Jay's The Last Dark Timeline Tracker - I'm Free! Haha! Free!

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

..really?..I heard they taste just like chicken,,and with a fair smattering of Betimes MacBeth ketchup, all is made delicious. Salt and pepper to taste.
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
Icarus Unfallen
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Icarus Unfallen »

If I wanted chicken, I would have ordered chicken.
Focus on where you are going and why.
Never lose awareness of how far down "down" is...but don't obsess about it.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

Excuse moi Sir Icky-Un! Will you be having your Skurj deJour 3rd Generation , masticated thrice by exceedingly sharper fanged serpent until so tender just a shake of the stick by Linden would bruise it, served with sauce of aliantha seasoned with just a pinch of the scranel thistle,,or the Fire Lion Flambe' , 2nd generation flank of Skurj marinated for 24 hours in virgin Earth Blood syphoned off from artesian wells deep within Melekurian Skyweir ?.Hurry! The Worm may beat you to it! ...By the way today's special is Sand Gorgon Bleu..a wonderfully fresh Stump of the Sand Monster stuffed with shredded kresh tongue and cheese of the Lifeswallower baked to golden crunchyness waiting to explode your taste glands.. Your taste buds will never again know despair after a meal of Sand Gorgon Bleu!
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Finished Part 2, Chapter 7 - June 15, 2014

Waiting for the slow, agonizing hand of fate to finish me off.

-jay
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

At the rate you appear to be reading Jay, there is a distinct possibility of that happening before you reach the climax [sounds better than 'end' but can't quite blank out the .....err.... 'associations' tied to the word :lol: ].
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Finished Part 2, Chapter 8 - July 11, 2014

Wow....I don't even remember what happened in that chapter. Something about Haruchai or something.

-jay
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Positively flying through it now Jay!
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
kevinswatch
"High" Lord

Post by kevinswatch »

Finished Part 2, Chapters 9 and 10 - July 21, 2014

Oh a roll now, baby!

Not sure what's going on anymore. Linden just defeated She Who Must Not Be Named with a metaphor or something.

-jay
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

...a metaphor walked into a bar,
the bartender looked up and said, " fish!"

Why did the metaphor cross the road?

.. because it was a chicken..

The other day a metaphor looked into a mirror. It heard a cymbal.

If a metaphor left Chicago heading to New York City at 50mph, and another metaphor left New York City headed for Chicago at the same time, at 60mph, which one was killed off first by George R R Martin ?
pg4 TLD
kevinswatch
"High" Lord

Post by kevinswatch »

Finished Part 2, Chapters 11 - July 24, 2014

Wow, a chapter in 3 days??? That must be a record or something!

-jay
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

kevinswatch wrote:Wow, a chapter in 3 days??? That must be a record or something!
It's like you can't put it down! :)
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Thanks a bunch, guys. You made me almost spew oatmeal on my keyboard. :P
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
kevinswatch
"High" Lord

Post by kevinswatch »

Finished Part 2, Chapters 12 - July 25, 2014

WAS MAN DESIGNED TO READ AT SUCH CREPUSCULAR SPEEDS??? I think not!

-jay

P.S. Wet pulp? Eww. WTF.
kevinswatch
"High" Lord

Post by kevinswatch »

Finished! - July 28, 2014

My final thoughts....meh.

I think my thoughts on the Last Chronicles have been repeated here before by many other people:

-The whole ending just didn't have the same *emotional punch* as the other ones.

-The lack of a proper resolution for Roger was a bit of a letdown.

-Stave and Branl both had fairly satisfying endings. Probably the best of the whole thing.

-Having the whole world blow up and then everything *magically become fixed* was one thing. But having everyone come back to life as well??? Really? Everyone who was alive at the end of the world, pretty much? I donno, it just seemed cheap to me. In the past SRD wasn't afraid to knock more people off in the ending. It almost cheapens their sacrifice when they all come back perfectly healthy. Total cop-out.

-I had this other thought during the epilogue... OK, I know that this is the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, and I hate Linden as much as anyone else in THOOLAH, but I really felt that her whole conclusion to this whole thing was pretty unspectacular. I mean, we had to suffer, and I mean SUFFER, for FOUR BOOKS in what was essentially "The Chronicles of Linden Avery the Crybaby", and all we get at the end for her resolution with everything was her rather strange confrontation with She Who Must Not Be Named. It's like in the end she just didn't care about anything anymore, and was perfectly happy to just let Covenant take care of everything. Again, we had to suffer for four books with Linden as the focus character, and the ending is hardly about her at all.

-Again, Roger. WTF was he even in the book for? Covenant had resolution with Elena, which is all well and good, but the best we get for Roger is one line where Covenant said "Well gee, I guess I really was a crappy father for Roger" and short paragraph of Roger *redeeming* himself in a pathetic attack against the Despiser before being turned to "wet pulp" (again, eww).

-Seriously. Stave and Branl. Carried this series. Carried it on their backs.

-Ok, one last gripe about the ending. Totally disappointed in the last raver getting away at the end. I mean, come on SRD! You already made a HUGE point in actually *killing* the other two ravens (for GOOD) in The Last Dark! It would have been very poetic to find some big emotional way to kill off the third in the end. Somehow, I don't know. But it felt like a huge opportunity that was wasted.

Pfew. Ok, now time to read something else.

-jay
kevinswatch
"High" Lord

Post by kevinswatch »

Oh, shoot, I forgot two other things...

-Stoutgirth. Seriously. More Stoutgirth. It's sad that he was only introduced in the last half of the last book. He would have been an amazing character to get to know more over the entire series.

-THOOLAH forever! Ok, that isn't really new. But seriously. THOOLAH.

-jay
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Post by TheFallen »

A tear of joyous pride came to my eye at hearing Jay's ongoing and steadfast avowal of commitment to the much-loved and worthy cause of THOOLAH. So much so that I felt inspired to repost the following:-

THE MANY AND VARIED MOODS OF LINDEN AVERY.

What a vast emotional range that gal's got, huh? :roll:

Apologies to Frosty for stealing - and then perverting - her artwork. Heh.
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

And I can strike back by reposting this cartoon. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Ware the illearth perversions of thoolahian priests!

MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Mazel tov on finishing the books, Jay.

My daughter (Foamfollower 1013, for those who still remember her) is still whining...uh, working her way through the books (and messaging to me to complain about plot developments that don't make sense to her. :P)

Jay, I can't disagree with any of your comments about the books.

But I especially agree with this one:
kevinswatch wrote: -THOOLAH forever! Ok, that isn't really new. But seriously. THOOLAH.
:biggrin:
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Softy, what does the text on the image say? I can't read it all. And, was that little cutie in the bottom right corner an urvile?? If so, where is his large staff??

Congrats on finishing the book! That is about how I felt. I had to force myself to continue a few times.

And, despite liking Linden, that was really spot on, Fallen. :D
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can

Return to “The Last Dark”