THE MAN WHO KILLED HIS BROTHER, Ch 6

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

Dragonlily
Lord

THE MAN WHO KILLED HIS BROTHER, Ch 6

Post by Dragonlily »

THE MAN WHO KILLED HIS BROTHER, Chapter 6

Brew has just discovered that Alathea is only the latest in a long series of 12 & 13-year-old girls who have disappeared in the past two years. All of them before her have been found dead, addicted to heroin and evidently prostitutes. The police had not connected the cases, until Brew and Ginny’s investigation nudged Sergeant Encino into looking for more like Alathea.
Brew wrote:[Ginny] came in so fast that she almost hit me with the door. Her eyes jumped back and forth between Encino and me, trying to figure out what was going on. She was on the alert, ready to explode ... I was so glad to see her that I wanted to hug her. Just having her there made me steadier.
Ginny comes in like a tigress. Her grilling of Encino is interrupted by the entrance of Policewoman Rand. Evidently it would have been dangerous for police department politics, to let Rand know Encino was helping P.I.s investigate the "runaway" girls, so they help him by pretending he has refused. On their way out they providentially collide with Ted Hangst, another P.I., whose daughter has also disappeared and has sent him a note identical to the ones sent by the other missing girls.

Once Brew and Ginny have taken Ted out of sight of Policewoman Rand, they learn that Ted holds positive proof. The notes written by Alathea and Mittie are torn halves of the same piece of paper, and both girls have written something that they would never have written unless the notes were being dictated to them.

The kidnapper is working faster, taking girls more frequently. Ginny, Brew, and Ted now know for certain they have a serial kidnapper to catch – soon. Otherwise he will kill the little girls he has, capture more, and force them into prostitution and drugs.

Though seemingly busy filling us in on the facts of the other girls’ cases, SRD is also unobtrusively building Ted’s character for us. Feeling helpless in his loss, Ted has fastened on Brew and Ginny as his only hope.
Brew wrote:He must’ve been paying attention despite his grief. He ... fixed his watery eyes on me and didn’t let go.
The essentials for the seven preceding young girls are all the same. All were attractive, all failed to return home from school, all parents received notes telling them not to worry, all were found dead within a few months. All were labeled by the police as runaway heroin addicts who turned to prostitution to support their habits, and all the investigations were, by now, focused on where the girls got their drugs, rather than on the girls themselves.

This makes it seem a monstrous stretch when Ginny tries to reassure Ted by telling him they don’t have proof that the cases are tied together. I mean, hello, the same piece of paper?

Anyway, Ted doesn’t seem to pay much attention to her reassurance. He gets his assignment from Ginny but looks like he has other ideas he isn’t telling. He leaves in a hurry. Brew and Ginny agree on where Alathea must have been where she disappeared, then Ginny takes Brew home.

Brew knows he’s on the verge of another withdrawal crisis and has planned ahead. He told us in passing that he was eating a lot because he thought this would be the last food that would stay down for a while. But on the way home he is able to tell Ginny about how Encino changed his mind.

Here is another example of how little Brew appreciates his own good qualities. He doesn’t think it worth mentioning to us again that he was a hero and stopped a rape. Ginny isn't paying attention to Brew's heroism, she's focused on its effect on their case.
Brew wrote:That must’ve made a difference to her, because when she said good night she didn’t look anywhere near as worried as she had earlier. She looked like a woman who knew she was on the right track.
Last edited by Dragonlily on Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
W.B.
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by W.B. »

I'm glad you also found Ginny's insistence that they don't have conclusive proof to link the disappearances. Come on, Ginny! I am trying to think of why she would be so adamant on this--I mean, I understand the merits of keeping an open mind and not jumping to conclusions (and maybe in this Donaldson was trying to delineate as stark a contrast as possible between her and Brew), but there are limits. :)
Here is another example of how little Brew appreciates his own good qualities.
He seems at times to take a perverse pride in his hopelessness, like he's wearing an alcoholic badge and it's his identity (back to the "I'm a leper" / "I'm an alcoholic"). And later he'll excoriate himself for being useless to Ginny and so on. He needs to find a new identity for himself.
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

Stephen R. Donaldson Ate My Dictionary
W.B.
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by W.B. »

Oh yeah, I forgot to add, nice job summarizing, Joy!
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Thanks about the summary, W.B. I'm not in much shape for embroidering it, having been a tad under the weather the past few days.

I don't really think Ginny doubts, I think more she wanted to make Ted feel better, if possible. Of course it didn't work. He was in no mood to hear reassurances even if they were believable.

But the last sentence makes it look like Ginny really has bought their theory.
W.B. wrote:He needs to find a new identity for himself.
And here we have our "quest" theme. :)
kastenessen
Giantfriend

Post by kastenessen »

Great lead-in Joy! A lot of stuff in this chapter...

