2012 Watchy Discussion

Spotlighting Watchers and posts that go Above and Beyond the call of duty.

Moderators: Menolly, [Syl]

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Well congrats guys, and thanks to Menolly and Syl for another year of Watchies.

So you want to switch it back to a normal forum?

Ok, is done.

--A
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Yes, congratulations to all whether you won or not, and thanks to [Syl] and Menolly for good organisation. It seems I won "Newbie of the Year"! Thanks guys. Do I get one of those brown/grey watchie things that I've seen around? If so, how?
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Savor Dam wrote:
[Syl] wrote:I ask that you keep this in a corner of your mind throughout the rest of the year. Keep it going and make it easier on yourself by spotlighting posts here in this forum.
Sheriff, now that the nomination and voting season is over, will the forum be reopened to the greater Watch community, or will it still be a membership-only operation?

The question is prompted by your encouragement of Spotlight posts. I would suggest that restricting posting to only registered members will lead to fewer Spotlight posts. Certainly, the existing cohort of Watchy forum members can easily spotlight posts at will. What of those who are not?

Some are current Watch members who just were not motivated enough to register for this Watchy season...but some future post will inspire them to want it to be remembered. They will come here, not remembering the membership restriction...and their initial attempt to post will fail. Some will stop there; others will persist and read the top-of-thread post and register. Hopefully, once their group membership is confirmed, their fervor to spotlight a post (indeed, their very recollection of the post they wanted to call attention to) will still burn brightly enough for them to consumate their original intent.

Then, there are those who do not even know about Spotlighting. Your co-mod is a powerful forum pimp and will spread the word repeatedly over the coming year. As long as she keeps mentioning the registration requirement and how to fulfill it, the new fish will learn the way here...but the risk here is that she will perhaps receive some feedback about her repeated promotion attempts that will wound her tender sensibilities and blunt her willingness to do her vital job.

Lift the membership requirement until the next voting season, and we can avoid all these risks and maximize the spotlighted rememberances of worthy posts.
I see you've grasped the Torch of Formality and taken it up a level, SD :lol:

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

ussusimiel wrote:
Savor Dam wrote:
[Syl] wrote:I ask that you keep this in a corner of your mind throughout the rest of the year. Keep it going and make it easier on yourself by spotlighting posts here in this forum.
Sheriff, now that the nomination and voting season is over, will the forum be reopened to the greater Watch community, or will it still be a membership-only operation?

The question is prompted by your encouragement of Spotlight posts. I would suggest that restricting posting to only registered members will lead to fewer Spotlight posts. Certainly, the existing cohort of Watchy forum members can easily spotlight posts at will. What of those who are not?

Some are current Watch members who just were not motivated enough to register for this Watchy season...but some future post will inspire them to want it to be remembered. They will come here, not remembering the membership restriction...and their initial attempt to post will fail. Some will stop there; others will persist and read the top-of-thread post and register. Hopefully, once their group membership is confirmed, their fervor to spotlight a post (indeed, their very recollection of the post they wanted to call attention to) will still burn brightly enough for them to consumate their original intent.

Then, there are those who do not even know about Spotlighting. Your co-mod is a powerful forum pimp and will spread the word repeatedly over the coming year. As long as she keeps mentioning the registration requirement and how to fulfill it, the new fish will learn the way here...but the risk here is that she will perhaps receive some feedback about her repeated promotion attempts that will wound her tender sensibilities and blunt her willingness to do her vital job.

Lift the membership requirement until the next voting season, and we can avoid all these risks and maximize the spotlighted rememberances of worthy posts.
I see you've grasped the Torch of Formality and taken it up a level, SD :lol:

u.

Jokohan on aika alkaa
Suomea supattamahan
Sanaisia suoltamahan
Kielehellä korialla
Katsos, kotomurtehella?
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

I think that I shall take to posting in
Iambic pentameter for my sin :lol:

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Iolanthe wrote:It seems I won "Newbie of the Year"! Thanks guys. Do I get one of those brown/grey watchie things that I've seen around? If so, how?
Definitely.

[Syl] needs to post in the And the winners are thread (as Avatar said, the Watchy Awards is [Syl]'s game, so I feel it is not my place to post the winners, even as co-mod) and you'll need to wait for ~jay to create and upload the 2012 Watchy icon to the store.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Well, previously the winners weren't known til it was announced. Now... Not really a need for it. The winners ere who the threads say they are. Thought about doing it anyway, but too many categories. Feel free, though.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Yes Menolly, post the winners if you would.

And stop being so self-effacing, you humble co-mod you. :lol:

--A

Return to “The Watchy Awards Forum”