The Wounded Land, Chapter 27: Giantfriend

TWL, TOT, WGW

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

The next morning, the dromond Starfare’s Gem arrived in a gleam of white sails, as if it had been newly created from the sun’s reflection on the blue Sea. It hove into sight like a stone castle riding gallantly before the wind, beautifully both swift and massive, matching the grace and strength of the Giants.

And so, as we all catch our breaths, and dab at the few remaining tears in our eyes from the heart wrenching triumph of Coercri, we find our hero on a high cliff watching the approach of Starfare’s Gem. With him are Linden Avery, Sunder, Hollian, Brinn, Cail, Stell, Harn, and of course Vain.

We learn that earlier in the morning, Sunder revealed how Seadreamer was the one that rushed into the fire and retrieved Covenant as Linden saw his wild magic abating. We learn that he was not harmed in anyway, even his clothes were untouched by the argent flames of his white gold caamora for the damned of the Grieve. And we learn, and this brings a smile to my face, that Linden thought he had gone crazy…
In a severe tone, she asked, “Why didn’t you tell me what you were going to do?”

“I didn’t dare,” he replied, giving her the truth. “I was too afraid of it. I couldn’t even admit it to myself.”

She shifted her position, drawing somewhat away from him. “I thought you’d gone crazy.”

He sighed, allowed himself to express at least that much of his loneliness. “Maybe I did. Sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference.”
Then we learn what the First’s decision is…
”Thomas Covenant,” she said, “I know not whether in truth the path of the Search lies with you. I have not seen with my own eyes the Sunbane, nor met in my own person the malice of him whom you name the Despiser, nor felt in my own heart the nature of what must be done. But Pitchwife urges that I trust you. Cable Seadreamer has beheld a vision of healing, when he had learned to believe that no healing remained in all the world. And for myself—“ She swallowed thickly. “I would gladly follow a man who can so give peace to the damned.

“Giantfriend,” she said, containing her emotion with formaility, “the Search will bear you to the land of the Elohim. There we believe that knowledge of the One Tree may be gained. If it lies within our doing, we will accompany you to the Tree, hoping for an answer to the peril of the Earth. This we will do in the name of our people, who have been redeemed from their doom.”

She passed a hand over her tears and moved away, leaving him eased, as if it were the outcome of his dreams.
As so, now we find him and the others on the cliff over looking the Sea. Covenant, we learn, has made a decision and not an easy one. He tells Sunder and Hollian that he wants them to remain behind and go back to the Upper Land, back to the Sunbane, and try to convince all the people that the Clave is a lie and they should oppose it. At first, they protest, who would listen to them? Would they not be killed on sight for their blood? Covenant tells them, no. No, because they will have the krill
”Covenant?” The Graveler looked his astonishment at Linden, at Hollian, then back toward Covenant. Linden sat with her eyes downcast, watching the way her fingers touched the stone. But Hollian’s face brightened as if in recognition. “The krill is yours,” Sunder murmured, asking for comprehension. “I am a Graveler—nothing more. Of what use is such a periapt to me?”

Deliberately, Covenant held out his hope. “I think you can attune yourself to it. The way you did to Memla’s rukh. I think you can use the krill the way you use the Sunstone. And if you put the two together, you won’t need to shed blood to have power. You can use the krill to rouse the orcrest. You’ll be able to raise water, grow plants, do it all. Without blood. Any village will listen to that. They won’t try to kill you. They’ll try to keep you.

“And that’s not all. This is power. Proof that the Sunbane isn’t the whole truth. It proves that they have a choice. They don’t have to obey the Clave, don’t have to let themselves be slaughtered.”

With a twitch of his hands, he flung off part of the cloth so that the krill shone into the faces of his companions. “Sunder,” he implored. “Hollian. Take it. Convince them. We’re all responsible—all of us who know that the na-Mhoram is a Raver. Don’t let the Clave go on killing them.” The light of the krill filled his orbs; he could not see how his friends responded. “Give me a chance to save them.”
Sunder and Hollian accept the krill, and more importantly, accept the task that Covenant places upon them.
They rose to their feet. “Ur-Lord,” the Graveler said, “we will do as you ask. If any blow may be struck against the Clave and the Sunbane by mortals such as we are, we will strike it. You have restored to me the faith of Nassic my father. Be certain of us while we live.”
YES!! Sunder!!!

We then see that Harn and Stell had left the hill and retrieved supplies. Brinn informs Covenant and the Stonedowners that they will not be alone in their efforts. Harn and Stell will go with them…
”The Sunbane is indeed vast, but you will not meet it alone. The Haruchai will not surrender their service. And I say to you that my people also will not suffer the Clave unopposed. Look for aid wherever you go, especially when your way leads within reach of Revelstone.”
And so, along with Covenant, Linden, Brinn, Cail and Vain (if he even notices), we watch the Stonedowners and the Haruchai as they depart and go over the long hill below the Grieve’s Lighthouse and disappear. But before they do, we see Sunder and Hollian put their arms around each other.

Linden then tells Covenant that she believes he did the right thing in sending them back. That they needed a purpose, an answer, they needed to do something important. Then she wonders why Covenant gave them the krill, for she thought he wanted it as a weapon against Vain. And of course he replies in his true fashion…
”I don’t want any more weapons,” he murmered to Linden. “I’m already too dangerous.”
As they contemplate his answer, Pitchwife calls from Coercri..
”Giantfriend! … Come! Starfare’s Gem approaches!”

The echoes went on in Covenant’s mind after the shout had faded. Giantfriend. He was who he was, a man half crippled by loneliness and responsibility and regret. But he had finally earned the title the First had given him.

The dromond came drifting slowly, neatly, toward the piers. Its rigging was full of Giants furling the sails.