[b]Joy wrote:[/b]
[quote]This make it seem a monstruous stretch when Ginny tries to reassure Ted by telling him they don't have proof that the cases are tied together. I mean, hello, the same piece of paper?[/quote]

I agree Joy and W.B. You question this little part of the story. It's kind of obvious isn't it? But you might have a point Joy, this beeing a reassurance for Tred, though it wasn't what he needed at that point. But another thing has annoyed me about those sheets even more. It's that the sheets come from the not only the same kind of paper, but the same sheet of paper. But we know that it's three months between the Christie girl and Alathea and then some more days to Mittie. The same sheet of paper!... Why would a kidnapper do that?...leave such obvious evidence...or have I missed somethinghere?

Anyway...good charachters and milieu... Here are some stuff that gives character to the policedepartment and of the conflicts Brewing(!)...

[quote]In Puerta del Sol, the policedepartment is like the city- It's so fragmented and broken up into groups that can't stand oneanother, it's a wonderthey can agree enough of the time to get any work done at all. About the only time I've seen the cops stick together is when one of them gets killed.[/quote]

...like Brew's brother. :(

And a section that gives character to the city...and to Brew...

[quote]The streetlight are bright in that part of town, so you don't see many stars. But the streetlights don't fool anybody; the lights just made the shadows look more dangerous. The people of the streets-there are always a few-moved as if they have secrets to hide. The cars that went by were either going too slow or too fast. Night is the only time when I feel like I understand the city.[/quote]

And this Treddus Hangst, that is some name isn't it?...I like his character and his introduction. With only a few sentences he stands clear before us...
[quote]A short dried-up man came practically running into the office. He had thin grey-and-black hair sticking up in all directions, a stiff moustache covering his mouth, and a face looking like it'd been redesigned long ago by a pair of cleats. His eyes were bulging as if they were about to fall out...[/quote]

And when Brew explains of the other girls dissapearances, it becomes clear. Everything regarding those seven girls is so horrific, gruesome and brutal that it's sickens us. A kind of detached description makes it even more cynical and evil. All seven on drugs, 'intense sexual activity' and dying different horrible deaths...and they are only twelwe and thirteen years old...What is going on here?...A monster is loose on the town...W.B. you mentioned something in an earlier chapter about SRD and rape; there is something there, some trauma or...well something...

[b]W.B. wrote[/b]
[quote]He needs to find a new identity for himself.[/quote]
and
[b]Joy wrote:[/b]
[quote]And here we have the "quest" theme.[/quote]
Exactly! :) There is latent within Brew that he must heal himself. So much anger and hatred is aimed towards himself that there is no other way out. Let's hope everything works out fine with Brew, because he is the anti-hero we all love isn't he...very much alike TC...

This became a rather long post (I think), but you know, I got myself going... :)

kasten
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Don't worry about running too long, Kasten, I enjoyed reading your thoughts. :)
Kasten wrote:The same sheet of paper!... Why would a kidnapper do that?...leave such obvious evidence...or have I missed something here?
If I remember right, SRD said the notes from Carol Christie and Alathea were the same type of paper but the watermarks didn't match. (?) The notes where the watermarks and tear patterns matched were the notes of Alathea and Mittie Hangst, and they were taken only days apart.

We tend to think of paper as "paper," and not differentiate it by bond and weight in our everyday lives. Obviously the kidnapper felt the same.

Referring to the cases of the missing girls, Kasten wrote:
a kind of detached description makes it even more cynical and evil.
Yes, I felt that when Brew was reciting their files, but didn't know how to say it. Brew's tone was cynical about the people handling the cases, not about the girls.
Kasten wrote:W.B. you mentioned something in an earlier chapter about SRD and rape; there is something there, some trauma or...well something...
The only way we'll ever know is if it's written in Johnny Carson's sealed envelope. Maybe the young SRD's nursemaid in India suffered it or something, but idle speculation helps nothing, so I immediately retract that guess.

---
“I gained insights into despair and death that improved the quality of my work.” SRD - Science Fiction Review, Mar-Apr 1979
W.B.
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by W.B. »

Yes, I felt that when Brew was reciting their files, but didn't know how to say it. Brew's tone was cynical about the people handling the cases, not about the girls.
Yeah, I know what you mean. He's empathetic. He feels a lot of sympathy for the kids (so that makes the cynicism jar a bit, I think), kind of like Covenant, who turns out to be good at feeling other people's pain, especially if, like Brew, he either caused it or can't help it.

Great quotes about the city, kasten. It's too late for me to get into anything else, but there again, Brew is a night kind of guy.
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”