Atheism

Archive From The 'Tank
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

I offer you the promised feast of foolishness:
Zarathustra wrote:
Mongnihilo wrote:Religious knowledge is synthetic a priori, scientific knowledge is synthetic a posteriori, any apparent contradictions are the result of one category's attempt to impinge upon or overrule the territory of the other. When religion did it to science, they were wrong. When science does it to religion, that is also wrong, and foolish. How can there ever be empirical answers to metaphysical questions?
I disagree with every sentence in this paragraph. When the writer(s) of Genesis described the earth being made in 7 days, and spelled out what was made on which day, this was not a priori knowledge. The very idea of God--as an extrapolation and idealized abstraction from human characteristics--isn't a priori knowledge. In addition, scientific knowledge often starts out with pure conjecture, and no examination of empirical evidence whatsoever (e.g. Einstein's thought experiments). Empiricism and induction is not how science is done. [Check out David Deutsch's book THE BEGINNING OF INFINITY and our discussions in the Loresraat.]
Your idea of God (“an extrapolation and idealized abstraction from human characteristics”) begs the question as it defines the concept using synthetic a posteriori propositions. Other descriptive categories can be used to describe a concept of God, including analytic a priori and synthetic a priori: i.e., God as creator, archetype, symbol, source of meaning, etc. Einstein’s thought experiments rely on imagined empirical observations which are considered self-evidently true. They do not work when the outcome of the experiment is purely conjectural. Conjecture, or more rightly intuition, is the genesis of scientific investigation, but scientific statements themselves are rooted firmly in the empirical by the principle of falsifiability.
Religion started out as an attempt to explain the world. This was its "category." It was simply an unscientific explanation of the world. But its subject matter was the same as science (again, Genesis is a good example). Therefore, the two styles of explanation are in competition. The contradictions in these widely different explanations are ones of fact vs incorrect speculation. They are not apparent contradictions at all, but actual refutations.
Also begging the question. Though you do not hesitate to present a cosmogony for the origin of religion, it must be regarded as speculative rather than self-evident. The assignment of central importance to the literal interpretation of the creation story (or, mythos), though, suggests a certain amount of simplification or even reductionism in your view. The other, more spiritual, esoteric, and symbolic aspects of religious practice are completely ignored, as are the symbolic interpretations of the creation story. Many view the creation story of Judeo-Christianity as just that: a story concerned with the inference of a spiritual ethos, rather than the phenomenal description of a causal chain. In this way many Judeo-Christians find no contradiction between scientific knowledge about universal origins and the spiritual insight gained by the creation story.

Descriptors of phenomena are synthetic a posteriori, while intuitive concepts that are revealed subjectively fall into the category of synthetic a priori (among them concepts such as causality, continuity, the flow of time, etc.). Kant asserts and I accept that synthetic a priori knowledge can extend beyond these chiefly materialist heuristics into the realm of metaphysics, which includes spiritual truth, ethics, aesthetics, and other forms of transcendental experience. In contrast, you appear to indulge in a type of transcendental realism that affirms materialist heuristics as universal while casting out any other kind of non-materialist transcendentalism, and perhaps even denying their reality as subjective experiences.

Though it is not necessary to discuss the origins of religion here, it must be observed that man did not spring forth from the womb of nature in a labcoat. He had to acquire scientific modes of thought over aeons of cultural happenstance. So your anachronistic value judgments concerning the nature and motivations that lay behind primal religious experience and thought are unwarranted. I feel (and it is possible to disagree) that the influence of archetypes are a better way to conceive of man’s emergent relationship with religious ideas.
There can be empirical answers to metaphysical questions simply because some metaphysics are incompatible with our observations of the universe ... just as scientific theories about what happened prior to the Big Bang can be tested because some imply different outcomes than what we observe. Also, some metaphysical theories can be rejected on the basis of being bad explanations of reality, or irrational thinking, without looking at empirical evidence at all.

The rejection of metaphysical materialist heuristics, such as has occurred with time and causality thanks to modern physics, are distinct from transcendental metaphysics which are experienced subjectively. In that materialist heuristics are fundamental to the investigation of empirical phenomena, they must always be regarded as provisional as they cannot be established empirically. Transcendental experiences, OTOH, cannot be falsified along the same lines as that which is observed without, as the transcendental experience is the thing-in-itself rather than a heurism used provisionally to rationalize it. I’m not the first to say this nor the most able, I refer you to the various forms of Cogito over the centuries. It is notable, of course, that it is just to these types of transcendental experiences that people usually attach the most significance, and which are most strongly associated with religion.
Mongnihilo wrote:The points about the miracles of Christ are merely an appeal to credulity, it does not rest on anything more substantial than the observation that "I haven't personally seen it happen, and I don't trust the reports that it does." But a human body, for instance, in Z's way of thinking is merely a self-assembled self-sustaining set of proteins. In what way is it fundamentally impossible to reanimate one? It isn't, and you know that if you apply your logic with rigor. There are many possibilities, none of which can be definitively eliminated absent proof.

For instance, suppose that Christ never existed and people made the stories up. Or, alternately, Christ had access to alien technology that merely appeared miraculous, as well as insights into the spiritual nature of creation at a level that allowed him to transcend what we conceive of as the expected limitations of mind and matter. You don't have to believe any of that, but you certainly cannot say that it did not happen in any sort of definitive way. You can simply speculate about the probabilities against it, which of course are based on the incomplete information accumulated by a field of inquiry practiced by pretentious simians who are yet barely able to control their primal instincts much less rigorously discipline their cognitive apparati.
Again, I disagree with every sentence here. It's not an appeal to credulity any more than a theory of a magical proton being rejected because it violates known laws of physics. The Jesus myth does not include the possibility that he alone had access to alien technology. It's a story about the Son of God. We can reject this conjecture on the basis of its alleged supernatural elements alone, just as we would reject any myth containing supernatural elements ... such a rejection is based on methodological naturalism, not appeal to credulity.

