What food do you hate - and [if possible] why.

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

peter
The Gap Into Spam

What food do you hate - and [if possible] why.

Post by peter »

Spawned by a discussion on my dislike of rice-pudding, I realise that many food 'dislikes' can be traced back to origins in our early lives or other points at which a barrier is set which we latter find very hard to overcome. Anybody care to share their own particular 'hates' in the food/drink line with us - and possible causes if they are known.

Here are a few of mine:- Rice pudding, blancmange [in fact all 'milk puddings' with the exeption of panna cotta], tripe, sardines, beetroot [unless combined in hot dishes eg with turnip etc], any meat that has 'gristle' attached, porridge.

Now, with one exeption these dislikes go back to my early days [7y.o.+] at boarding school where the above were served in a nasty unapetising manner that I have yet to overcome. There are examples where I have overturned my school induced dislike [custard, salad cream, steam puddings including suet based ones eg dumplings] - but only where the items are served with the best skill that culinary expertise can muster.

There are no areas where I dislike a whole 'group' of similar foods - my step daughter for example will not eat 'fish' point blank [including all shell-fish and mollusks]; an aversion that is severely limiting for her when we dine out. In my experience the way to overcome such aversions is to keep trying untill you find the chink in the armor of your dislike. Once this is achieved the sky's the limit and that which was previously anathema to you may yet becomes your ambrosia of choice.
Your politicians screwed you over and you are suprised by this?

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I'm trying to think of something, but apart from getting into the subject of my complete aversion to the specific crunch of most plant matter, the only thing I can think of is that I cannot stand the taste of peppercorn. I don't know why, it just tastes vile.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I hate most seafood which I refer to as "Sea Bugs" but does not include many kinds of fish which I do like.
PEAS! I HATE PEAS!!!!
BLACK EYED PEAS!!!
Pretty much all beans.
Liver.
Spinach.
I pretty much lived off of Spaghetti and Capn' Crunch when I was a kid. :-)
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Mushrooms. I f'n hate mushrooms.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

dlbpharmd wrote:Mushrooms. I f'n hate mushrooms.

YES! I HATE MUSHROOMS!!! :-)
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I can't stand liver...never could, don't know why. But I love the smell of it while it is being prepared.
I don't like most things that are mushy...but it's a texture thing.

The first time I had lobster, I thought it was manna.
The second time, meh.
The third time, revolting.
[though I can still eat it in a bisque/chowder mode]

I LOVE MUSHROOMS! Like garlic and cheese, too much is never enough for me.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

For any of you liver haters - have you ever tried calves liver? Much subtler in flavour than ox, pig or even lambs, it has a softer texture almost leaning toward fois gras[oh yes....fois gras!!!] and is genuinely beautiful [season and fry lightly in herb butter; serve with peppery rocket leaves and crusty bread to mop up the pink juices]. I defy this not to be your liver epiphany!

Murrin's 'crunch' is an odd one - are we talking 'celery' [beastly stuff unless cooked in rich stews] like effect here [going to make appreciation of a crisp apple difficult I'm guessing] or more widely as in raw veg generally [I'm not a big fan - a carrot should be murdered to make it edible in my book]? And peppercorns - M, you have my deepest sympathy ;) .

Lobster Vraith? [Granted a poor substitute for fresh, in season white crab meat - the most beautiful single taste you can put in your mouth and one that cannot be bettered by any form of addition] And Mushrooms, I agree - gimme more, gimme more!

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

mayo - flavor, smell, consistency.

egg salad - mainly because of the mayo.

canned greens - hate the sliminess. love fresh greens.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

I dislike most anything from a can, especially green beans, which taste metallic, and nothing like the loveliness of fresh green beans, especially raw right off the vine. And that green-bean casserole think covered with canned fried onions is just criminal. Blech.

I also have not enjoyed most of my encounters with liver. Except for an organically-raised lamb's liver once, a long time ago.

I just don't understand how anyone could not love vegetables of all sorts.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I hate peas.
I hate eggplant.
I hate uncooked tomatoes.

The last one is the one that makes a person a pariah.
Try ordering a burger with no tomato ... they usually think they must have heard you wrong. You spend half your life saying "no tomato", because it's in everything you order. "Turkey Sub -- no tomato" "Cheeseburger -- no tomato" "Garden Salad -- no tomato". "Grilled Chese - no tomato".

