Re-reading 2012

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

Vulgarian
Servant of the Land

Post by Vulgarian »

Zorm wrote:

I'm not claiming it's necessarily easy or anything. Has taken me a good ten years of daily English utilization to end up with TCTCs in my shelf (Yes I read them in English. No Finnish translations exist, save for an appallingly sodomized LFB from the late 70's. I learned about that only after slogging through 7 books.). Sentences, or parts of them, which I don't comprehend upon first read/listen litter the pages, but that's what dictionaries are for.
Frankly, it just seems even more impressive now.
Vulgarian
Servant of the Land

Post by Vulgarian »

Zorm wrote: Hum. Frostheart Grueburn's the "scariest" (or grimmest name, if we omit Grimmand) name possessed by a giant not either insane or otherwise amuck, but her personality outside the battlegrounds appears to contradict this. Perhaps she merely wished to sound sinister.
Now that you mention this, I think I remember noticing that one of the "insane or otherwise amuck" giants (he was intent on murdering Linden) seemed to have a name which was portentous of his eventual madness. An unlikely coincidence, it seems, but I don't actually know when and how the giants are named. Perhaps they wait until their passions and aversions are obvious and then acquire official names. Is there anything known about this from the books?
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Vulgarian wrote:Now that you mention this, I think I remember noticing that one of the "insane or otherwise amuck" giants (he was intent on murdering Linden) seemed to have a name which was portentous of his eventual madness. An unlikely coincidence, it seems, but I don't actually know when and how the giants are named. Perhaps they wait until their passions and aversions are obvious and then acquire official names. Is there anything known about this from the books?
Bit of a discussion about it here (it's in the AATE forum, so beware of spoilers if you haven't read AATE yet).

The general consensus seems to be that there are probably a couple of stages at which Giants are named, but there isn't enough information in the books to be certain about it. (Another example of SRD only putting in what's necessary. Lazy bugger :biggrin: )

u.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

"Guy named Otto Octavius winds up with eight limbs. What are the odds?"
Vulgarian
Servant of the Land

Post by Vulgarian »

ussusimiel wrote:
Vulgarian wrote:Now that you mention this, I think I remember noticing that one of the "insane or otherwise amuck" giants (he was intent on murdering Linden) seemed to have a name which was portentous of his eventual madness. An unlikely coincidence, it seems, but I don't actually know when and how the giants are named. Perhaps they wait until their passions and aversions are obvious and then acquire official names. Is there anything known about this from the books?
Bit of a discussion about it here (it's in the AATE forum, so beware of spoilers if you haven't read AATE yet).

The general consensus seems to be that there are probably a couple of stages at which Giants are named, but there isn't enough information in the books to be certain about it. (Another example of SRD only putting in what's necessary. Lazy bugger :biggrin: )

u.
Sorry this reply took so long in coming! I forgot my password AND username, so kept putting off a return visit. Also, I still haven't read The Last Dark, so I'm waiting until I've put that to rights.

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”