Absence of evidence does not equal evidence of absence. You cannot disprove the existence of a phenomenon simply because you are unable to rationalize it or propose a method whereby it can be accomplished that satisfies your sensibilities. As said before, all you can do is consider the matter inductively which introduces a probability calculus, albeit one with uncertain veracity.
The universe is explicable. Supernatural phenomena are not. Thus, the universe is not supernatural; if it were, it wouldn't be explicable. Assuming otherwise--or even allowing for the possibility--is itself irrational, by definition, because it's allowing for the possibility that the universe isn't rational/explicable. Such a belief is in the same class as creationism, spontaneous generation, and superstition in general. It's the rejection of the possibility of scientific progress, which the past few centuries have shown is not only possible but actual. Our very existence depends upon the universe operating by explicable rules. We would not be here to debate it if that weren't the case. I can say that Jesus (the Son of God in the story) didn't exist because I do exist. And I can say that definitively.
In what way does Schrodinger’s Cat, the double slit experiment, and Gödel’s theorem suggest to you that the universe is fundamentally explicable. The mere fact of phenomenon does not prove that said phenomenon can also be successfully rationalized. And that is what you are really talking about when you use the word “explicable.” Rationalized means assembled into a coherent narrative (causality, continuity, time) that appeals to the human intellect. Yes, certain phenomena can be rationalized within certain bounds, provided that a set of phenomena can be assembled into models with explanatory and predictive power. Yet even there, some of the most comprehensively predictive models are some of the least explanatory – and it really shouldn’t be necessary to refer to quantum mechanics at this point. There is a model that defies all attempts to rationalize it.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

aliantha wrote:Only a little off-topic...
;)
Hee hee....not off-topic at all.
Many atheists would go for it...except something as respectful, but not as submissive/enslaving as worship.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Zarathustra wrote:
Fist and Faith wrote:I'm talking about a non-specific being of immeasurable power creating reality.
I just don't understand why existence needs to be personified in this way. Why must the cause of the universe be a "being?" And then what or who created this being? If things that exist have to be explained in terms of beings, then we begin an infinite chain of beings to explain the previous being. Stopping at just one being seems as arbitrary as inventing one in the first place. Neither move seems justifiable. If existence is something so inexplicable that it requires a being of immeasurable power to explain it, then why is this being sufficient to explain itself? We're just going to define it that way?
It doesn't need to be personified in this way. We're just discussing how we feel about the worthiness/legitimacy of science if it is personified this way.

As for the rest of your paragraph, you're preaching to the choir. My feeling is that something either always existed, or came into existence for no reason. After all, the universe exists. Either it is what always existed or came into existence for no reason, or something that, itself, always existed or came into existence for no reason caused it to come into existence. Since the universe is a fact by every definition of the word, and no creator is by any definition that I'm aware of, I believe the universe is the thing that always existed or came into existence for no reason.

Zarathustra wrote:Even a completely deist (non-intervening) creator undermines science by placing the origin of the universe beyond scientific explanation. Anything that makes nature supernatural undermines nature.
How gravity came to exist is not important when trying to measure gravity's strength. When timing how long it takes something to drop from a certain height, we don't set our watches one way for "No Creator" and another way for "Creator".

And how gravity came to exist is not important to the question of whether or not we want to know gravity's strength. Is it important for us to know? Will it help us do X or Y more easily, or at all?
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Fist and Faith wrote:
Zarathustra wrote:Even a completely deist (non-intervening) creator undermines science by placing the origin of the universe beyond scientific explanation. Anything that makes nature supernatural undermines nature.
How gravity came to exist is not important when trying to measure gravity's strength. When timing how long it takes something to drop from a certain height, we don't set our watches one way for "No Creator" and another way for "Creator".

I kinda like that.
But I think there's another answer that allows for some creator/deity [though not one I've ever heard anyone say they actually believe in] without doing what Z says...maybe. But it's just a minor variation of the STV previously explored.
If/when we understand everything that IS, if anything about how remains...THEN the 'diety' might come have a chat with us and explain it...as best it can, anyway. But at that point, it won't really be 'supernatural' anymore.
Funny thought [well, to me] is: lots of atheists, myself included, say things like "if I die and there IS one, s/he'll have a lot of explaining to do."
But I don't think so right now...I think those [us] folk will love and laugh and celebrate. It's the ones who are wrong [what's that monty python thing? I'm sorry, Christians, the Jews were right...] that will be raging for some 'splainin. [if such emotions, and attachment to body-life are possible/allowed in the afterlife].
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Post by TheFallen »

Yep to many of the posts above. I think it's important to distinguish between an anthropomorphized concept of "God" - one where it is assumed that we know His/Her/Its personality, character, abilities and wishes - and a more pragmatic deist approach that merely allows for the possibility of a creator. This is much the same distinction as has been requested between a specific God/mythos (as per Judeo-Christian tradition) and a more generic concept of creator again.

It's not difficult to pooh-pooh or debunk a specific religion's set of oral traditions in many areas, if one is to take them literally and deconstruct such fundamentalist assertions against today's scientific knowledge, models and theories. But just because this *can* be done - and so easily that it's banal to do so - it does *not* follow that religion (in its limited sense of believing in the existence of a creator) is incompatible with science.

