Stave; Lucky or Unlucky?

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Stave; Lucky or Unlucky?

Post by lurch »

If Stave could have done it over again, would he have begged off? Thanks but no thanks to being Linden's bloodguard.?

For what he gained compared to what he lost, and interesting druthers.
For some, he, the character is most fortunate for even surviving . Thanks to Linden. every bone in his body has been healed from breakage, some a few times. Every organ in his being has been put back in its proper place, sutured or healed,,except his one eye. Not seeing as well as he could literally and figuratively. Hes lucky to be still around.

For others, the death of his son, the endless physical suffering and loss, to the end of his life, no way can Linden ever make up for those pains. And, he no longer can be so stoic about it all. He has " seen" the folly of not showing ones pain.

Being in touch with his "feelings" is..or is not, enough of a reward or valued personal commodity to justify what he went thru to get there..His humanity was too expensive or not?

I answer that,,his and rest of the Master's and Haruchi lack of humanity became very expensive to the Land and its peoples. Stave's one man sacrificial cost was inexpensive compared to how much of the damage to the Land it paid for.
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

He wasn't wearing a red shirt.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

Lucky him, then!

and btw..after all these years..your avatar still makes me fart...not lucky for those around me...
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

seriously tho, well as serious as I can get,,there seems a sense of weird justice between Linden and Stave. He punches Linden in the head because the feroce have put a Glamor on her...Linden boils water in the rock causing Stave life threatening injuries,,which only Linden can fix and thus save his life yet again..Their "dance " is macabre and a neat metaphor for the relationship between " Love" and " Logic"
pg4 TLD

Return to “The Last Dark”