Clues and Foreshadowings for the Last Dark

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

deer of the dawn wrote:Yesterday I found something I had forgotten about-- High Lord Elena's theory (in TIW) that the dead of the Land are living in Covenant's earth; that perhaps Kevin Landwaster was even there walking around... I'll have to get the verbatim quote later, but there is another tantalizing idea about the Creator. :)
In [i]The Illearth War[/i] was wrote:"Thomas Covenant, I believe that there is immeasurable strength in the consummation of despair strength beyond all conceiving by an unholocausted soul. I believe that if High Lord Kevin could speak from beyond the grave, he would utter a word which would unmarrow the very bones of Lord Foul's Despite."

"That's madness!" Covenant gasped thickly. Elena's gaze wavered on the edge of focus, and he could not bear to look at her. "Do you think that some existence after death is going to vindicate you after you've simply extirpated life from the Earth? That was exactly Kevin's mistake. I tell you, he is roasting in hell!"

"Perhaps," she said softly. To his surprise, the storm implied in her voice was gone. "We will never possess such knowledge - and should not need it to live our lives. But I find a danger in Lord Mhoram's belief that the Earth's Creator has chosen you to defend the Land. It is in my heart that this does not account for you.

"However, I have thought at times that perhaps our dead live in your world. Perhaps High Lord Kevin now restlessly walks your Earth, searching a voice which may utter his word here."

Covenant groaned; Elena's suggestion dismayed him. He heard the connection she drew between Kevin Landwaster and himself. And the implications of that kinship made his heart totter as if it were assailed by potent gusts of foreboding.
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

I've mentioned this before (a couple of years ago I think), but there is a dialogue between Pitchwife and Linden in TOT in which he relates the Elohim's cosmology and their conception of the role of the Worm of the World's End in the periodic creation, destruction and recreation of the cosmos. This may contain some important pointers to the climax of The Last Dark.

The text is as follows:
'Chosen," Pitchwife murmured, "have you heard the name of the Worm of the World's End?" She shook her head. Well, no matter." A gleam of quickening interest ran along his tone-a love for stories.

Galewrath's rhythm continued, complex and unvarying. As it thudded flatly into the dead air and the rising heat and the ea, it took on a plaintive cast, like a keening of loneliness, a call for companionship. Her arms rose and fell tirelessly.

"It is said among the Elohim, whose knowledge is wonderous, and difficult of contradiction"- Pitchwife conveyed a chortle of personal amusement-"that in the ancient and eternal youth of the cosmos, long ere the Earth came to occupy its place, the stars were as thick as sand throughout all the heavens. Where now we see multitudes of bright beings were formerly multitudes of multitudes, so that the cosmos was an ocean of stars from shore to shore, and the great depth of their present solitude was unknown to them-a sorrow which they could not have comprehended. They were the living peoples of the heavens, as unlike to us as gods. Grand and warm in their bright loveliness, they danced to music of their own making and were content."

A rustle went through the Giants watching from the foremast, then subsided. Their keen sight had picked out something in the distance; but it had vanished.

"But far away across the heavens lived a being of another kind. The Worm. For ages it slumbered in peace-but when it awakened, as it awakens at the dawn of each new eon, it was afflicted with a ravenous hunger. Every creation contains destruction, as life contains death, and the Worm was destruction. Driven by its immense lust, it began to devour stars.

"Perhaps this Worm was not large among the stars, but its emptiness was large beyond measure, and it roamed the heavens, consuming whole seas of brightness, cutting great swaths of loneliness across the firmament. Writhing along the ages, avid and insatiable, it fed on all that lay within its reach, until the heavens became as sparsely peopled as a desert."

As Linden listened, she tasted some of the reasons behind the Giants' love of stories. Pitchwife's soft narration wove a thread of meaning into the becalmed sky and the Sea. Such tales made the world comprehensible. The mood of his telling was sad; but its sadness did no harm.

"Yet the devoured stars were beings as unlike to us as gods, and no Worm or doom could consume their power without cost. Having fed hugely, the Worm became listless and gravid. Though it could not sleep, for the eon's end of its slumber had not come, it felt a whelming desire for rest. Therefore it curled its tail about itself and sank into quiescence.

"And while the Worm rested, the power of the stars wrought within it. From its skin grew excrescences of stone and soil, water and air, and these growths multiplied upon themselves and multiplied until the very Earth beneath our feet took form. Still the power of the stars wrought, but now it gave shape to the surface of the Earth, forging the seas and the land. And then was brought forth life upon the Earth. Thus were born all the peoples of the Earth, the beasts of the land, the creatures of the deep-all the forests and greenswards from pole to pole. And thus from destruction came forth creation, as death gives rise to life.

"Therefore, Chosen," said Pitchwife firmly, "we live, and strive, and seek to define the sense of our being. And it is good, for though we compose a scant blink across the eyes of eternity, yet while the blink lasts we choose what we will, create what we may, and share ourselves with each other as the stars did ere they were bereaved. But it must pass. The Worm does not slumber. It merely rests. And the time must come when it is roused, or rouses itself. Then it will slough off this skin of rock and water to pursue its hunger across the cosmos until eon's end and slumber. For that reason, it is named the Worm of the World's End."
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

Another important thing to remember is that throughout the first three volumes Linden's overriding priority was to rescue and redeem Jeremiah. Now that Jeremiah is with her, he has been freed from the croyel and his mind has been restored, we can expect Linden to make some important decisions about her purposes from here on in.
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

Now that I think of it, if the Worm's devouring of the stars put it to sleep long ago, what of now? Unless there are just too few stars...

Haha, imagine if the Wraiths get turned/turn themselves into new stars to feed the Worm with to put it back to sleep or something...
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

Another thing to recall is that in one of his interviews about the Last Chronicles, SRD said that loving parents and their absolute emotions for their children would be a major theme. There are a number of aspects of this theme that have yet to be fully worked out, especially in turns of possible parental relations between the Creator, Foul and SWMNBN (not to mention Linden and Jeremiah, and Covenant and Roger).
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

DrPaul, while your two parenthetical examples are spot-on, my impression is that there are no parental relationships between Creator, Foul and SWMNBN. Creator and Foul are foes or/or brothers and SWMNBN is Creator's mate who was seduced and betrayed by Foul, leading to her sharing Foul's confinement under the Arch.

Did Creator intend such, or was he aware that he was also shutting Her away? Is her Banehood something that Foul imposed upon her, lest She (as the only Immortal who could touch him under the Arch) wreak her revenge on him for what he had done to her? What will happen when She learns who she is and that knowledge has its effect?

Interesting to speculate...but in five months We Will Know.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

Savor Dam, in the cosmology of the Old Lords that was passed down to the New Lords, there is some ambiguity about the Despiser's exact relation to the Creator. See Tamarantha's recounting of the Land's Creation legend in the chapter "Blood-Bourne" of LFB (pp.273-275 in Fontana paperback edition, 1978). Then, early in TWL, Covenant tells the same legend to Linden, and in SRD's paraphrase of Covenant's account reference is made to the Despiser as the "bitter son or brother" of the Creator's heart. As you say, though, in five months we all find out.
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

If the Despiser is possibly sorta the son of the Creator, then... Maybe Roger will be the Moridin of the Last Chronicles, the avatar of the "Dark One" here, the person who must be confronted last by Covenant to set the Land's Earth right?

Return to “The Last Dark”