The best moment in the Last Chrons

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

Three that stand out to me, all from AATE:

1. When Jeremiah was using the marrowmeld skills to erect the bone structure, include his racecar and infuse it with all that Earthpower...a potent scene and image.

2. When TC used the krill as access to Joan's white gold magic to heal the fissures and cracks in his mind...another powerful scene that seems to me to be filled with possible implications for TLD.

3. I can't fail to mention the water castle witnessed in the Lost Deep. Those Viles sure had some serious know-how! Linden's going to need that lesson in TLD, I believe...
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Nice post earthbrah - Can't find the 'goodpost' button, why does that happen.

No's 1 & 3 particularly hit the spot. The viles are certainly denizens of the Land that it would have been worth seeing more of.

(When is TLD due out - is it some time this year?)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

peter wrote:
(When is TLD due out - is it some time this year?)
October.
Krilly
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Krilly »

A few stand out.

The mega-free-for-all battle in FR. So many power players continuously entering stage like that was such an "Aw snap" feeling for me.

Stave resisting Infelice at the end of AOTE. Pure character arc (eg Haruchai Stubborness) versus the head honch Elohim? Priceless. Any Stave development really... such as the three-pronged test against the Humbled.

Esmer requesting Jeremiah's racecar and repairing it. Think about it. Up to this point we're wondering what the heck that thing is for. And then for Esmer to balance all his crazy-huge betrayals in the Lost Deep by fixing a toy car? Now the importance and mystery shoots through the roof!
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by SleeplessOne »

I agree with most of the 'best moments' already mentioned; particularly :

* the final chapters of AATE, which truly re-captured the spirit of the first two chronicles. Covenant's philosophical sparrings with Branl were great; the action scenes with the skest and the other green dudes was very good; the confrontation with Joan was superb.

* Jeremiah's self-emancipating bone machine (good Tom Waits album !), humming with power while Infelice has a hissy fit.

* The Harrow's casual arrogance always enlivened any scene he appeared in.

* Just about every scene with Esmer (who I realise is viewed as somewhat of a divisive character). I fully expect his exquisite misery to be met and surpassed by the long-overdue appearance of Kastenessen in TLD.
But I liked everything about Esmer; his funky robe, his potent magiks (I liked the moment in ROTE where he is said to be off sulking somewhere, 'wielding' a storm - also, his gouts-of-dirt thing always provoked an oddly visceral reaction from me for some reason) - but mainly his batshit-insane personality.

* Stave defeating the Humbled mano-a-mano x3

* the opening 'real-world' chapters of ROTE.
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

One that wasn't mentioned: Esmer final action scene, "Havoc!" indeed. We finally see how much harm he is capable when wholly against the company.
A little knowledge is still better than no knowledge.
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by SleeplessOne »

shadowbinding shoe wrote:One that wasn't mentioned: Esmer final action scene, "Havoc!" indeed. We finally see how much harm he is capable when wholly against the company.
yep that definitely falls under the 'best of Esmer' category.

also, his beat-down of Stave in ROTE was brutal.

SRD's habit of describing Esmer's ambiguous, paradoxical reactions was one recurring thread which I never tired of, e.g.
Slowly he turned to face her. His eyes reflected green fury and supplication from the embers of the cook-fire.
'Do you regard yourself so highly ?' His tone sneered at her; implored her...
Then the moment passed. A feral grin twisted his lips: cunning and sorrow glinted in his gaze.
Queen Christine
Stonedownor

Post by Queen Christine »

peter wrote:Stave's 'report' to the Masters at the end of TROTE when he declares his support for Linden despite his misgivings and in the face of the open condemnation of his Haruchai bretheren. A classic peice of Haruchai intransigence and disregard for cosequence to the self in the face of what is known to be right.
This was hands down my favorite part of the Last Chrons. Of course, I'm a Stave fan-girl, so many of my favorite parts include him. When he and Linden were talking in the Hall of Gifts (I think it was there), and he tells her, "I am content." I loved that. And when he was openly crying over Galt's death.... sigh.... that was epic.
“In accepting a gift you honor the giver.” - Baradakas
The Eighth Ward
Servant of the Land

Post by The Eighth Ward »

The most enduring image for me thus far is:

"But the sun did not rise.

