What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

:lol:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

:lol:
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I'm Murrin wrote:You know, dropping your H's just makes you sound like a cockney. No one wants to hear that.

Bah. Oppression.
It's not like anyone objects to H-dropping [any more than F-bombing]...they just object to WHO does it [and where the THuck are protests about Silent W???], and WHICH, and WHEN, and WHERE! [THuck me, THuck you...both sounds!...but the opposite of how they are PLACED!]
[Notice how I announced my solidarity with Cockney. I'd much rather [a like rat, not rAH] listen to them than any one ELSE I've heard amongst the folk who think Beauchamp is pronounced like BEECHum.]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Billy G.
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Billy G. »

Just finished TLD today. I need a new series!
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Billy G. wrote:Just finished TLD today. I need a new series!
Here's a thread for recommendations.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Halfway through The Last Dark. Reflecting on how reading a new Covenant is like eating comfort food: The style, the tone, everything in it is so familiar, so much like what you'd expect from a book in this series.

I guess it's kind of like Erikson, too - very consistent in the quality and style of his writing.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

What, no recommendations on what to order? (Murrin, I don't think it is quite out yet, hence the longer wait for it.)

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Av, I'm not sure I understand your post.
Phantasm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Phantasm »

About 100 pages into The Last Dark :biggrin:
Quote - John Smeaton (Terrorists take note)

"This is Glasgow- we'll just set aboot ye"

Post by Avatar »

I'm Murrin wrote:Av, I'm not sure I understand your post.
I'm Murrin wrote:They have a trade paperback out already? That seems odd.
Avatar wrote:Murrin, I don't think it is quite out yet, hence the longer wait for it.
;)

--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Started Consider Phlebas, by Iain Banks. Can't believe I just read seven books by Kevin Anderson with a species called Ildirans, and now I'm reading about Idirans.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Post by Avatar »

The first Culture book. :D (Read any others before?)

--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

No, this is my first.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Finished Dragonsong, the ending brought a tear to my eye.

Now listening to The Last Dark, "What Has Come Before" is just about done, so, very soon, I'll see what comes next.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

sindatur wrote:Finished Dragonsong, the ending brought a tear to my eye.
*soft smile*

Just wait to you see what happens next in Dragonsinger.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Menolly wrote:
*soft smile*

That'll be a couple months. TLD will likely take a month and I've got at least several weeks if not a month of Doctor Who to listen to after TLD, before I return to Pern, but then it's Pern straight through with one or two week breaks every few months for new Doctor Who.

I do really like Menolly's story, and the whole of the ending for Robinton and Elgian both was almost as joyous, so I am looking forward to the rest of her Trilogy, but, I'm also cringing to find out about THE WHITE DRAGON (No spoilers from anyone, please)
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Is there a good place to start Doctor Who books? There's a bunch of them!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

sindatur wrote:
Menolly wrote:
*soft smile*

That'll be a couple months. TLD will likely take a month and I've got at least several weeks if not a month of Doctor Who to listen to after TLD, before I return to Pern, but then it's Pern straight through with one or two week breaks every few months for new Doctor Who.
As long as you share your impressions, I am happy to wait until you return to Pern.
sindatur wrote:I do really like Menolly's story, and the whole of the ending for Robinton and Elgian both was almost as joyous, so I am looking forward to the rest of her Trilogy, but, I'm also cringing to find out about THE WHITE DRAGON (No spoilers from anyone, please)

Again, if stopping in the middle of an audio book is possible, you would want to read the first two chapters of The White Dragon, then all of Dragondrums, then finish The White Dragon. But if that is not possible, finish The Harper Hall trilogy before starting The White Dragon.

Then just read the rest in published order.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Fist and Faith wrote:Is there a good place to start Doctor Who books? There's a bunch of them!
Well, they're not actually books, persay, they are Audioplays (specifically written for the medium), with a full cast, rather than just a narrator reading a book.

As to where to start, you can always start at the beginning of the main range (The first 50 are discounted to 2.99 for download, almost every story 2 disks), or decide what appeals to you about Doctor Who and go for those stories. I actually like the Gallifrey set stories (And like Leela and Romana quite a bit), so, I started with The Gallifrey Adventures (The sixth and final Series was just released a few days back) which features Romana II as Lord President of Gallifrey and Leela is featured heavily as well as her confidant/friend. There's lots of stories featuring Cybermen or Daleks, there's alternate reality versions of The Doctors (Doctor Who Unbound Series, with 8 stories). There's stories featuring Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy and Paul McGann (Tom Baker, Peter Davison. Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy all have stories featuring their TV Companions and all but Tom Baker have stories featuring Companions that are new to the Audioplays. Colin Baker has a "new to Audio" companion named Evelyn Smythe, who is an older woman, and she is quite an awesome Companion (I believe there are 22 stories in that Series) and Colin Baker's Audioplays are appreciated much more than his TV stories were by many. There's an awesome Peter Davison story with Nyssa that is a Cybermen Origin story called Spare Parts which is one of the first 50, that's discounted to 2.99 as well as a most awesome Dalek Story (The first NuDoctorWho Dalek story in Eccelston's season called Dalek was loosely based on it) called Jubilee, which is also a first 50 discounted to 2.99.

So, yea, to know where to start, it's good to know what you want to explore. Spare Parts and Jubilee would be a great place to start, and both stories are 2.99ea for download, so, it's a cheap way to get started and see if you like the format

They're all sold on Big Finish site, downloads of course don't have shipping costs, CDs do have shipping cost. you can pay by either Credit Card or Debit Card (just like Amazon) or you can use Paypal if you prefer

Here's a link to Spare Parts, and you can listen to the Trailer:
www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/spare-parts-200

Here's a Link to Jubilee you can also listen to a trailer for it
www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/jubilee-206

Post by Avatar »

A Clash of Kings.

--A

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”