lurker?

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

lurker?

Post by Lord Zombiac »

no mention of the lurker's fate in the epilog. some beings survived and others did not-- but didn't Covenant's alliance merit at least him asking someone of the lurker's fate?
httpsss://www.barbarianclan.com
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

My assumption is Covenant knew the lurker had survived when he and LA and Jer put the world back together after the Arch's breaking. The act of repairing the entire world of necessity entailed an awareness of all that was going on and of who still survived (or so I wish to think :wink: ).
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

..Thats a good question, the fate of Horrim Carabal, the Feroce's High God, the monster of the Great Swamp,LURKER.?,,Many things the tentacled one has become including , like leprosy, a source of Hope.,,So its fate as I would have it , as Linden's was stated to be, is tied to water. One suggestion would be,,for him to make a deal with some developers , get some of that ocean front swamp drained and build a resort or two or just condos or heck why not, the whole she-bang and give Florida some competition with whole ocean front communities. Lurker gets a cut of everything and who is going to argue with the guy?

Or,,he could put a couple of R initial s in his name and write about his exploits in the Land, maybe even get a TV show to write for, yea, Horrim R. R. Carabal! Thats got a nice sound to it.

Or maybe he could just bask in the swampyness and let the Feroce worship him until some time way in the future,,way way in the future when they
don't. Until then go out for his daily lurking, check in with the demondin spawn , see how the kids and grandkids are doing, pick up the dailey Revelstone Tribune for how the Lords and Ladies are fairing. The rest of Kevin's seven wards are yet to be found and that search remains front page. Maybe for kicks or a tip,,for the tourists, he could raise a tentacle or two and let out hoot or a hollar. Why gee whizz, he could get himself one of those Reality Shows. Swamps are " in" these days!

Hes got it made in my estimation. Every one knows now hes just a big ole octopussy kinda guy and will help out when he can. Ya just gotta ask. I tell ya tho..just don't invite him to a freindly poker game with the boys. He doesn't take losing well.
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

A question that this thread raises is what would become of the Sarangrave and Lifeswallower if Mount Thunder has been remade without the various banes and filth in its depths to pollute the Soulsease.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

The warrens inside of Mt Thunder are still there along with the inhabitants. ..They just have to learn to recycle instead of dumping everything into the streams.
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I believe the Lurker survived into the new Land, but I wouldn't have shed a tear if it met it's end.

I think the new Forestals could remake the Sarangrave. I predict the Lurker will have to find a new home.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

OMG...with all the inherited females from SHE..think of all those " Honey Dos" they got lined up for the Way and Ur's there in the Mt Thunder villages. Get that place cleaned up! If i was the Lurker,,I'd open up a Home Depot right there where the Defiles Course leaves Thunder. When Defiles starts smelling ,,well, when you are able to smell Defiles, then its time to build and open a Theme park on the other side of Thunder where the Soulsease enters. Great water rides and all coming thru Mt Thunder. ..Lurker Land could be bigger than Disney World.
pg4 TLD
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

Does the Lurker really need constant feeding of ills from Mount Thunder to go on functioning? Considering the persistency of other ills in this world the most that could be hoped for is that the Lurker will enter into a dormancy period until the Land is darkened again.
A little knowledge is still better than no knowledge.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

yea,, I hear polio is coming back in parts of the world,,aids is still around and heck with the anti-vac'ers rantings, now measles are once again plaguing elementary schools,,so yea,,plenty of ills to feed off of for the Lurker.
pg4 TLD
OhYeah
Servant of the Land

Post by OhYeah »

I think the Lurker has made a new home where the Ecorse River ends and dumps itself into the Detroit River right next to 2 steel mills in SE Michigan.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

OhYeah wrote:I think the Lurker has made a new home where the Ecorse River ends and dumps itself into the Detroit River right next to 2 steel mills in SE Michigan.
Heck, It ain't a Real River until it catches on fire!....hhhmmm..so the developers dump crazy stuff into the Defiles Course and then put a match to it..trying to burn the Lurker out of the swamp...but instead of burning the Lurker out..the stuff turns him into a stark raving many tentacled blow torch monster...
pg4 TLD
OhYeah
Servant of the Land

Post by OhYeah »

I like the focus that The Last Dark put on the Lurker. I know that this disenabled a focus on the 'average' folk of the The Land, but an OK trade-off.
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

I liked it as well, simply because SRD continued to push the boundries with it. I understand the motive for not including this in the epilog; don't set your readers up for a new series when this is really the last one... but the problem is, you don't follow up on an element you introduce into your story and the literature suffers. It makes the ending too "pollyanna" as they say.
httpsss://www.barbarianclan.com
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
OhYeah
Servant of the Land

Post by OhYeah »

I think the fact that the average folk of The Land suffering, isnt explored at all, does make for a 'happier ending'. Can there be a happy ending if we are getting to know the villages and their villagers that The Worm is destroying through Jeremiah's vision? Maybe thats better, the earlier books of The Last Chronicles have enough suffering.

We know that The Big 3 cant resurrect people, so it would have been sad to hear all of them dying, and not being able to live in The New World that Thom/Lin/Jere created.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

The idea of changed perspectives changes everything applies to the demondim spawn as well as the Lurker. The Feroce found a Value in them selves and therefore leave the scene self esteemed rather than self defeated. IMHO, the Lurker gains the same. By proving it can be of value to itself as well as its home and kind, and the Land, being a Monster in its actions becomes unnecessary..H Carabal has learned that it too,,has choices it hadn't conceived, yet gained fully from.
That in its self is enough for me. Yes. let the rest be the product of OUR Imagination. The Lurker reborn..perhaps..something like a huge ferris wheel ride at The Land Amusement Park...or just the scariest water park ride ever..??
pg4 TLD
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

lurch wrote:Heck, It ain't a Real River until it catches on fire!....
Geezy Peazy! Just because the Cuyahoga caught fire most recently in 1969...some people just won't let it go! It has been 45 years.

OTOH, for the beer fanciers out there, Burning River Pale Ale from Great Lakes Brewing is pretty good...for those who can't handle a deep dark, much less The Last Dark.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

..SavorD...Brilliant!!..Lurker as a Brewmeister!...a vat of the Independent Brewed...divided into 4 sections, or 4 types..top quarter, the palest....Runes..yea, you can figure the rest..Fatal Rev, AATE,,and bottom of the vat..THE LAST DARK..Oh Yea!..and of course brewed with the finest bilge coming from under Mt Thunder!
pg4 TLD
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Interesting concept, lurch. If I had the skill to do so, I would "hop to it" and attempt to develop four original beers for this. Sadly, I am not the brewer you are looking for...

Now to see whether Z. comes to Elohimfest with a quartet of homebrews designed to address these four segments. He knows what he is doing, and might just come up with something really inspired. :cross:
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw

Return to “The Last Dark”