Deadly sins and Heavenly virtues

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

Rau Le Creuset
<i>Elohim</i>

Deadly sins and Heavenly virtues

Post by Rau Le Creuset »

A few days ago I watched a movie I've wanted to see for a long time called "Se7en" the movie is all about the embodiment of the seven deadly sins. After watching it I had the final Chronicles on my mind. I thought that characters from the final chronicles could easily embody the seven deadly sins and virtue, so I thought I would have some fun at trying it out. It wasn't as easy as I thought, but I think I did okay. If your itching to throw in your ideas go for it! me being proved wrong might be half of the fun!

Sins

Gluttony - The Worm embodys Gluttony perfectly, A point of consumption to wich it becomes wastefull.

Greed - The Harrow fits Greed better than anyone else I've thought of so far. His greed for lindens artifacts of power.

Sloth - Esmer. Sloth is not always laziness. It can be morally lax aswell. Esmer never declares himself for the right side even though he has the powers to help greatly.

Lust - Rogers frantic need to live forever embodys lust pretty well I think.

Pride - Infelice refuses to do anything basically because she is Elohim and "equal to all things"

Wrath - Kastessan, He is furious. Really revenge hungry.

Envy - For some reason the only character I can think of as envy would be The Vizard and his Jealousy of The Theomach

Virtues

Chastity - The Ardent. Although he seems perfect for Gluttony, he becomes someone willing and able to take any amount of abuse swallow his fears for the sake of the world. No matter how much he wants to run away.

Temperance - Thomas Covenant... I think? oh god.. Anele maybe?

Charity - Linden Avery. Her healing, constant need to give hugs, and willingness to do everything for her son

Diligence - Stave never gives up on his morales or his people or his friend.

Patience - Mahdoubt. with the dress and the waiting and what? I'm not so sure on this one anymore.. or I've forgotten why I thought she was patient. Help me!

Kindness - Liand.. no need to explain.

Humility - Mahrtiir - Loses his sight and everything and learned he could still be super helpful[/b]
"I am He, that arrogant fool who thought he could thwart death itself with his money."
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

I like the exercise and can see how humans really do share a lot, or have a lot in common..an example is the Ardent..You have him associated to Gluttony,,while I see his excessive, his living large, closer to free of charge, gratuitous,,He gives with just the asking of it..His horse is an example. And as in all the Insequent, they are all more like a " frame of Mind".

Linden you have as Charity..I see her as alot more expansive,,she becomes, Love.. and yes,,Love includes being Charitable...

I see Mahrtir Dillgent in the context of Adamant..forceful Will.. staying Power.

Mahdoubt as Patience is a good call...yet she is patient inorder to..what? She is like a mentor. She tests Linden and eventually sees In Linden what she would be willing to die for. ...Sacrifice?

Chasity is closer to Liand..his naive' eventually there was no room for...

anyway..lots of possibility there..
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I would set the Haruchai as Pride. Or at least the Masters. See link.

The Elohim would get Sloth. For their propensity to fail to act whenever they can thrust the burden of action onto someone else.

Wrath ... Longwrath is also a good choice. Also Joan.

Envy would go to the Insequent, for their envy of the Elohim, perhaps most personified by the Theomach.
Rau Le Creuset
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Rau Le Creuset »

Lurch,

What do you mean by the insequent being a frame of mind? And for the Ardent, It sounds like your saying he belongs to Charity? That may actually make alot more sense..

Wayfriend,

Yeah, the Elohim in general would be sloth, your totally right. I think I was going for one character to embody the word, not a whole race though. To me Esmer makes sense.. I'm sure there's a better candidate somewhere among the elohim though.

Oh wow. LongWRATH. I coulda thought that one out better.

Gahh! I totally fogot about Joan too. damn.
"I am He, that arrogant fool who thought he could thwart death itself with his money."
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I happened to be thinking more on this.

Chastity would be Jeremiah. If we view Chastity in the Last Chronicles in a generalized way, that it's about not being enticed or seduced to "the dark side", that it's about staying pure when temptation is nigh, then he's clearly the candidate. He never went over to Foul.

But don't Gah! over it. There's room for more than one good answer I am sure.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

what do i mean by..the insequent being a frame of mind..? The Insequent as metaphors for a certain kind of frame of mind..Thomas Covenant went to Town pissed off because some one was paying his bills for him..to keep the leper out of town. He fell down, bonked his head and passed out. When he woke, he was in the Land. So i see everything of the Land,,as between Covenants ears. Its a special reality inside. So characters, events, everything, function as metaphors for things common we know by easier/ simpler terms. The Land is a reality highly exaggerated but still with roots in common reality. ..imho..
So the Insequent strike me as Frames of Mind. The Ardent,,well I used the term gratuitous,,I realize now I also meant to say...Gregarious..A person is gregarious when highly sociable,,socializes freely. The living large aspect of the Ardent was more than just food..Mahdoubts Love transcended time and space and in seeing Love,,even the tinest bit, in Linden,Mahdoubt knew that Linden would eventually be okay..Theomach..even that name is a good clue..old school, old God,,even The Status Quo..wise, but still Olde School. The Harrow struck me as..disingenuous,,some thing for nothing..etc...So as Frame of Mind the Insequent may be like How we see things or events at a particular Time..As Linden's fears, paranoia, grew the Harrow character asserted himself more..or just the opposite, but in any case,,there is correlation between what is going on,,and the Insequent near by. ,,for example. Thats what resolves the Insequent issue in the epilogue..That new Insequent is everything the Frame of Mind of The Epilogue is.
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD

Return to “The Last Dark”