apologies for the delay. My childe Casper was to have met your barge at dusk, but... well, he will be punished for his negligence. You are a guest here in my name, and I will brook no insults to my guests."
Last edited by Goatkiller666 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marianna of Twinsriver
Servant of the Land

Post by Marianna of Twinsriver »

Marianna takes Isabelle's hand and rises. She gives a curtsey and says, "I am deeply honored, Lady Isabelle, to finally make your acquaintance. Daemon has spoken highly of you."

Marianna straightens her clothing briefly and asks, "I understand that I am to present myself to the prince of Vienna as soon as I arrive?"
The Councillor
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

"Yes, of course, within reason. If you're tired from your travels, it can be postponed until tomorrow. Her Majesty doesn't always receive petitioners this late. However, when your unveiling was delayed, I sent a messenger to Prince Katarina, and was informed that she would be pleased to be interrupted from her leisure once you were found."

"Would you care to feed, or to freshen up before we attend her?"

Marianna's clothing is rumpled and creased from being so tightly wrapped, and was chosen to avoid bulges within the carpet. She would need to change into something more formal for such a presentation.

Isabella claps her hands twice, and a man and woman, both very attractive and both mortal, enter the room. "These two will conduct you to the suite I have set aside for you. Your traveling trunks are already there. And, of course, you may feed from either or both of them as you please. I ask only that they be treated gently. These two are a matching set, and I'm quite fond of them, you see."
Marianna of Twinsriver
Servant of the Land

"I would indeed, like to freshen up and feed before I meet the prince.

"I thank you for your kind consideration."

Marianna cleans up, changes her clothing and gently feeds from the two offered her by Isabelle, leaving them alive and well.
The Councillor
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

[Fast forward summary!]

The two, slightly woozy and yet flushed from the pleasure of being fed upon, lead Marianna back to the parlor where Isabelle awaits her. She smiles at Marianna, a smile that grows brighter once she has observed that the two are unharmed and well pleased with the experience.

She takes Marianna's hand and personally leads her to a waiting coach, which in turn leaves the household and proceeds through the city for several blocks. That stops in front of the ducal palace, and the coachmen help the two ladies down to the ground.

The guards bow deeply to you both, and open the gates wide for your entry to the courtyard. A man is there, a mortal servant of the Prince, it would seem.

"Her Majesty will see you in her throne room. Please follow me."

The man leads the two through several large halls, and eventually to a large stately room high in the palace. Mortal throne rooms are normally on the ground floor and central to the entrance of the building, but his is a huge room high in the palace, with large windows overlooking the city.

On the throne is an older woman, though her inner strength is clear even from across the large expanse. She no longer carries the flower of youth, and yet it is clear that centuries of unlife and immense strength of will and elder blood have wiped away whatever frailties her age may have added. The greying of her hair, and the lines of her face now only give her an air of majesty that cannot be denied.

Before the servant can introduce them, the Prince rises from her throne and walks towards the pair. "Lady von Tuscany, you honor us with your presence. I had expected Ulrecht or that pretty childe of yours to be here. How unexpected."

"Ulrecht and the boy are away with other tasks, Majesty. And, with how my servants had mishandled things, I thought it only fitting to personally apologize to you for this one's delay. It is entirely my own transgression, and I am in your debt for any insult it may have caused." Isabelle bows low to the Prince, who holds out her hand to welcome her back up.

"Oh posh. All was forgiven when I received your note." adds the Prince.

"Then, your Majesty, may I present Marianna of Twinsriver, sent to us from Florence by her Sire Daemon, my clan-mate and sometime co-conspirator." she turns to Marianna, "Marianna, bow before her Majesty Prince Katarina von Badenberg, childe of Hardestadt himself, absolute ruler of Vienna and its environs, etcetera etcetera." Back to the Prince, "You really do have far too many titles, Majesty."
Marianna of Twinsriver
Servant of the Land

Marianna bows deeply and says, "I am deeply honored to be received by your Majesty and I regret any inconvenience our tardiness may have caused you."
The Councillor
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

"Rise, Marianna of Twinsriver. And you owe no debt of honor for your tardiness. All of that falls to Isabella's shoulders, as she has just admitted."

She holds out her hand to Marianna, with a smile on her face. The smile doesn't seem to get all the way to her eyes.

"And what will be your role, here in my city? Isabella asked that you be included in her own ranks. What are your skills, dear?" As she speaks, she waves at the man standing beside the throne. He bows and then returns with two chamber maids.

Isabella says, "My own childe Casper is being sent away to stay with this one's sire, my friend Daemon in Florence. Perhaps the two of them can be..." she says before she is interrupted.

"Let her answer, please." says the Prince, before looking at Marianna.
Marianna of Twinsriver
Servant of the Land

"Well, Sire, my talents are yet to be fully realized but I've shown considerable success at persuasion. It was Daemon's wish that I present myself to you and continue to hone this skill under Isabella's tutelage."
The Councillor
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

The prince nods. "Well spoken, young lady. Your sire has taught you manners and respect, at least."

"Well, we will find uses for persuasive Cainites in my city. Yes indeed."

She turns to her servant. "Let it be written that Marianna, child of Daemon, of the Clan Toreador, is granted leave to reside in Vienna and to hunt among its chattal, save those kine who are specifically claimed by other Cainites. She is bound by Vienna's laws, and subject to the rules of its Prince and of Primogen Isabella."

Turning back to Marianna, she smiles, not unkindly, "Welcome to Vienna, my dear. Now, tell me... what do you know of silver, or of lupines? We seem to have too many of the latter, and not enough of the former. If you can help on either of these items, your status will rise quickly."
Marianna of Twinsriver
Servant of the Land

Majesty, answering the questions you seek may be the perfect vehicle to enhance my persuasion skills.

It may be that I can acquire more silver in order to deal with lupines. If you would grant me some time, I can investigate my options and report to you, forthwith.
The Councillor
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

"You will have your time, Marianna of Twinsriver. But not too much. One of my vampires has been slain already, and several of my kine. It cannot be allowed to continue for long."

Marianna can notice the Prince suddenly sag, as if she grew tired in a moment. "And, there I feel the wretched sun inching towards my sky. I bid you both adieu. Return here to me when you have procured more silver, Marianna of Twinsriver."

Isabelle bows deeply, and then leads Marianna back out to the carriage. "The Prince's habit is to retire early for the day, but we must also not dally if we are to be settled before slumber takes us."

[Let's wrap up the night, an pick up in the evening in a new thread. You joined the game towards the end of the evening.]
Marianna of Twinsriver
Servant of the Land

[Ok, just tell me which thread to go to.]
The Councillor
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

[You will eventually start here, but that thread is locked right now while we wait for Lament's thread to conclude for the night. Everyone will start the next evening together.]

Return to “Vampire: Dark Ages”