'Efest Book Recommendations Thread

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

'Efest Book Recommendations Thread

Post by ussusimiel »

It was suggested (by Softy, I think) that we should start a thread of the books that were mentioned during 'Efest conversations.

I'll start with a few and we can remind each other if there aresome that we've forgotten:

Magician by Raymond Feist (Just cos it's a really good book)
The Empire Series by Raymond Feist (He draws names from the Abq area: Acoma, Xacatecas etc.)
Ham on Rye (novel) by Charles Bukowski (for lorin)
The Pleasures of the Damned (poetry) by Charles Bukowski

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Oh, right. I forgot about this....

If I didn't mention Tony Hillerman during the 'Fest, I should have. His mysteries are set on the Navajo reservation in northeastern New Mexico, not far from where we were. Lots of Native American lore interwoven in his books. And I discovered at the Governor's Palace gift shop in Santa Fe that his daughter has taken up the series. I read "Spider Woman's Daughter" by Anne Hillerman on the plane on the way home. Good stuff. And the clerk in the gift shop told me she's writing another one.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Oh, I see how it is, just a book recommendations for you hootie-tootie 'e-festers...

Well, fine! The rest of us will have our own book recommendations thread... with black jack...and hookers!

In fact, forget the book recommendations :twisted:
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

Orlion wrote:Oh, I see how it is, just a book recommendations for you hootie-tootie 'e-festers...

Well, fine! The rest of us will have our own book recommendations thread... with black jack...and hookers!

In fact, forget the book recommendations :twisted:
I can skip the blackjack, yes?
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Oh pshaw, Orlion. You can join in, if you want. We'll even let you read the books we've recommended. ;)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

And there that nickname appears again. *sigh* It seems that the battle-hardened Swordmain imago has been ruined for good. :crazy:

Inside the Neolithic Mind (recced for lurchy, I think...); a study of how human neurology and altered states of mind may have shaped mythology and beliefs (and why all shamanistic cultures share some common religious elements)

Reading a derivative, rather similar book called Prehistoric Belief: Shamans, Trance and the Afterlife at the moment; it expands the time frame and selection of cultures.

Both contain outdated and biased info about the Neanderthals, however. According to some new study, they for instance produced the first European cave paintings instead of Cro-Magnons.

The Malazan Book of the Fallen to anything and anyone above the IQ level of an amoeba. The next best thing after TCTC.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Frostheart wrote:Inside the Neolithic Mind (recced for lurchy, I think...); a study of how human neurology and altered states of mind may have shaped mythology and beliefs (and why all shamanistic cultures share some common religious elements)

Reading a derivative, rather similar book called Prehistoric Belief: Shamans, Trance and the Afterlife at the moment; it expands the time frame and selection of cultures.
Sounds cool. I'll have to look for 'em. Thanks, Softy. ;)

EZ Board Survivor

ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

I'm going to include some music references as well: u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

ussusimiel wrote:I'm going to include some music references as well:
  • - Jackson Browne (our anthemic roadtrip music) especially 'Running On Empty' for lorin's desert freakouts :lol:
u.
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: That is too funny. To fill in the missing context, U has a habit of running down the car to below zero gas in the middle of the desert. For a compulsive planner like me it was a source of many meltdowns and some hysteria. (well, maybe more than some)

Still waiting for the Freak Out Timeline.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Frostheart wrote:
The Malazan Book of the Fallen to anything and anyone above the IQ level of an amoeba.
we didn't get to talk about Erikson at Efest!!!!! poo! :D so glad to know you've read it! :D
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our