Z, you had issues with "explicability" before and seem to react vehemently against any acceptance that some things may be cientifically "inexplicable". I think Mong more correctly identified this problem of yours as "rationaliz-ability", or to use his own words:-
Mongnihilo wrote:Rationalized means assembled into a coherent narrative (causality, continuity, time) that appeals to the human intellect. Yes, certain phenomena can be rationalized within certain bounds, provided that a set of phenomena can be assembled into models with explanatory and predictive power.
Forgive me, but isn't that then again a somewhat hubristic and almost anthropomorphic view? That the universe *must* run to rules and models that humanity is capable of conceiving and understanding? Doesn't that just beg a massive question, namely "WHY?" Why should all aspects of the reality which we inhabit have to be rationalizable? Needless to say, the question becomes even more condign when we're dealing with the possibility of a creator outside of our own reality - or "supernatural" in its truest sense.

Now I'm not saying that a "why" fixation is always a bad thing - in fact, it's a key part of what makes us human. Our inquiring mind is at the very core of science and has led to near-on unimaginable advances for us as a technological species. But does there not come a point where "why" has no relevance - and possibly no usefulness as well? It's like FnF said, when he effectively echoed my earlier point about there being a set of universal constants that just so happen to be at perfect Goldilocks levels to allow matter to exist.:-
Fist and Faith wrote:How gravity came to exist is not important when trying to measure gravity's strength. When timing how long it takes something to drop from a certain height, we don't set our watches one way for "No Creator" and another way for "Creator".

And how gravity came to exist is not important to the question of whether or not we want to know gravity's strength. Is it important for us to know? Will it help us do X or Y more easily, or at all?
Does anyone actually think there's an answer as to *why* the rate of alpha decay is as it is? It quite conceivably just *is* and there's quite conceivably no good reason for it to be so - yes, we wouldn't exist to measure it, were it just a hair's breadth different to what it actually is, but so what? Why can there not be a point at which science runs out? Or no longer has any validity? Especially if such potential point is transcendent to the limitations of our own little cosmos and reality?

(I almost got a little SRD here and started drawing analogies to creators who were outside our own arch of time and who could not interfere without destroying their creations, but thought better of it.)
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

TheFallen wrote: (I almost got a little SRD here and started drawing analogies to creators who were outside our own arch of time and who could not interfere without destroying their creations, but thought better of it.)
Why'd you think better of it? I think...as far as speculations on the [Super]Nature of Creators goes...it's got a number of strengths.

Heh...there's an interesting little vid on youtube that's about physics, but can be creatively applied, and has interesting implications...in a way, the opposite of the SRD-ish. Immovable object, unstoppable force...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eKc5kgPVrA
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Vraith wrote:
aliantha wrote:Only a little off-topic...
;)
Hee hee....not off-topic at all.
Many atheists would go for it...except something as respectful, but not as submissive/enslaving as worship.
I'm not entirely comfortable with "worship" myself. It's not like I bow to trees or anything. ;) But I think anybody who's ever stood on a mountaintop or under a forest canopy can appreciate Nature's immensity.

And TheFallen, as you say, there may be questions that we're incapable of answering within the limits of our understanding. I don't object to the continuing search for answers, but I'm also good with "some things just *are*."

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Vraith wrote:If/when we understand everything that IS, if anything about how remains...THEN the 'diety' might come have a chat with us and explain it...as best it can, anyway.
OK, this is kinda hysterical. I've long had an idea. For a few decades, anyway. You just jolted me, so I wrote it out. I've never had even this much of the idea fleshed out, which, as you can see, still isn't much. It was only the main concept I ever had in mind. So here's the story I wrote.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I don't have time for every point here , but to get started off the top of my head:
Mongnihilo wrote:
I wrote:The Jesus myth does not include the possibility that he alone had access to alien technology. It's a story about the Son of God. We can reject this conjecture on the basis of its alleged supernatural elements alone, just as we would reject any myth containing supernatural elements ... such a rejection is based on methodological naturalism, not appeal to credulity.

Absence of evidence does not equal evidence of absence. You cannot disprove the existence of a phenomenon simply because you are unable to rationalize it or propose a method whereby it can be accomplished that satisfies your sensibilities. As said before, all you can do is consider the matter inductively which introduces a probability calculus, albeit one with uncertain veracity.
I'm not trying to prove or disprove anything. I'm describing criteria by which we can (or should) treat hypothetical entities, treatment which can include anything from dismissal, to consideration, to acceptance. I don't think you have to disprove something to dismiss it, nor do you have to prove something to accept it. Rational explanations can be formulated (with the assumption of falliblism, not proof), and their acceptance depends on whether they are good explanations, not "proven existence of phenomenon X."

No supernatural explanation can ever be a good explanation. The reason? Because literally anything can happen once you introduce them. There are no limits. As explanations, they are utterly ambiguous, because there's no way to distinguish the idea of Athena causing phenomenon X or magical Elves causing phenomenon X. The introduction of, "... and then a miracle happened," can never be part of a good explanation, because it explains nothing. It's logically the same as saying, "... and then something inexplicable happened."

