A problem with the printing of the book (SPOILERS)

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

djackson3789
Servant of the Land

A problem with the printing of the book (SPOILERS)

Post by djackson3789 »

I bought my copy of TLD on Friday and read it over the weekend. The problem is that there are two chapters missing, one is where they travel from Mt. Thunder to M.Skyweir and the other is the final battle against the Worm. My copy of the book skips directly from the confrontation with Foul straight to the epilogue.

I can't believe the printer could have been so sloppy. This is worse than the Gap e-book fiasco.

Have other readers reported this error with the book?
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

The problem is that there are two chapters missing, one is where they travel from Mt. Thunder to M.Skyweir and the other is the final battle against the Worm. My copy of the book skips directly from the confrontation with Foul straight to the epilogue.
I may be confused, but I don't think you're missing anything. There's no travel chapter from Mt. Thunder to Melenkurion Skyweir, and there's no chapter at all between the confrontation with Foul and the epilogue.
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

dlbpharmd wrote:
The problem is that there are two chapters missing, one is where they travel from Mt. Thunder to M.Skyweir and the other is the final battle against the Worm. My copy of the book skips directly from the confrontation with Foul straight to the epilogue.
I may be confused, but I don't think you're missing anything. There's no travel chapter from Mt. Thunder to Melenkurion Skyweir, and there's no chapter at all between the confrontation with Foul and the epilogue.
Er, I think that was his point, albeit tounge in cheek?
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

What they did wasn't explained quite as well as it could have been in the final chapter, but I think it was at least made clear that there was no fighting the Worm in any circumstances. It was unstoppable. So they decided they could just fix what it broke before it caused too much damage.

Actually showing them doing that wouldn't have been all that interesting, IMO. The Epilogue wasn't great, but not because of the jump, just because it wasn't good.
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Post by TheFallen »

"Wasn't explained quite as well as it could have been..." .. !!!

Your generosity of spirit, combined with your natural British reserve and courtesy (of which I am of course a fan) shines through here, Murrin.

Yes there was no direct fight with the Worm, because a) it was too late to do so and b) it would have been impossible anyway, because the clash of powers would have shattered the Arch of Time, as we're told throughout.

Having said that, given that SRD has shown himself more than descriptively capable of depicting Time fragmenting as per the various journeys through caesures, you'd have thought that he could have given us five hundred words or so on how TC, Linden and Jeremiah repaired/remade the Earth and the Arch - a kind of reverse process in macrocosm.

As I've said elsewhere, I am forced to imagine Jeremiah's innate talent for construction and instinctive knowing of where disparate things fit together (augmented by the lore he'd gained from moksha Raver and his burgeoning command of the Staff of Law) allowing him to piece together all the shattered instants and fit them back together correctly and seamlessly. TC's restraint-free and boundless power solders back together the Arch, aided by Linden's own differently slanted power, which is all about healing and a natural physician's focus and restraint. SRD could have easily given us this.

But nope. One minute the dynamic trio are rising up like glory. Then period. Abrupt chapter end. Next second, epilogue time and we're in the Lollipop Land of rainbows and fluffy clouds. Given the overly sucrose final scenes, I almost expected to have SRD wheel on a troupe of dancing Munchkins, a pack of gambolling Care Bears, a herd of prancing My Little Ponies and a fuzzy purple dinosaur warbling the sickly sweet "I love you" song.

Your word of the week is "BATHOS".
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

TheFallen wrote:"Wasn't explained quite as well as it could have been..." .. !!!

Your generosity of spirit, combined with your natural British reserve and courtesy (of which I am of course a fan) shines through here, Murrin.

Yes there was no direct fight with the Worm, because a) it was too late to do so and b) it would have been impossible anyway, because the clash of powers would have shattered the Arch of Time, as we're told throughout.

Having said that, given that SRD has shown himself more than descriptively capable of depicting Time fragmenting as per the various journeys through caesures, you'd have thought that he could have given us five hundred words or so on how TC, Linden and Jeremiah repaired/remade the Earth and the Arch - a kind of reverse process in macrocosm.

As I've said elsewhere, I am forced to imagine Jeremiah's innate talent for construction and instinctive knowing of where disparate things fit together (augmented by the lore he'd gained from moksha Raver and his burgeoning command of the Staff of Law) allowing him to piece together all the shattered instants and fit them back together correctly and seamlessly. TC's restraint-free and boundless power solders back together the Arch, aided by Linden's own differently slanted power, which is all about healing and a natural physician's focus and restraint. SRD could have easily given us this.

But nope. One minute the dynamic trio are rising up like glory. Then period. Abrupt chapter end. Next second, epilogue time and we're in the Lollipop Land of rainbows and fluffy clouds. Given the overly sucrose final scenes, I almost expected to have SRD wheel on a troupe of dancing Munchkins, a pack of gambolling Care Bears, a herd of prancing My Little Ponies and a fuzzy purple dinosaur warbling the sickly sweet "I love you" song.

Your word of the week is "BATHOS".
LOL. But dead on.
Lambolt
Stonedownor

Post by Lambolt »

weird. as mine came with loads of extra pages during their interminable and boring slog up through Mount Thunder which went on and on and on like Margaret Effing Thatcher.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

Wow!! really? Then i guess I have a true collectable. If I turn on the UV lamp..there is actual blood splatter on the pages where attacks take place...How cool is that??
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD

Return to “The Last Dark”