Memories of Ice [Spoilers]

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Hah, answered my own question just yesterday. Makes a lot more sense. Well, kinda. Maybe. Anyway. Reading on. :lol:
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Do double posts count if there's six months between them? Oh well :lol: .

Anyway, couple of things from my re-read: did anyone else completely fail to realise that Blend and Picker were lovers? That added a whole new dimension to their characters for me this time.

Also, I see why this book was written to be read after DG. Quite a few things were explained or referred to that went whizzing right over my head. The munitions being sent to Fiddler, for example, and Duiker appearing in the pub at the end. Mostly, though, the whole thing with Heboric and Fener. Always confused me a bit, but let me see if I've got this straight. The ritual severing of hands is a punishment for those who betray the Reve. The hands are sent to Fener (in his warren? Did her have a warren?), who then passes some kind of judgement on the betrayer. But Heboric didn't betray the Reve, he was put through the ritual and outcast for political reasons. Fener gave him those tattoos to indicate his displeasure, and was holding Heboric's hands in his realm til Heboric died, at which point Heboric would become some kind of avenging spirit. But when Heboric touched the jade obelisk, his spiritual hands became infused with chaos, which "pushed" Fener into the mortal realm.

Is that accurate?

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Pretty close. Except the tattoos weren't a sign of his displeasure...they were the mark of his rank in the priesthood.

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Actually not. They're the mark of the god's claim on his soul, after his hands were severed. See the scene where Capustan's high priest of Fener had his hands severed, and his body was spontaneously consumed by tattoos from some other opportunistic alien god jumping into the absent Fener's place.
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Thanks guys! :)

Post by Avatar »

Murrin wrote:Actually not. They're the mark of the god's claim on his soul, after his hands were severed. See the scene where Capustan's high priest of Fener had his hands severed, and his body was spontaneously consumed by tattoos from some other opportunistic alien god jumping into the absent Fener's place.
Can't be...
Spoiler
Because the"key" was tattooed on the severed hand, right, to match the "lock" on his chest and the severing prevented him from "opening the door" to Fener didn't it?
So the tattoos had to have already been there.

--A
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

While reading the excerpt that opens the Capustan book in MOI, I run across two familiar names that I had failed to notice during my previous reads. Ipshank and Manask.
Wide Eyed Stupid

Post by Avatar »

Good catch.

It either seems familiar because I noticed it once too, or because it happens again somewhere else, (because MoI seems too early for my memory), so if you're rereading, keep an eye out for them. :D

--A
Spiral Jacobs
Giantfriend

Post by Spiral Jacobs »

(late to the party, sorry)
Cambo wrote:Mostly, though, the whole thing with Heboric and Fener. Always confused me a bit, but let me see if I've got this straight. The ritual severing of hands is a punishment for those who betray the Reve. The hands are sent to Fener (in his warren? Did her have a warren?), who then passes some kind of judgement on the betrayer. But Heboric didn't betray the Reve, he was put through the ritual and outcast for political reasons. Fener gave him those tattoos to indicate his displeasure, and was holding Heboric's hands in his realm til Heboric died, at which point Heboric would become some kind of avenging spirit. But when Heboric touched the jade obelisk, his spiritual hands became infused with chaos, which "pushed" Fener into the mortal realm.
Now if you can just write similar summaries for all major characters I will have a glimpse of all the things I've missed and overlooked in this series. Thanks in advance. :P
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

I just got this email from amazon:
So, Child of the Dead Seed, how did this item meet your expectations?

Pampers Baby Dry Diapers Economy Pack Plus Size 4, 192 Count

Pampers
Child of the Dead Seed? What the hell?
Roach trotted over to sniff at the gleaming phlegm, then licked it up.

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson

Post by Avatar »

Uh...that's a bit freaky unless you gave that as your name when creating the account? :lol:

--A

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”