Therefore, since supernatural explanations explain nothing, account for nothing, and this situation can never be improved, it is entirely reasonable to dismiss supernatural phenomena solely on the basis of their explanatory power (or lack thereof), without even consulting the evidence (or lack thereof). It's not an empirical argument. To speak of the supernatural is to speak of nothing in the world, nothing that explains anything in the world, and nothing that features in any explanation of things in the world. It can't even be stated with any specificity. It's gibberish. What *is* a deity? The concept has no positive content, aside from its vague anthropomorphisms.
In what way does Schrodinger’s Cat, the double slit experiment, and Gödel’s theorem suggest to you that the universe is fundamentally explicable.
Gödel's theorem deals with invented formal systems, not anything in the real world. Schrodinger's Cat can be explained with the multiple worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics (for which physicist David Deutch claims there is overwhelming evidence).
The mere fact of phenomenon does not prove that said phenomenon can also be successfully rationalized. And that is what you are really talking about when you use the word “explicable.” Rationalized means assembled into a coherent narrative (causality, continuity, time) that appeals to the human intellect. Yes, certain phenomena can be rationalized within certain bounds, provided that a set of phenomena can be assembled into models with explanatory and predictive power. Yet even there, some of the most comprehensively predictive models are some of the least explanatory – and it really shouldn’t be necessary to refer to quantum mechanics at this point. There is a model that defies all attempts to rationalize it.
Again, you speak of proof. I can't stress enough that I'm not talking about proof. The assumption that any given physical phenomenon can be explained is justified in several ways. First of all, the success of science itself makes a compelling case for the universe being fundamentally explicable. Science didn't have to work at all. For instance, there is nothing intuitively obvious in the idea that the force of gravity falls off at the square of the distance between objects. It could have fallen off at completely random rates. The same goes for every other force. Or every phenomenon we encounter. A genetic mechanism that spells out our biological "blueprint?" A way to measure the chemical composition of distant stars? Who could have imagined these things 1000 years ago? That fact that it took so long to discover science shows that we're not merely forcing our inborn prejudices upon the world. Evolution didn't shape us to prefer these kinds of explanations. We had to "drag them" out of reality "kicking and screaming." And once we did, we realized they worked in millions of other contexts, for millions of other phenomenon, that we never expected.

Once we learned to think this way, we began to see that there's not a single area of physical reality which resists a rational explanation, i.e. science. And conversely, every previous supernatural explanation was shown to have a natural counterpart that explained the phenomenon much better. There's not a single supernatural explanation that survives the Enlightenment, except perhaps Creation itself (though quantum cosmology will likely put that to rest, too).

But in addition to the success of rational explanation as an empirical, historical fact, there is also the rational argument: the insistence upon entities which can't be explained is itself an inexplicable assumption. On what basis can one be insistent in this matter? How could you know, for instance, that a given phenomenon is beyond explanation in principle, rather than merely in practice? Given the overwhelming failure of every single supernatural explanation of the past, the expectation for one to succeed in the present (or future) can only be based on wishful thinking that runs 180 degrees counter to hundreds of years of evidence. It's irrational to suppose that the world is in any way irrational. The hypothesis itself has no rational justification.

What about things like Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, which introduce limits to our knowledge? Well, there is a difference between a particular value being known and a phenomenon being explained. The introduction of a limit to our knowledge doesn't mean that which lies on the other side of this limit is irrational or inexplicable. Momentum doesn't become supernatural or magical just because you've measured position and hence reduced certainty of the other variable in this conjugate pair.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

TheFallen wrote:It's not difficult to pooh-pooh or debunk a specific religion's set of oral traditions in many areas, if one is to take them literally and deconstruct such fundamentalist assertions against today's scientific knowledge, models and theories. But just because this *can* be done - and so easily that it's banal to do so - it does *not* follow that religion (in its limited sense of believing in the existence of a creator) is incompatible with science.
But isn't it fair to say that supernatural explanations or phenomena are incompatible with natural explanations/phenomena? Just as it's fair to say that fairy tales and forensics are incompatible?

Why should something natural (like the universe) need a supernatural explanation? If nothing in nature requires it, then why would nature itself? Doesn't the assumption that nature can't exist on its own without supernatural intervention (i.e. creation) make a judgment about nature being insufficient/incomplete/inexplicable? That judgment is pure fiction. It's literally based on nothing real.
TheFallen wrote:Z, you had issues with "explicability" before and seem to react vehemently against any acceptance that some things may be cientifically "inexplicable". I think Mong more correctly identified this problem of yours as "rationaliz-ability", or to use his own words:-
Mongnihilo wrote:Rationalized means assembled into a coherent narrative (causality, continuity, time) that appeals to the human intellect. Yes, certain phenomena can be rationalized within certain bounds, provided that a set of phenomena can be assembled into models with explanatory and predictive power.
Forgive me, but isn't that then again a somewhat hubristic and almost anthropomorphic view? That the universe *must* run to rules and models that humanity is capable of conceiving and understanding? Doesn't that just beg a massive question, namely "WHY?" Why should all aspects of the reality which we inhabit have to be rationalizable?
I disagree with Mong's characterization of "rationalized." It's not constructing a narrative that appeals to the human intellect. It's answering the questions, "Why? How?" Do we believe plate tectonics because it appeals to the human intellect? What exactly is appealing about the idea of floating plates of crust on a sea of magma? Why is this more appealing than a static earth? To many people, the idea of change in something that seems so stable (in the short term, e.g. the scale of human lives) isn't appealing at all, but foreign. Plate tectonics was quite controversial, even among scientists, precisely because it ran counter to what "human intellect" found to be obvious.

However, despite what most scientists thought, it was grudgingly admitted that it explained a wide variety of phenomena that no other single theory could explain (mountains, earth quakes, the shape of the continents, etc.), none of these things which were obviously related at first glance.

Contrary to what's said here, good explanations are usually those that take us AWAY from our human bias, our human perspective, and reveal truths that transcend our limited, parochial view. It is the ability of our intellect to transcend localized, temporary, human views and uncover universal relations that gives rational explanations their reach. That's why the same style of thinking can explain the subatomic as well as the intergalactic. Why is that so? Why would evolution give a bunch of "glorified apes" a style of thinking that had such universal reach, if it's nothing more than an anthropomorphism? No mere quirk of one species' fondness for a type of thinking could possibly be so successful on such scales if it weren't reaching universal truths.

