So who is going to marry Linden and Covenant?

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

As soon as that happens they are both rightful wielders of their respective white gold rings.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Re: So who is going to marry Linden and Covenant?

Post by Orlion »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:So who is going to marry Linden and Covenant?
As soon as that happens they are both rightful wielders of their respective white gold rings.
It'll be at the beginning of time. Everyone will be there, form the least Wraith to the snottiest Elohim. Mhoram will officiate with Saltheart Foamfollower as best man and Hollian will be the maid of honor.

Foul, of course, will not have received his invitation and will swear to bring down time in retaliation for being snubbed.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Romeo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Romeo »

And the reception will be at The Restaurant at the End of the Universe? :-)
And then the ravens pecked out his eyes.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Romeo wrote:And the reception will be at The Restaurant at the End of the Universe? :-)
But if they arrive after the Worm does, there won't be any food left :P
- Herman Melville

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
High Lord Tolkien

Best Man will be Foamfollower,
Maid of Honor...?

Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Tongue-in-cheek nature of the responses aside, I can't imagine any sequence of events that would make Covenant and Linden rightful wielders. The ring that Linden bears belongs to Lord Foul. I believe that Roger, as Joan's heir, is the rightful wielder of her ring.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:Best Man will be Foamfollower,
Maid of Honor...?
I first caught this haphazardly from the corner of the lens and somehow read it as "maid of honor .. Foamfollower". D:
Now I have a mental image of him in a pink, frilly dress, and cannot get this blasphemy out of my skull. :sob:
RaverRats
Servant of the Land

Post by RaverRats »

In the chapter 3 preview Covenant says "Maybe I'm not the rightful wielder of "this" ring, but I can still use it". The "this" is in italics, which leads me to believe that Covenant is still considered, or can somehow become the rightful wielder of the ring Linden bears.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

RaverRats wrote:In the chapter 3 preview Covenant says "Maybe I'm not the rightful wielder of "this" ring, but I can still use it". The "this" is in italics, which leads me to believe that Covenant is still considered, or can somehow become the rightful wielder of the ring Linden bears.
I agree that the text can lead to that sort of conclusion, but it doesn't make any sense to me. TC gave the ring to LF at the end of WGW; LF hasn't given it back.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Yes, Covenant did place the ring in Foul's hand at the climax of WGW. Foul then killed him and completely expended himself as he tried to use wild magic to bring down the Arch while the shade of Covenant passively opposed him.

When Foul's presence gutted out, the ring rolled away...and Covenant very clearly (albeit gently) told Linden to Pick Up the Ring. What she then accomplished with it certainly appears to be the act of a rightful wielder.

dlb, you asked me a week or so ago why I felt the last line of WGW was a cliffhanger, and I have owed you an answer. This seems like an appropriate moment. Perhaps "cliffhanger" is not really the best term for what I meant, but having Linden resume her consciousness in the "real world" with the ring in her hand was of tremendous significance...and to make that disclosure in the closing words of the story certainly cried out for there to be more tale to tell.

Thus, the Last Chronicles, thirty years late.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
RaverRats
Servant of the Land

Post by RaverRats »

Anyway, to answer the post's question: Mahrtiir kind of looks priestly on the cover of Last Dark. He's got a kind of ceremonial presence about himself. He can marry them in Andelain with the Wraith's blessing the service.
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

I was under the impression that by telling Linden to pick up the ring, he "gave" it to her. He couldn't do that physically as he was a shade by then. But he gave her possession of it.

In doing that, she becomes a rightful wielder, allowing her to extinguish the sunbane and make the new Staff, but does that necessarily prevent TC from using the ring ever again?

Does he cease to be a rightful wielder by giving up the ring to someone else?

And yes, the fact that Linden has the ring upon her return to the "real world" is significant I think.
Krilly
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Krilly »

More importantly... Where's the bachelor party? Are the merewives coming?
High Lord Tolkien

dlbpharmd wrote:
Tongue-in-cheek nature of the responses aside, I can't imagine any sequence of events that would make Covenant and Linden rightful wielders. The ring that Linden bears belongs to Lord Foul. I believe that Roger, as Joan's heir, is the rightful wielder of her ring.
I didn't expect the joking either.

Foul essentially died at the end of WGW or Linden wouldn't have been returned to "normal".
And TC told Linden to take it.

TC is Joan's husband.
Everything of hers goes to him.

So they both have a good claim to each ring.
A marriage between the two would make them rightful owners.

It's been pointed out a few time that ownership is important.

Image Image Image Image
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Krilly wrote:More importantly... Where's the bachelor party? Are the merewives coming?
And are the Gianthomish Hunks performing in the girls' party? :p
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:
dlbpharmd wrote:
I didn't expect the joking either.

Foul essentially died at the end of WGW or Linden wouldn't have been returned to "normal".
And TC told Linden to take it.
Time to bring out the nuke.
SRD wrote:And I further concede that Covenant wanted Linden to claim his ring at the end of WGW. However she did it (unconsciously, one assumes), she was acting in accordance with his wishes. Or at least with his tacit approval.

But the brute fact is that Covenant *gave* the ring to Lord Foul. That made LF the "rightful" wielder of that ring. So he later dropped it. So Linden picked it up. So what? The point is that she *took* it. It wasn't *given* to her. It wasn't even *surrendered* to her.

And Covenant certainly didn't *marry* her with it. That's an important distinction, even if its import is more symbolic than literal.

(12/09/2010)
TC is Joan's husband.
Everything of hers goes to him.
Joan divorced TC before the beginning of Lord Foul's Bane. If anything, everything would go to Roger.
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Thanks, Orlion. I tried to search for that gem from the GI yesterday, but ran out of time.
thranathiril
Woodhelvennin

Post by thranathiril »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:Best Man will be Foamfollower,
Maid of Honor...?
She Who Must Not Be Named, clearly.

Return to “The Last Dark”