It's not like I never tried them. I try them all the time -- because they sneak into everything. They taste hideous, and they have slime oozing out of them, and you need a forensic team to get them off your food. I am making small puking noises as I write this.
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

wayfriend wrote:I hate peas.
I hate eggplant.

Try ordering a burger with no tomato ... they usually think they must have heard you wrong. You spend half your life saying "no tomato", because it's in everything you order. "Turkey Sub -- no tomato" "Cheeseburger -- no tomato" "Garden Salad -- no tomato". "Grilled Chese - no tomato".

It's not like I never tried them. I try them all the time -- because they sneak into everything. They taste hideous, and they have slime oozing out of them, and you need a forensic team to get them off your food. I am making small puking noises as I write this.
So sayeth Mr. Carlin, a "fussy eater" (definitely NSFW specific commentary on tomatoes at about 4:50)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SivpLzwYSYE

I hate any spices, but in particular chili, cumin, and cilantro. Can't stand the smell or the taste or the fiery effect.
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

rdhopeca wrote:So sayeth Mr. Carlin, a "fussy eater" (definitely NSFW specific commentary on tomatoes at about 4:50)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SivpLzwYSYE
"Something is wrong ... something has gone a-Foul inside of a tomato!" :D :D :D
DoctorGamgee
Bloodguard

Post by DoctorGamgee »

I'll eat almost anything, but can't stand Cauliflower. Cooked, raw, doesn't matter, it is just revolting. I think it is because it used to upset my stomach as a child and I'm not going to risk it again.

Lima beans are chalky...not a fan. Others are fine, but those are just gross.

When I was a child, we were all allowed one dish we wouldn't eat. Mine was Peas. Now, I don't know what I was thinking...they are ok, not great, but certainly not as big of a deal as when I was a kid.
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean
Rau Le Creuset
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Rau Le Creuset »

I can't swallow tomatoes. I just can't I don't know why
strangely enough I love ketchup.

Also I hate white asparagus when it's all soggy.

I hate pickles, they don't even exist.. they are just warped cucumbers

Mashed potatoes is one that surprises everyone.. I just don't really taste anything when I have them not even the love and care that went in them.. I still eat them though

I can't think of anything else I don't really like.
"I am He, that arrogant fool who thought he could thwart death itself with his money."
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

wayfriend wrote:I hate peas.
I hate eggplant.

Good call. I won't eat raw tomato either.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

:lol: :lol: Which all goes to show that 'one man's meat is another mans poison' is as true today as ever it was. The tomato thing is strange to me. The modern tomato is a shadow of it's former self, a mushy tasteless pap fit only for the compost heap - but it is possible still to track down good ones. Small, highly coloured red and well ripe is a good guide. However in fairness, if you don't like 'em, you aint gonna like 'em no matter what. Now a good 'Birds eye' frozen garden pea, properly cooked in salted water is a thing of beauty [and to be found as the only branded product in the book 1000 Foods You Must Eat Before etc, etc..]

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
jelerak
Bloodguard

Post by jelerak »

Mushrooms, and I can explain.

As a child, my older brother and myself used to watch the Sunday morning creature feature on local New Orleans television. I was maybe 8 or 9 years old (back around 1975 or so) and there was a specific movie that has forever changed my life.

Attack of the Mushroom People

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matango

My older brother (rather convincingly) told me that if you ate mushrooms that you would turn into a mushroom monster.

No, I cannot actually say that this is why I hate (no, more than hate...I cannot even put into words my aversion) mushrooms, but I am more than sure that this had some kind of adverse effect on me.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Mushrooms again. Seems peoples food hates follows pretty strict patterns. I'm suprised no-one has mentioned cucumber yet - maybe it's just it's non-descriptness that makes it neither a food goodie or a food baddie in peoples eyes.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I like cucumbers, but they don't like me.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

rdhopeca wrote: I hate any spices, but in particular chili, cumin, and cilantro. Can't stand the smell or the taste or the fiery effect.
I tried, and failed utterly, to think of ANY spice or herb I've hated.
Can't recall a single one...though there are some herb TEAS I can't stand, that's a bit different...a few I find a bit boring [like oregano], but no hate.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.

Return to “The Galley”