I have no idea why reality should be explicable. Many great thinkers have pondered the "unreasonable success of math" at explaining things that seem diametrically opposed to such rigidly structured, ideal objects as numbers and their relations. But the fact that there are indeed patterns and organization in nature itself begs for an explanation. It would be ludicrous to assume such patterns have no explanation, just as ridiculous as finding a watch on the beach and assuming it had no maker. Highly organized, functional systems naturally call for an explanation. And the more we look at nature, the more we realize that it's comprised of organized, functional systems ... on all scales, in every direction, for all times.
Does anyone actually think there's an answer as to *why* the rate of alpha decay is as it is? It quite conceivably just *is* and there's quite conceivably no good reason for it to be so - yes, we wouldn't exist to measure it, were it just a hair's breadth different to what it actually is, but so what? Why can there not be a point at which science runs out? Or no longer has any validity? Especially if such potential point is transcendent to the limitations of our own little cosmos and reality?
David Deutch could answer these questions a lot better than I can, if you're truly curious (and not just asking them rhetorically with an assumption of certainty). If the rate of alpha decay has no reason for being what it is, then that's the same as saying it could be anything. Since it's not anything, but something specific, this in itself suggests that there is a cause which determines why it's this, and not that.

How would science operate if we allowed this position as a general principle? We could adopt this position for ANY phenomenon. We could ask, "Isn't it conceivable that life simply exists without explanation?" And then we'd stop there, never realizing that there is actually an explanation. It's an appeal to ignorance that is unreasonably pessimistic.

I think that supposing there is a point where "science runs out" is actually a point where your imagination runs out, i.e. the inability to conceive the form future knowledge will take. In the late 1800s, the top scientists in the world were predicting the end of science. They said that everything of significance had been discovered and explained, and the future of science would be confined to discoveries in the 6th decimal place ... refining current measurements to a slightly greater accuracy. And then came relativity and quantum mechanics, entirely upending physics.

Thinking that there is a limit is the anthropomorphism. Our parochial human perspective balks at the Infinite.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Mongnihilo wrote:Absence of evidence does not equal evidence of absence. You cannot disprove the existence of a phenomenon simply because you are unable to rationalize it or propose a method whereby it can be accomplished that satisfies your sensibilities. As said before, all you can do is consider the matter inductively which introduces a probability calculus, albeit one with uncertain veracity.
I don't think the word "phenomenon" applies here. Who would try to disprove the existence of something that's observable? But, in the absence of evidence and rationality, the position that there is no reason to give an idea another thought is understandable.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Zarathustra wrote: I have no idea why reality should be explicable. Many great thinkers have pondered the "unreasonable success of math" at explaining things that seem diametrically opposed to such rigidly structured, ideal objects as numbers and their relations. But the fact that there are indeed patterns and organization in nature itself begs for an explanation. It would be ludicrous to assume such patterns have no explanation, just as ridiculous as finding a watch on the beach and assuming it had no maker. Highly organized, functional systems naturally call for an explanation. And the more we look at nature, the more we realize that it's comprised of organized, functional systems ... on all scales, in every direction, for all times.
It isn't so much that reality is explicable as it is that we are really good at coming up with explanations for things we observe. Perhaps there were many universes which came into existence at the same moment but the physical constants were different in those universes and they have long since collapsed or have already gone into what we would call heat death. We will never know since they don't exist, never mind the fact that we wouldn't be able to detect them in any event. Some explanations are better than others and the ones which are not eventually die out as they are abandoned.

Why is pi the value it is? Why does e (the base of the natural logarithm, a function which is its own derivative) have the value it has? Why is it that integral [e^(-x^2)] {-infinity < x < infinity} = sqrt(pi/2)? How is that even possible? *shrug* Damned if I know but there it is.
Why is it that rational numbers are countably infinite but both irrational and transcendental numbers are both uncountably infinite with the uncountability of transcendentals exceeding that of irrationals? How is it that irrational numbers have non-terminating decimal approximations (sqrt 3 = 1.7320508....) but if you look at them in a continued fraction format they do have a repeating pattern? sqrt 3 = 1+ 1/(1 + 2/(1 + 1/(2 + 1/....
How is it that the Cantor set, formed by staring with the closed interval [0,1], throwing out the middle third, then throwing out the middle thirds of the segments which remain, repeating the process infinitely many times, is still an uncountable set yet is totally disconnected (if you take any two points in the Cantor set you can put open intervals around them so that they do not intersect one another)?

Right now the only answers we have to those sorts of questions include "God", "it just is", "we should count ourselves lucky--if things weren't this way the universe wouldn't exist", "why not?", and so on. Some of these responses may be less than optimal to some but I suppose that is why we are still working on them, so that our answers in the future are better than the ones we have right now.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
TheFallen

Post by TheFallen »

Aaaaah... now we're getting somewhere. Hashi, excellent post, which I'll now duly cannibalise.
Zarathustra wrote:But isn't it fair to say that supernatural explanations or phenomena are incompatible with natural explanations/phenomena? Just as it's fair to say that fairy tales and forensics are incompatible?
Sure, in one sense I completely concur - but as Fisty suggests, it's dependant upon how one defines "phenomena". Let's take lightning for instance - long believed to be caused by gods in many cultures around the world. Now that's a phenomenon where the case you make applies absolutely - but where your case IMO falls down is if one takes a more holistic (or if you like, fundamental) view. Here's what I mean.

