Mysticism influences on Brandon Sanderson?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Mysticism influences on Brandon Sanderson?

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

Brandon Sanderson has this Cosmere or something for the backdrop for a lot of his novels, and there's this plot involving an entity known as Adonalsium breaking into 16 (I think) shards, each one containing a different form of divine power (or something).
Spoiler
Ruin and Preservation from the MISTBORN series, for example, were shards of Adonalsium.
Now I was reading Answer to Job by Carl Jung and a footnote on pages 19-20 described these antitheses to the sephiroth (whatever those are), these evil "shards" that had to be broken off from God's power of revelation.

So I know it's a stretch, but might Sanderson's metaphysics for his Cosmere have drawn some inspiration from Jewish mysticism?
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Mysticism influences on Brandon Sanderson?

Post by Vraith »

Mighara Sovmadhi wrote:
So I know it's a stretch, but might Sanderson's metaphysics for his Cosmere have drawn some inspiration from Jewish mysticism?
It's not a stretch at all. I don't know specifically about anything Cosmere-related, though I probably did once...because I saw an interview somewhere quite some time ago in which he specifically mentions Qaballah [however that's spelled]...along with several other mythological/mystical systems he's fascinated with and uses as resources/inspiration.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

I thought the frontispiece of The Way of Kings looked very Kaballistic. From what I understand, Sanderson is a Mormon. If you look into Mormon mysticism, there is plenty there to draw on (way outside the pale of orthodox Christianity).
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”