Rustin nega - drowned veal chops from Milano

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Rustin nega - drowned veal chops from Milano

Post by Vader »

These days - just before Christmas - I had two very dear friends at my house for dinner. We're all foodies, so quite naturally we talked about new things we tried out, our favorite chefs and so on. After a while and bottle of Barolo we started fantasizing about having our own restaurants. One of my friends asked me "... and what would be your signature dish?" I had to think about it for a while but finally decided it had to be a Milanese recipe called "drowned veal chops" or in Milanese dialect "rustin nega" - (Arrosto di vitello al vino bianco)

Nice thick cut veal chops

Veal stock, white wine, olive oil, onions, bouquet garni (rosemary, thyme, bayleaf) and butter

Potatoes (waxy)

Season the veal with salt and pepper and dust it with plain flour.

Fry in butter and olive oil until golden. Put in a deep tray or casserole.

Fry onion in the pan you fried the veal in and deglaze with white wine. Pour over veal choips.

Add enough veal stock to just cover the chops. Add bouquet garni.

Cut potatoes into thick slices (1/2 an inch) and put on top of the meat. The bottom half of the potato should be in the broth but the top should be dry.

Into the oven at loooow temperature (120° 250F) and forget about it for two hours. Ot three. Or whatever time you have.

After two hours it should look like this.

The finished product served on creamy polenta with gremolata.

Pure heaven ...

And what is best - talking bout regional cooking - I can get all he ingredients here regionally.

Signature dish - DONE.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.

Return to “The Galley”