Upthread I talked about frames of reference and likened our universe/reality to a closed box. Now I'm relatively (no pun intended) confident that at some stage we'll get to understand (or explain, or rationalise) pretty much everything that happens within our closed box. However, I do not believe that we will - or even can - understand anything about our universe as a whole. Why it even exists - which let's face it is the ultimate holistic question that can be asked - is inevitably only ever going to remain a matter of conjecture or speculation. How can we ever be in a position to scientifically, empirically and objectively analyse our own reality from an externalised viewpoint?
Zarathustra wrote:Why should something natural (like the universe) need a supernatural explanation? If nothing in nature requires it, then why would nature itself? Doesn't the assumption that nature can't exist on its own without supernatural intervention (i.e. creation) make a judgment about nature being insufficient/incomplete/inexplicable? That judgment is pure fiction. It's literally based on nothing real.
Viewpoint and definition issues abound again. If by "nature", you intend "everything that occurs within our universe/reality", then as above, I find myself agreeing with you. However, all you're answering are the (admittedly almost never-ending) questions as to why things happen *within* our reality. You're not answering the most fundamental question as to why there is a reality in the first place in which things can happen.
Zarathustra wrote:But the fact that there are indeed patterns and organization in nature itself begs for an explanation. It would be ludicrous to assume such patterns have no explanation, just as ridiculous as finding a watch on the beach and assuming it had no maker. Highly organized, functional systems naturally call for an explanation. And the more we look at nature, the more we realize that it's comprised of organized, functional systems ... on all scales, in every direction, for all times.
Okay, let me grab your watch analogy and run with it - a thing fraught with danger, courtesy of Dawkins amongst others, but I'll do it anyway. Let's consider our entire universe (or reality, if you'd rather) as being the watch. Now I fully agree that science as it has evolved and become increasingly more sophisticated has revealed an ever-increasing number of laws or explanations as to how the various mechanisms within said watch operate and interact. We certainly don't understand everything about the watch, but we're on an inexorable and sensible move away from "fairy" explanations to "forensic" ones - and that's all good.

But we're just answering "HOW" and not "WHY"... I've banged on upthread about alpha and our universe being intrinsically based upon, nay utterly dependant upon having a set of fundamental constants that are at very specific values, without which it - and our entire reality - could not exist. A little research seems to suggest that alongside alpha (aka the Fine Structure Constant) we currently believe there are up to nine others (including the Boltzmann Constant, the Gravitational Constant, The Planck Constant, the Proton to Electron Mass Ratio and a few more). Sure, we can measure these constants and assign them values and we can work out the effects that they have - BUT the point is that they are fundamental constants - you cannot break them down any further... they just *ARE*. We have absolutely no clue as to *WHY* they are at the levels that they are - in fact, let me briefly defer to someone who actually knew what he was talking about when he opined upon alpha/the Fine Structure Constant thus:-
Richard Feynmann wrote:There is a most profound and beautiful question associated with the observed coupling constant, e – the amplitude for a real electron to emit or absorb a real photon. It is a simple number that has been experimentally determined to be close to 0.08542455. (My physicist friends won't recognize this number, because they like to remember it as the inverse of its square: about 137.03597 with about an uncertainty of about 2 in the last decimal place. It has been a mystery ever since it was discovered more than fifty years ago, and all good theoretical physicists put this number up on their wall and worry about it.) Immediately you would like to know where this number for a coupling comes from: is it related to pi or perhaps to the base of natural logarithms? Nobody knows. It's one of the greatest damn mysteries of physics: a magic number that comes to us with no understanding by man. You might say the "hand of God" wrote that number, and "we don't know how He pushed his pencil." We know what kind of a dance to do experimentally to measure this number very accurately, but we don't know what kind of dance to do on the computer to make this number come out, without putting it in secretly!
Science and especially physics is superb at coming up with laws - or predictive models if you'd rather - that explain and repeatably match our observation of reality. But again, do we not eventually run into a fundamental barrier where science does not and indeed cannot explain why things should be as they undoubtedly are, and can only say that they just *are*?

Sure, I'll concede that fundamental inexplicabilities are apparent anathema to science - they certainly really REALLY chafe with many scientists - Einstein being a famous example. He hated the fact that he had to include a reasonless universal constant in some of his equations to make them work and opined late on that such was the single biggest mistake of his career. (Ironically, I think I read somewhere that modern scientific thinking suggests that he was in fact absolutely right to introduce this inexplicable constant). Anyhow, such was Einstein's unease with inexplicability that he famously stated:-
Albert Einstein wrote:It seems hard to sneak a look at God's cards. But that He plays dice and uses "telepathic" methods... is something that I cannot believe for a single moment.
However, slightly less well-known is Niels Böhr's even more cogent reply:-
Niels Böhr wrote:Einstein, stop telling God what to do.
Just because something's held to be inexplicable and feasibly eternally inexplicable as far as humanity and our reality is concerned does not necessarily make it untrue, invalid or a "faulty" piece of thinking.

Anyhow, going back to your watch analogy, we can indeed see that the universe is full of "highly organized, functional systems" that do indeed beg for us to discover explanations for them. Just like a watch... but, regardless of its comprehensible and predictable inner workings, how come the whole watch exists in the first place? One could almost rationally infer the existence of a watchmaker after all, whether blind or not. :biggrin:

Hashi came up with a comprehensive list of potential answers when he offered up:-
Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Right now the only answers we have to those sorts of questions include "God", "it just is", "we should count ourselves lucky--if things weren't this way the universe wouldn't exist", "why not?", and so on. Some of these responses may be less than optimal to some but I suppose that is why we are still working on them, so that our answers in the future are better than the ones we have right now.
Now I think that this list can be simplified down to just two feasible answers, namely:-

A. God (or a creator, if you prefer), or

B. Chance.

I'm discounting the "it just is" and "why not?" as irrelevancies, connected to Hashi's other proposed answer, the anthropic principle, which in itself is circular and in many ways a piece of sophistry. There's no value in it - sure, without our universe being based upon fundamental constants at precise values, we wouldn't be here to observe it, but that is a sub-set question as to why our universe is as it is... it's a cul-de-sac.

