Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

The Hidden Sandgorgon
Servant of the Land

I'm Guessing.......

Post by The Hidden Sandgorgon »

From somewhere, somehow.... a savior will step out of the the darkness
Spoiler
(as Brinn already has)
and show our heros how to stop the worm... Some hurried negotiations between the Elohim and Insequent more than likely.....

Many will die.... but I'm assuming LA and her adopted offspring will be spared...Although the latter will be returned to his catatonic state, a glint in his eye will let the reader know that he is more than he was....

The land will be ruined but as before will recover (albeit with the Earthpower removed) and restored to the glory of the time of the Old Lords.....
I have hit myself in the head many times in the attempt to transport myself into an achingly beautiful fantasy land where, despite having mostly just messed around in high school, I'm qualified to be the savior of the entire world.
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

I'm not all the way through with FR yet, so I don't know if any of these have already effectively happened yet...

Powerful, effective forgiveness will somehow be worked for Joan.
Whether her life will last long beyond that won't be of as much consequence as one would expect, because what happens will be that amazing.

Linden will become capable of weeping again. (sorry, folks.)
But her tears will have a different quality to them.
(Perhaps she will save the land with mourning, as Covenant once saved the land with laughter.)

And Linden will die: this has been presented as the most unavoidable fact from the beginning.
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

Linna Heartlistener wrote:I'm not all the way through with FR yet, so I don't know if any of these have already effectively happened yet...

Powerful, effective forgiveness will somehow be worked for Joan.
Whether her life will last long beyond that won't be of as much consequence as one would expect, because what happens will be that amazing.
Spoiler
This was perhaps the biggest shock for me. I expected her to die, but not like that. :(
Linna wrote: Linden will become capable of weeping again. (sorry, folks.)
But her tears will have a different quality to them.
(Perhaps she will save the land with mourning, as Covenant once saved the land with laughter.)

And Linden will die: this has been presented as the most unavoidable fact from the beginning.
Good calls, the last two. :)

The pattern has always been that someone is left behind to carry on. The big Twist would be if no one is left behind...

Here is my theory: Everyone dies. The Ranyhyn, the Elohim, ur-Viles, right down the line. All but Jeremiah. His ability to construct and change realities comes into play. The Earth resets via Jeremiah, who is the new Land's Creator. He must return (alone) to the earth, with or without the ability to communicate-- both because he's alive, and because those are the rules for the Creator; he has to be outside his creation.

Remember that Jeremiah has spent a lot of time in the Land (if what he said via the croyel is true, and it seems to be). He probably knows more of what went on than anybody. He has met and experienced just about every type of person (via representatives in their traveling party) in their strengths and weaknesses.

Somehow through him the Land will find form and life again, and it will include not only those peoples, but the spirits of Linden and Covenant as well. They will be inherent to the Arch of Time and to Earthpower in some way.

Those are my predictions. :)
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

Orlion wrote:Before anything comes out, I want to make this wild prediction:

The Worm=The Creator.
Whilst not true in a literal sense, this will turn out to contain a crucial element of truth.

In another thread I have extensively quoted the passage in TOT where Pitchwife explains the Elohim's cosmology to Linden. In that cosmology the arousal of the Worm and its completion of the destruction of each existing Creation is necessary to create the conditions for a new Creation. If anyone knows about the Work and its place in the scheme of things, it would be the Elohim.

I've now made two predictions:

(a) Linden will be consumed by She, which will be the condition for Linden's own apotheosis and redemption of She;

(b) the Worm will (help to) destroy the Creation, which will be a condition for a new Creation.

Both assume that, as in earlier Chronicles, "there is hope in contradiction" and that this will be a key organising concept in The Last Chronicles and (especially) TLD.
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

A further prediction.

My reading of the final volume of The Decline And Fall Of The Roman Empire will now be interrupted for some days while I read my copy of The Last Dark that arrived this morning.

Return to “Against All Things Ending”