Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Ayn Rand's Harry Potter

Post by Cambo »

^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I tried really hard to like this, but my conditioning of taking offense whenever someone uses "Jewishly" in such a manner ruined the experience for me...
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Menolly wrote:I tried really hard to like this, but my conditioning of taking offense whenever someone uses "Jewishly" in such a manner ruined the experience for me...
I think that the offensiveness of that casual racism was rather the point- a further satirisation of Ayn Rand being a terrible person, rather than genuinely meant prejudice. Nu?

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Probably.
But I have problems with satire using such. I would just prefer it not be done at all.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Truth. Satire is generally a challenging medium for Menolly, and the combination of some hot-button phrasing and the use of the settings and characters of her beloved HP universe probably did not help.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

This is your forum, Menolly, and I will take no offence at all if you wanted to remove this post for being objectionable. I hope it's understood that a) I found this post genuinely hilarious, and b) I could not have found it genuinely hilarious if I felt it was anti-Semitic, and I certainly wouldn't have posted it here if that was the case.

:?

No offense or bad feelings were intended. I love satire, and thought this was a bit of a laugh.

Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Cambo wrote:
Menolly wrote:I tried really hard to like this, but my conditioning of taking offense whenever someone uses "Jewishly" in such a manner ruined the experience for me...
I think that the offensiveness of that casual racism was rather the point- a further satirisation of Ayn Rand being a terrible person, rather than genuinely meant prejudice. Nu?
Browsing the comments, it seems that the author of the post was actually criticizing J K Rowling's characterization of Snape instead of anything with Ayn Rand.... which was a poor choice on her part as a writer, since everything else is very much in the mode of Ayn Rand writing a Rowling story. It kinda confuses the reader.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Orlion wrote:
Cambo wrote:
Browsing the comments, it seems that the author of the post was actually criticizing J K Rowling's characterization of Snape instead of anything with Ayn Rand.... which was a poor choice on her part as a writer, since everything else is very much in the mode of Ayn Rand writing a Rowling story. It kinda confuses the reader.
Huh- bizarre. Strikes me as similar to people protesting Mario claiming Wario and Luigi look like Jews- seems to me you're putting the stereotypes in yourself at that point

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

No worries, Cambo. I have no problem with the link posted here. I was just saying that I personally was unable to enjoy it, most likely due to the conditioning I was raised with.
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Menolly wrote:No worries, Cambo. I have no problem with the link posted here. I was just saying that I personally was unable to enjoy it, most likely due to the conditioning I was raised with.
Oh, good. :)

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”