I've already stated that Chance is a potentially logical explanation, though Chance (or worse yet, Luck) would hardly satisfy science. The likelihood of the fundamental rules within our reality all being exactly as they are is vanishingly improbable, when one tries to conceive of an externalised viewpoint upon which to stand - that is, a viewpoint externalised to our entire reality. However, if as quantum physicists tell us, everything that can happen, does happen, then it's quite feasible that an infinite multitude of universes exists (or have existed) to allow for the vanishing improbability of our own. But we'll never be able to interact with, let alone detect any of them - we're in our box, encased in our watch with all its mechanisms, and surely that's all we'll ever be scientifically able to prove.

Everything else is pure conjecture and arrant supposition (how could it be otherwise?), and that's why Answer A is just as much a good answer as Answer B - plus of course, even if you do plump for Answer B and the "infinite universes" theory, the question is then begged, if there exists a multiverse, how in Heaven's name did it come about? Maybe it came about in Heaven's name after all... :D

And, as Fisty's already pointed out, even if we could, would there really be any value in proving/disproving the existence of something which will never have the slightest scientific relevance to our own encapsulated reality, whether that be the existence of the multiverse or the existence of a creator?

***EDITED PROFUSELY TO CORRECT SEVERAL REALLY AGGRAVATING MINOR TYPOS... GRRR***
Last edited by TheFallen on Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 22 times in total.

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

TheFallen wrote:But we're just answering "HOW" and not "WHY"
Exactly. Science is great at answering the "how". For the "why," we have to turn to philosophy (and I'm including religion under that umbrella ;) ).
TheFallen wrote:Now I think that this list can be simplified down to just two feasible answers, namely:-

A. God (or a creator, if you prefer), or

B. Chance.
This is what I was driving at upthread, when I asked Z why "we're lucky SOBs" was a better answer than "it's a miracle." The bottom line is that when we're talking about the Why, we're likely never going to know the answer. We can only investigate things that are inside our universe; we can't discern the system architecture from our vantage point, because we can't see the whole system from here.

This, I think, is how scientists reconcile themselves with faith. They work tirelessly to figure out the How, but they know they have to turn elsewhere to posit the Why. 8)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

aliantha wrote: This, I think, is how scientists reconcile themselves with faith. They work tirelessly to figure out the How, but they know they have to turn elsewhere to posit the Why. 8)
Perhaps they do...I know for certain that at least some of them do.
But there are some other things going on.
For instance, people sometimes get squishy/shifty on what they mean by "Why" and how it's applied.
For example: Hashi wonders about why pi is what it is upthread. But why doesn't really apply to pi. Because pi is not a generator/foundational fact/determining or controlling force or object of the universe. Pi is a RESULT of the particular shape/space/relationships in this universe. Now, I personally can't really imaging a space/shape different from ours that would result in a different pi value, or manage the maths that have such, in any deep way. However, I do know that in the real, physical universe pi isn't as real, as consistent as "constant" as folk suppose. If you calculate the surface area/volume of the Earth mathematically...then you physically measure it...you will find a difference [above and beyond the irrationality of pi]. Pi is what it is because it is a ratio in certain axiomatic systems...it is a result of the assumptions/definitions of those systems. I am assured there are OTHER axiomatic systems where it has a different value.

Another thing: the "real" why question...on purposes, meaning, causes of initial facts/settings/values/causes...might not BE a real question. It might simply be a creative invention [or emergent property] of minds/language and, NOT APPLICABLE to literal, extant [or even concept-only existant] things.
Am I making sense yet? Probably not...but to continue forward anyway:

Some have talked above about the need for particular constants with particular relationships/values.

That doesn't seem to be so.

WE need them to be US in our universe. But there are many possibilities, not "proven" yet, but suggested, for stable, survivable universes with other values.

And hints that our universe isn't quite so delicately balanced on those values as has been assumed.

Why becomes much less problematic if/when everything doesn't depend on multiple, precise, unalterable values, but instead similar things can happen lots of different ways. [especially if there are many, many chances for things to work out].

But where I really want to go with this is the "in our box" thing.
I don't believe the conclusions drawn about that...our inability to explain/detect/experience/influence or be influenced by things "outside"...is true.
And our ability to ask "Why" is why.
"Why" is a simple signifier for our ability, our most important ability probably, to change viewpoints, to assume more than one...even work with more than one at one time.
Asking "why" is the first expression of the fact that we CAN see from "outside the box."
It's how Godel can do what he did...and how we can use OTHER systems to make up for/cover the inherent problems in any and all single systems.

It is absolutely true that we can imagine different boxes, and our own box from different angles...but I'm not stopping at thought/concept/imagination.

Many years ago I ran across a couple SF books at roughly the same time that had a similarity. Much of the tech used [especially that involved in space flight] was based on the idea of altering fundamental properties. [locally, of course, in a controlled manner].
Lo and behold, this has really been done [though, IIRC it was just temporary and on a couple electrons. I think I put it in the Loresraat at some point.]
Once we not only understand the rules and properties, but can ALTER them, those things "outside" our box become reachable/demonstrable. [or, at least, the sides of our box become transparent.]

Why, unlike the other w's, [and the h] isn't really about questions-that-can-be-answered.
Why is mind/being-in-the-state-of-questioning.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Speaking of Schrodinger's Cat, I read this today:
Schrödinger's cat is caught on camera! Ghostly image captured using light that NEVER touched the lens

The latest experiment has allowed scientists at the Austrian Academy of Sciences to find a way to observe the cat without ever having to look at it.

The work, scientists say, might help physicists solve what they call the measurement problem.

