Quick Question/s

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

Major Isoor
Woodhelvennin

Quick Question/s

Post by Major Isoor »

Sorry if I should've posted in an existing thread, but I really didn't want to stumble upon any spoilers!

Anyway, I've just gotten to the part where Linden and co. have fled Mithil Stonedown and have encountered Stave, followed shortly by a pack of Kresh. (where Anele also becomes sane - at least for now, I suppose). But yeah, I was mainly curious about the return of the Ramen, since I'm sure it never said that they were 'barely taller than the Kresh', which has kind of changed my envisioning of them a fair bit! :D (not that I had thought that they were tall or anything before, but still) I certainly hope that this means the Ranyhyn are back in force, as it's been quite a while since they've even had a mention!

Also, I at least, am quite happy about the return of the ur-viles! I, as Linden had, thought that they were killed off by Foul, which was a sad thought indeed; especially since they had 'became good' (well, from what I could gather at the time) during the second chronicles, so it kind of makes things even, after them taking part in the war during the first chronicles, on Foul's side. Hopefully they'll be involved further, after their first encounter.

More questions and comments to follow, I'm sure! :biggrin:

[mod edit - no need for spoilers for ROTE related questions in this forum.]
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I think what SRD means when he's referring to the size of the kresh compared to the height of the Ramen is that the kresh are just that damn big.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

dlbpharmd wrote:I think what SRD means when he's referring to the size of the kresh compared to the height of the Ramen is that the kresh are just that damn big.
My impression, too...seemed implied elsewhere as well...kresh aren't just wolf-ish, but giant wolf-ish....something like their shoulders being closer to human shoulder height than human knee/thigh height.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Major Isoor
Woodhelvennin

Post by Major Isoor »

Ah, alright then yeah, I do recall it saying that Kresh were larger than regular wolves - the thing that threw me off was that I believe in one sentence it said something like 'the Ramen were barely taller than the Kresh'. (or something similar to that, at least. Can't really remember exactly now, as it was the other day when I read that bit) Not really suggesting they're incredibly small, but I thought maybe it might've been suggesting that they were maybe a head shorter than your average person, which I didn't get the impression of in the First Chrons.

But yeah, I reckon you're right; I must've just misinterpreted what SRD had written, there.
pkfridley
Stonedownor

Post by pkfridley »

I'm picturing some fan fiction about a gravelingas of Mithil Stonedown, finding a family of five orphaned kresh pups near Kevin's Watch, and considers bringing them home to his kids -- and then sees a sixth pup the color of WHITE GOLD...
"Once bread becomes toast, it can never go back." -- Ajax Duckman
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Do they give the kresh pups some femurs to play with? If so, we can call it A Game of Bones.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

One day a curious boy by the name of Pietten beholds Covenant and Elena bathing together in a lake, and gets thrown down a mountainside...
pkfridley
Stonedownor

Post by pkfridley »

Wayfriend -- if the main character is a gravelingas, it obviously has to be A Flame of Stones.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Well played!

And if it's a story about a guy who always dodges responsibility by saying it must have been someone who looked like him: A Claim of Clones.
pkfridley
Stonedownor

Post by pkfridley »

I'm only a book into the Last Chronicles, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that I'm going to see A Clash of Rings.
Major Isoor
Woodhelvennin

Post by Major Isoor »

Hah, very good, you two :biggrin:

Anyway, I've got enough quick question, that's possibly doesn't actually have a single correct answer/response: how do you all pronounce 'caesures'? I was wondering about that at first, but now I just pronounce it similarish to 'seizures', if only to be able to progress with the book, rather than sit there thinking about it each time I encounter the word! :D

But yeah, I guess you could also pronounce it more like 'kesures', or something similar. I myself have no clue and am interested to see if everyone else here tends to pronounce it one way, or if there are a lot of various pronunciations that people use for it.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I'm sure wayfriend could find the exact GI answer, but I believe SRD said at one point that pronunciation is up to the reader. He, as the author, feels he should have no input on the reader's experience as far as the way the reader would pronounce various words.

So, if SRD feels that way, who are we to say how the words are pronounced for someone else?

However, Scott Brick said he did sit with SRD and went over pronunciation of words with him for the audiobooks of the chrons that he narrates. So if you would like to hear SRD's pronunciations, give Scott's readings a listen.
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

I've always thought of it in my head as "kaysures".
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Major Isoor
Woodhelvennin

Post by Major Isoor »

Ah, well sadly I don't listen to a lot of audio books - I'm not normally driving long distances, (and half the time I'm driving my younger sister, who seems to like speaking over things, if you know what I mean!) but I'll definitely keep it in mind for when I do go on a long/longish drive somewhere! Rereading(/listening?) Covenant books is never a bad thing, after all! :D

And yeah, that makes sense for me, Iolanthe - the 'C' is what was throwing me off, as to how to pronounce it!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

"Seizures," with a little extra stress on the second syllable.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

"Seizures", too. Can anyone tell us how Scott Brick pronounces it?
In the Gradual Interview, Stephen R Donaldson wrote:I pronounce caesure as "seizure". A deliberate play on both "caesura" and "seizure."

(12/09/2004)
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

One obvious pronounciation is to compare the word with the location of Joan. This will make sense when you remember that Linden supresses her feelings. Foul then magnifies this and adds corruption.

Caesures are good.

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”