Carefully, like a man who did not want to die, Covenant got to his feet. With Linden, Brinn, and Cail, he left the cliff.

They went down to meet the ship.
And so, my friends, as we watch them make their way down through the ancient Giant city...

Here ends The Wounded Land, Book One of The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Have I mentioned how much I like Sunder?? :) He managed to figure out the rukh, and now he's gonna start on the krill. Time for the dance!

Go Sunder!
Go Sunder!
Go Sunder!

Now how many years of your life would you give to be there watching Starfare's Gem sail in!!!!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Masterfully done, Furls Fire!

Bring on The One Tree!
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

:)
And I believe in you
I will remember you

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Window
Servant of the Land

Post by Window »

You know what the Starfires Gem reminded me of when i read about it?

The chinese ming dynasty ships and zheng he. 8)

food 4 thought.
16 years old and 50 bajillion times smarter than you.

"The window of oppurtunity... is closed"
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Food for thought indeed, Window! The Ming Dynasty ships of Admiral Zheng He were astonishing constructs, supposedly much larger than European vessels of the time. If estimates are accurate, the largest of these Chinese "junks" was over 400 feet long, and 150 feet wide. By comparison, Christopher Columbus's largest ship, the Santa Maria, was "only" 90 by 30 feet. So the Ming ships were indeed worthy of Giants!

However, if one looks at the drawings of Starfare's Gem in the Atlas of the Land, it's clear that the dromond is kindred to the Spanish galleons of Columbus's voyages, not the ships of Zheng He.

But the real interesting part here is that when you roughly measure the length and width of Starfare's Gem according to the scale in the book, it turns out that the dromond's dimensions are more or less the same as Zheng He's ships! 8O

So, I might imagine a Giantship to be essentially a Spanish galleon that has been blown up to the scale of a Ming ship.

One other thing: the Ming ships were built from wood, making them the largest wooden seacraft in history. Only the biggest wooden warships of the Victorian age could compare in size, but they suffered from structural problems and needed internal iron supports to hold the hull together. Remarkably, no such iron supports were ever reported in a Ming ship.

A Giantship, on the other hand, is shaped from vital granite, made rigid yet "flexible as bone" by Giantish lore and skill. Thus, it would not be troubled by the structural stress experienced by wooden ships. Of course, we're talking about a fantastical ship that doesn't exist, but the idea works for me.

Whew! Sorry, fellow Watchers. I got carried away again.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

:) Nice job!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Window
Servant of the Land

Post by Window »

Matrixman wrote:Food for thought indeed, Window! The Ming Dynasty ships of Admiral Zheng He were astonishing constructs, supposedly much larger than European vessels of the time. If estimates are accurate, the largest of these Chinese "junks" was over 400 feet long, and 150 feet wide. By comparison, Christopher Columbus's largest ship, the Santa Maria, was "only" 90 by 30 feet. So the Ming ships were indeed worthy of Giants!

However, if one looks at the drawings of Starfare's Gem in the Atlas of the Land, it's clear that the dromond is kindred to the Spanish galleons of Columbus's voyages, not the ships of Zheng He.

But the real interesting part here is that when you roughly measure the length and width of Starfare's Gem according to the scale in the book, it turns out that the dromond's dimensions are more or less the same as Zheng He's ships! 8O

So, I might imagine a Giantship to be essentially a Spanish galleon that has been blown up to the scale of a Ming ship.

One other thing: the Ming ships were built from wood, making them the largest wooden seacraft in history. Only the biggest wooden warships of the Victorian age could compare in size, but they suffered from structural problems and needed internal iron supports to hold the hull together. Remarkably, no such iron supports were ever reported in a Ming ship.

A Giantship, on the other hand, is shaped from vital granite, made rigid yet "flexible as bone" by Giantish lore and skill. Thus, it would not be troubled by the structural stress experienced by wooden ships. Of course, we're talking about a fantastical ship that doesn't exist, but the idea works for me.

Whew! Sorry, fellow Watchers. I got carried away again.
Good stuff, i was worried some ppl didnt know their history but i was wrong! Ive never heard of the "Atlas of the land", but im still in the middle of reading TOT so i guess it can wait.
16 years old and 50 bajillion times smarter than you.

"The window of oppurtunity... is closed"
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Window, you made me earn my post! :)

Hope you're enjoying TOT. If you're not...I don't wanna know. :D

The Atlas of the Land is a very good book by Karen Wynn Fonstad that covers all the places visited by Thomas Covenant in the novels. The Atlas is fully approved by Donaldson, who made himself available to Fonstad to ensure the accuracy of the information provided. So, the Atlas is THE authoritative reference book on the Land, as much as the novels themselves are. Highly recommended.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

If I recall correctly Furls Fire has uploaded some Altas of the Land diagrams of Starfare's Gem in the Album... :?
fall far and well Pilots!
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

D'oh! You're right, danlo. I forgot about the Album. Furls Fire has indeed provided diagrams of Starfare's Gem from the Atlas for the benefit of the Watch. Window, and anyone else interested, should hop over to the Album section to see what the dromond looks like, as realized by Karen Fonstad. My babbling about Spanish ships will become clearer. Thanks for the great pictures, Furls!
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Your welcome :)

I meant to scan a bunch more, the book is full of such wonderful images and maps, but r/l ran away with me and then my scanner blew up!! I haven't gotten a new one yet, but when I do and time allows, I'll scan more and put them up in the album.

The depiction of Coercri is awesome!! That will be the next scan. :) :)
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I think it was kinda sad that he sent them away...
Spoiler
I wish we could see them during the One Tree... :(ed: you're spoiling Darth

Return to “2nd Chronicles”