Collective memory: Haruchai/Ramen and Native Americans

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

Borillar
<i>Elohim</i>

Collective memory: Haruchai/Ramen and Native Americans

Post by Borillar »

This isn't really about Runes exactly, but I'm thinking about the scene where Stave and Hami meet, and the two talk about how "we remember" or "we were there" (with "we" meaning the Haruchai and Ramen, respectively). This always struck me as unique and powerful, the way that not only do their memories transcend thousands of years, but at least for the Haruchai, their collective consciousness allows them to actually relive those experiences in their minds. Then I was reading this article (indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2012 ... day-145807) about Native Americans recounting what really happened at Thanksgiving, and felt a similar feeling:
They were shooting guns and canons as a celebration, which alerted us because we didn’t know who they were shooting at ... We were there for days ... they were very vulnerable and we did protect them, not just support them, we protected them.
Anyway, not much more to say about this except that I found the parallel striking.
Last edited by Borillar on Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I couldn't get the link to open.
I'll keep trying though.

I just read a book about that time "Mayflower".
The Indians took some of the Pilgrims north to meet the Massachusetts tribe (before the Pilgrims killed a whole bunch of them) and along the way the Pilgrims stopped several times at these "spots" like markers or holes where the Indians would stop and tell a story related to that area.
Or something like that.
They basically had their entire history memorized with location markers to help them remember the stories.

I didn't explain it very well but it falls into your collective memory post.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:I couldn't get the link to open.
I'll keep trying though.

I just read a book about that time "Mayflower".
The Indians took some of the Pilgrims north to meet the Massachusetts tribe (before the Pilgrims killed a whole bunch of them) and along the way the Pilgrims stopped several times at these "spots" like markers or holes where the Indians would stop and tell a story related to that area.
Or something like that.
They basically had their entire history memorized with location markers to help them remember the stories.

I didn't explain it very well but it falls into your collective memory post.
in what little is left of woodland near where i lived in wood's hole MA there were stone works that i'm told were that...part guide post, part memorial/ceremonial. (Not burial, though...those are different)
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Borillar
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Borillar »

I couldn't get the link to open.
I'll keep trying though.
Yeah, it was down earlier tonight, but it's working now.

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”