Football / Soccer World Cup 2014

Baseball, Basketball, Footbal, Soccer, Curling, Poker, ect...

Moderators: Lord Mhoram, StevieG, hierachy

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Aaaannd in stark contrast, a cautious Netherlands played a cautious Argentina in a dreary 0-0 draw with neither Robben nor Messi having any impact on the game.

The final should be interesting...
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Germany all the way.
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Post by TheFallen »

Yeah the Germans very definitely deserve it - their method of play is a masterpiece of chilling competence and merciless efficiency. How very Germanic...

And of course I'm still waiting for the Argies to do their usual thing too. You know, where they get frustrated, lose their fiery Latin tempers, start kicking the living shit out of the opposition and all get sent off...

Racial stereotyping, anyone?

:twisted:
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Rau Le Creuset »

"I am He, that arrogant fool who thought he could thwart death itself with his money."
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

:lol: - I linked that video on the previous page! It sums up that semi-final.

Yes, you'd have to back Germany to lift the trophy, but you never know. Messi can produce something out of nothing - the problem is that his teammates aren't up to the same or similar standard. Traditionally I've never really liked Argentina for the reasons TheFallen has pointed out, and they tend to get a bit theatrical too. But this Argentina team has been slightly better to watch.

I'll be barracking for the Germans - it's my duty since my wife is half German. The kids are going for Argentina.

The pointless 3rd/4th playoff could be interesting. If Brazil want to restore some pride, and the Netherlands start playing attacking football (like they did in the group stage), it could be a great game.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

And to round off the World Cup...

3rd/4th playoff was a reasonable game, with the Dutch going back to their attacking style and reaping the rewards. Brazil still pretty much in tatters in defence but looked more promising in attack. They just didn't have a Neymar up front to finish.

I thought the final was very entertaining. Argentina probably had more clear cut chances, and really should have put away a couple. But in the end, Germany took one of their few chances - and it was a great goal. I think Germany deserved to win the World Cup, but Argentina could have snatched in on the day.

4 more years now :D
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Return to “Sports”