Here be the new game idea - Lovecraftian Conversion

Forum-based role-playing games

Moderators: Xar, Goatkiller666

Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Here be the new game idea - Lovecraftian Conversion

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

Here be the new game idea. Something like Lovecraftian conversion.

What about - a character is a creature from beyond normal human worlds and dimensions. He/she/it/all that/whatever else can look quite human or like something not even much possible to describe in words properly and can possess various possibilies, or more like theoretically enermous possibilities, but not much applicable in the human world. It is also possible to be a hybrid or a human enlightened about other dimensions trying to achieve similar power. So, on practice not much will be possible, particularly at first. As a creature, you'll start as recently arrived, and this world it unfamiliar and much is not possible like elsewhere, as a hybrid or a human it's going to be a quest to discover. So, your possibilities are going to grow mostly with attempts, practice, curiousity and creativity - and also there will be a good chance to achive not exactly what you expected, or exactly not that. Basically, you start with practically nothing and try to push the limits.

The main location is a rather normal human city, though some other locations will be possible to access to an extent. It is practically completely filled with people who see nothing in life but boredom, repetitive work and not much thinking even.

The aim is to convert most of the people in the city. Not like "all raving psychos" or "all your cultists" - they might be, however, there are many ways people can end up after seeing more of the Universe than they're used to.

How to achieve this - there are as many mutiple ways as you can invent, from suggesting to them to dig out some ancient books in the library (the content will be on your conscience to create) to turning a building into a portal to other dimensions. Things on a large scale will mostly require time and assistance.

This is achived by the actions of all participating, though not necessarily allied - even your enemies' efforts lead toward the common main aim. However, It's going to matter who achieved how much and in what ways. And cooperetion is far from needed, though animosity is not required as well - all of these can result in progress and victory. Several of the otherworldly creatures can achieve a lot together, but so they can separately, taking paths more fitting for each, and a fight between them has its own chances of disrupting the normal life all around.

So, the choice is yours, you are a new person here. Nevertheless, in many cases trying to play nice or to kill everything around without a second thought is likely to have consequences - leaning towards human morals and normal behaviour is far from going to help, keeping your main goal in mind - and the fact you're not the only one working towards it, distorting everything normal on the way. Don't expect your nice/horrible intentions to end up as what you meant them to be. And the Great Old Ones tend to be in the "blue and orange morals" area themselves, understanding like that for yourself can change a lot.

Also you're going to have allies, that is, apart from the players who ally with each other. These are going to be two completely different stories. You'll be able to get people, and not exactly people, to assist you - from insane cultists to other otherworldly creatures. And there will be the Great Old Ones, who might or might not interefere, to your benefit or to your harm, depends on who gets involved and how.

If I'm already a psycho, please inform me :D
Last edited by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm on Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A role-player, beware
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I guess two main questions at this point is: Why convert the humans? Do we derive supernatural power from it? Or is it more like a king with power over the people?
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Telling you my idea on this directly will provide you with some meta-info, moreover, may disclose some of the supposed ending too early, though possibly mislead even more.

As the players, of course, you'll have to do that to preceed with the game... as the charachters, you're going to get some information on that right there - though also you won't be able to join the events without agreeing for this.

Though just seeing who provides the info in-game might clue in some of you in a way :biggrin: But I should warn you, that can also be misleading.

However, if you really prefer to hear out that part beforehand, this can be done.
A role-player, beware
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Update

I think the allies, or the "allies" the players get will include someone to get basic info from, something like an advisor or a few. The advisors aren't guaranteed to be reliable, but can be something to orient on at least. Because I do intend to make not reading any Lovecraft no problem, and the amount of information... I'm afraid I barely comprehend it myself :biggrin: Certainly, not that much is going to be used, but still a way to pass info in a some way inside the game world is likely to be useful. Also I've decided on the temporary title, which will likely become permanent. :)

And what about this?
Fist and Faith wrote:I guess two main questions at this point is: Why convert the humans? Do we derive supernatural power from it? Or is it more like a king with power over the people?
Effaeldm wrote:However, if you really prefer to hear out that part beforehand, this can be done.
I think I can just give you the in-game intro now, in-character, so no spoilers will be given, I've prepared it in that way. I guess.

Also, where does this stand currently? Any more suggestions, anything else that needs to be done before starting?

Murrin,
you stated interest, did you decide to join or not sure yet?

Menolly,
would you like to join? You appeared interested to see GT not so quiet, but I haven't heard from you on this one.

Anyone else?
A role-player, beware
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I won't have more questionsuntil we start. Then probably many. Heh
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

And what about the intro? Better now or then? I'm not sure how soon we're going to start. Though I hope and intend soon :D
A role-player, beware
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I'm still not clear on how this will be played. Forming an idea in my head but it's not quite there yet.

(I came very close to playing Syl's last game - twice - but couldn't quite pull together my thoughts on it enough to actually play. Something has to click for me.)
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Is there a way I can help with this? Just providing more information in hopes it might suffice?
A role-player, beware
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Do we all come from the same place/realm/dimension? Are we all the same species? Do we all have the same powers/abilities?
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

how does one become enlisted? I have never done this before, so I need to know how it works and what is expected of me.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

You know what, if I'm going to worry that this place isn't active enough and people need to join in, I need to start doing so myself. I'll give this game a go.
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Fist and Faith wrote:Do we all come from the same place/realm/dimension? Are we all the same species? Do we all have the same powers/abilities?
Not necessarily, the main option is to be a Great Old One, that is, one of the beings of most various forms and possibilities, here are some en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu_Mythos_deities#Great_Old_Ones

Also it's possible to be a human, a hybrid and practically any of the other Lovecraftian creatures, like en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Cthulhu_Mythos_species.
sgt.null wrote:how does one become enlisted? I have never done this before, so I need to know how it works and what is expected of me.
If you want to take part, you just have to say so :) This is a game where it's hard to go wrong, you'll get reminded if anything is needed. Basically, you need to create a personality for yourself - who you're going to be inside the world - and write what you try to do in emails each turn. The Game Master will give the results in return. Also you can optionally communicate as that character in posts and PM's.
I'm Murrin wrote:You know what, if I'm going to worry that this place isn't active enough and people need to join in, I need to start doing so myself. I'll give this game a go.
Awesome :D

Any more questions or suggestions?
A role-player, beware
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

ok sign me up or in or about. when do I need the character created by?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

The game is not yet set to start at a specific time, I hope most of the questions are sorted out, but I might be not completely right, in any case this is still not sure. And certainly I don't intend to get started withgout everyone ready, though it will be better not to delay other people too much if possible. I guess about a week, maybe more.

There's also not much that needs to be done now, basically, you need a name and an appearance (described or fetched on the Internet will do, people aren't expected to draw themselves), and what you're going to be - a Great Old One (the main option, but mostly since it allows to invent practically any appearance you like and many other details), a Mi-go, a Deep One, a human, a hybrid, etc.

A role-playing forum account is usually also created, this is not exactly necessary or urgent to play by email, but can be used for "in character" talks on the forum, which I hope to have lots of. Like here kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20959&start=0
A role-player, beware

Return to “Gravin Threndor”