The Last Dark ARC is here!!

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Why would an author like SRD need to send out arc's anyway. It's not like anyone is going to start reading the Chrons with the Last Dark. (If they do I think they're going to have a fair problem getting to grips with it.) So I don't much see the point in it. Those who are Chrons readers are not going to be much swayed (into reading it or not) by a review anyway.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

peter wrote:Why would an author like SRD need to send out arc's anyway. It's not like anyone is going to start reading the Chrons with the Last Dark. (If they do I think they're going to have a fair problem getting to grips with it.) So I don't much see the point in it. Those who are Chrons readers are not going to be much swayed (into reading it or not) by a review anyway.
The ARCs are for the purpose of Reveiwing it (And possibly cause last minute edits from feedback?)
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

It's a publisher thing, it's just a standard part of promoting a book.

And as far as it being last in a series... what do you think they should do, promote the book that came out 36 years ago instead of the one that's new?
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

sindatur wrote:
peter wrote:Why would an author like SRD need to send out arc's anyway. It's not like anyone is going to start reading the Chrons with the Last Dark. (If they do I think they're going to have a fair problem getting to grips with it.) So I don't much see the point in it. Those who are Chrons readers are not going to be much swayed (into reading it or not) by a review anyway.
The ARCs are for the purpose of Reveiwing it (And possibly cause last minute edits from feedback?)
Definitely major point is in the publicity/marketing...
I haven't paid attention to them in a while, since digital became really big,
but ARC's USED to be pretty expensive to put together.

And, [p's bold "question"]it was a thing on the PUBLISHER's side, not the authors. So it's not "why would SRD," but "why would GOLLANZ [spelling?]"...and I have to say it does seem unlikely to do much in the sales/hype 30 years and 10th [last] book on in the process.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

So true. Entirely a publishing thing and probably pointless, but battleships do not turn quickly.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

However, the final print would benefit from editing, as far as type set and skipped words here and there goes.
...should anyone be receiving that type of input from readers.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Agreed. I am giving no content away to say that the ARC I read had a number of places where the kerning of the text was not at all well done.

For those not conversant in typography, this is not an SRD issue. This has solely to do with the typesetting of the text of the ARC by the publisher. Having never read an ARC before and never seeing character and word spacing so poorly handled in a professionally published tome, I am confident that this is an ARC-only issue and the volumes offered for sale will be correctly kerned.

Thus ends my editorial rant on the ARC.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I'm Murrin wrote:It's a publisher thing, it's just a standard part of promoting a book.

And as far as it being last in a series... what do you think they should do, promote the book that came out 36 years ago instead of the one that's new?
Obviously not, but there are many more ways of letting people know that a work is on the way out than sending a few poorly edited copies out into the public domeain where no controll over the response can be made and a good portion just finish up being sold on e-bay anyway. How about a few good posters in bookshops, papers and rail terminals for starters.

Yes, I should have phrased my question better - I didn't mean it so much as SRD having the say on this as whyan auther like SRD (in terms of where he is with this book) would need to have ARC's sent out by his publishers. It just seems futile to me - and quite possibly does more harm than good. The only reviewers whose views I have the slightest interest in are my peers here on the Watch, and not the one of them has the power to stop (or make) me buying and reading the final book in a series spanning the whole of my adult life, no matter what those views.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

They're review copies. They aren't gonna stop sending out review copies. They're certainly not intended for public consumption, even if some people will sell them.

And yeah, the people who are already comitted fans don't have use of the marketing. That's why they're not the target of the marketing.
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

ARC's are "uncorrected proofs" so they're the text as it is after typesetting and all that jazz and BEFORE SRD goes through and makes corrections.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Good to know, Sea.

And hear I thought by that stage his work was done.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

The final pass after uncorrected proofs is purely for typographical errors and very small changes that don't affect the typsetting (you couldn't add a word if it bumped text onto a new page somewhere, for example).
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Icertainlyhopetheyfixthetypesettingintheplaceswhereanentiresentenceiscrammedtogetherwithnospaces!
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Savor Dam wrote:Icertainlyhopetheyfixthetypesettingintheplaceswhereanentiresentenceiscrammedtogetherwithnospaces!
*nod*
*nod*
*nod*
muffin wrote:(you couldn't add a word if it bumped text onto a new page somewhere, for example).
And there are definitely skipped words in places. Obvious mistakes grammatically that I know SRD wouldn't make. If SRD needs to argue to have these changes fixed, I don't envy him in the least.
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

and of course his typical use of words ... only two this time I think ... that I had to google to find the meaning!
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

No, SRD doesn't have to fight for changes etc. It's an uncorrected proof. This is what he receives and will make changes to. And I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter if he makes changes to the text that mean words are bumped onto the next page. That's not so much an issue these days.

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”