By tentative increments, the east paled. Slowly a preternatural gloaming spread across the Sunbirth Sea until it diluted the dark over Hotash Slay and the Shattered Hills. In contrast, the stars overhead grew strangely distinct, eerie and fragile. They seemed closer, drawing near to bewail their plight. The Humbled became vaguely visible, as if they stood in dusk or shadow. At their backs, the Hills crouched like megalithic beasts. But there was no sun.

No sun at all.

When he peered upward, Covenant saw that the stars were winking out. One at a time, they vanished from the infinite heavens. A few died in rapid succession, others at longer intervals; but they were all doomed...
"

My stomach sank when I read this for the first time. The end of all things had begun in earnest...the last dark approached... and even as I bowed my head in sorrow, my heart lifted for the grandeur of what is to come.
I used to be The Seventh Ward - Those who knew me had no need of my name.
The Puissant
Servant of the Land

Re: The best moment in the Last Chrons

Post by The Puissant »

SleeplessOne wrote:I agree with most of the 'best moments' already mentioned; particularly :

* the final chapters of AATE, which truly re-captured the spirit of the first two chronicles. Covenant's philosophical sparrings with Branl were great; the action scenes with the skest and the other green dudes was very good; the confrontation with Joan was superb.

* Jeremiah's self-emancipating bone machine (good Tom Waits album !), humming with power while Infelice has a hissy fit.

* Just about every scene with Esmer (who I realise is viewed as somewhat of a divisive character). I fully expect his exquisite misery to be met and surpassed by the long-overdue appearance of Kastenessen in TLD.
But I liked everything about Esmer; his funky robe, his potent magiks (I liked the moment in ROTE where he is said to be off sulking somewhere, 'wielding' a storm - also, his gouts-of-dirt thing always provoked an oddly visceral reaction from me for some reason) - but mainly his batshit-insane personality.

* Stave defeating the Humbled mano-a-mano x3

* the opening 'real-world' chapters of ROTE.
I also loved anything with The Harrow. What a great character! I was sorta said to see him get it.

Also anything with Stave. I loved the revelation about Galt being his son. I figured one of The humbled must be after he dropped the hint to Linden.
I've loved watching his transformation. His devotion to Linden is a breath of fresh air to the unrelenting and misguided Masters.
They will heed me, for I am The Puissant!
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

Some candidates (for my favorite):

1. Covenant's resurrection (end of FR/start of AATE).
2. Jeremiah opens the door in his mind.
3. Linden confronts Roger and the croyel at the site of the EarthBlood.
4. Linden confronts the Viles.
5. Covenant argues with SWMNBN and Esmer.
6. Linden argues with Esmer during a skurj assault.

Those are some of the most intense, in my opinion, anyway.
Billy G.
<i>Elohim</i>

Re: The best moment in the Last Chrons

Post by Billy G. »

SleeplessOne wrote:
Roger's surprise destruction of the Harrow was hilarious. I LOL'd at that point. :twisted:
The Puissant
Servant of the Land

Post by The Puissant »

Mighara Sovmadhi wrote:Some candidates (for my favorite):

1. Covenant's resurrection (end of FR/start of AATE).
3. Linden confronts Roger and the croyel at the site of the EarthBlood.
4. Linden confronts the Viles.
5. Covenant argues with SWMNBN and Esmer.
6. Linden argues with Esmer during a skurj assault.

Those are some of the most intense, in my opinion, anyway.
#2 all the way. I wanted to hear more from the real Jerry!
They will heed me, for I am The Puissant!
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

One of many agreed.. but what came right after that..

He looked at Linden was even better than his bone structure.

with that Linden finnally admitted that her darkness could be overcomed.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
race2three
Stonedownor

Post by race2three »

"He is my Love!"
Pahni's reaction to Liand's death and her confrontation with Linden.

Return to “Against All Things Ending”