This is the question of why quantum states take on certain values only when they are observed.

In this experiment, researchers measured the entangled state of a pair of photons using only one photon of the entangled pair.
They had previously only been able to see the entangled state when they had to measured both photons.
So here you go, another "inexplicable" thing that people have assumed is beyond our ability to know, and now we're taking pictures of it! Solving the measurement problem in quantum mechanics is huge.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Don't we already have the answer to the measurement problem? Only quantum-level objects exist in every possible state; the devices doing the measuring, being non-quantum, exist in only one state and so when they take a measurement the result is that it captures only one state and ignores the others. In other words, imagine a globe spinning so quickly that you cannot make out individual countries or bodies of water then get a high-speed camera to take a snapshot. When you look at the image you captured "one state" of the globe yet ignored all the other possible positions it could have been in the moment you took the picture. If we were somehow able to make a detecting device that could exist in multiple energy states then we might get a different view of a quantum-level object. I don't know what that view would look like, of course.

What about the question of non-localization? Wasn't there an experiment which concluded that a single photon could pass through two openings at once and create an interference pattern with itself? Or am I conflating two different experiments?

Measurement itself is conditional. If you get a large enough sphere but take a small enough measurement you might conclude "the surface is flat".
TheFallen

Post by TheFallen »

Zarathustra wrote:Speaking of Schrodinger's Cat, I read this today:
Schrödinger's cat is caught on camera! Ghostly image captured using light that NEVER touched the lens

...So here you go, another "inexplicable" thing that people have assumed is beyond our ability to know, and now we're taking pictures of it! Solving the measurement problem in quantum mechanics is huge.
Yes, but...
TheFallen wrote:Now I'm relatively (no pun intended) confident that at some stage we'll get to understand (or explain, or rationalise) pretty much everything that happens within our closed box. However, I do not believe that we will - or even can - understand anything about our universe as a whole. Why it even exists - which let's face it is the ultimate holistic question that can be asked - is inevitably only ever going to remain a matter of conjecture or speculation. How can we ever be in a position to scientifically, empirically and objectively analyse our own reality from an externalised viewpoint?
and...
TheFallen wrote:Viewpoint and definition issues abound again. If by "nature", you intend "everything that occurs within our universe/reality", then as above, I find myself agreeing with you. However, all you're answering are the (admittedly almost never-ending) questions as to why things happen *within* our reality. You're not answering the most fundamental question as to why there is a reality in the first place in which things can happen.
I've already freely conceded that science is the premier methodology bar none to explain phenomena that take place within the confines of our own reality and every year we make great advances in unlocking many of those mysteries that naturally lie within our universe that have been previously held as inexplicable. However, it does NOT necessarily follow that, just because we can "solve" (or rationalise, or explain) the previously inexplicable, either a) we'll be able to "explain" all aspects of our own reality, or b) we'll ever know why our universe/reality is as it is, or c) we'll ever be able to do anything other than wildly guess at what our universe may be like, if observed as a whole from an external viewpoint.

Z, earlier you used the very well-turned phrase "our parochial human perspective balks at the Infinite" and I think you're absolutely right, especially if one takes the word "parochial" to mean "forever bound within our own reality". If someone's shut in a hermetically sealed box, no matter how vast or complex internally, how could one even start to paint an accurate picture of the box from the outside, or the environment outside the box, let alone ever test if one's pictorial suppositions are accurate or not? And what'd be the relevance or usefulness of such an attempt? Given that humanity is a product of its own reality, we may not even be able to conceive of what things are like from an external viewpoint, or even if there is anything external to our own universe. Who knows what dimensions we'd need to conceive of, let alone think in, or even if concepts such as dimensions - or Time, or Causality for that matter - would have any relevance or applicability whatsoever?

Even quantum, which is certainly a facet of our own reality, is by and large completely counter-intuitive and requires a phase shift in thinking. Again to quote Niels Böhr:-
Niels Böhr wrote:We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct. (Said to Wolfgang Pauli)
and...
Niels Böhr wrote:Anyone who is not shocked by quantum theory has not understood it.
If we have this much trouble getting our poor human brains around something within our own reality, what hope is there for us to begin to conceive of other realities entirely discrete and distinct from our own with the slightest degree of accuracy?

Separately, Böhr also gave a very interesting definition of physics when he said:-
Niels Böhr wrote:Physics is to be regarded not so much as the study of something a priori given, but rather as the development of methods of ordering and surveying human experience.
..."ordering and surveying human experience", experience that is de naturis forever limited by the very facts of our being human and our existence solely within our own reality. Thus in my view, we cannot help but be parochial, when confronted with the notion of the infinite - such parochialism is inextricably and inevitably bound up in who we are.

The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote: It isn't so much that reality is explicable as it is that we are really good at coming up with explanations for things we observe.
But if our explanations didn't reach some true level of reality, none of our technology would work. Quantum mechanics doesn't just predict the likelihood of where we'll measure a particle, but makes much of our electronic tech possible.
Hashi Lebwohl wrote: Why is pi the value it is? Why does e (the base of the natural logarithm, a function which is its own derivative) have the value it has? ...Why is it that rational numbers are countably infinite but both irrational and transcendental numbers are both uncountably infinite with the uncountability of transcendentals exceeding that of irrationals?
Well, I'm talking about the natural world, not numbers. However, I do think that math has an objective reality beyond our own invention. We don't set the value of pi, we discover it. But the explanation for this value is entirely contained within the derivation for it. The value of pi is what it is because a circle has this relation within its parts.

As for infinite sets, rational numbers are countably infinite because you can set them in a one-to-one relationship with natural numbers and literally count them (or begin to). Irrational numbers can't be set in this one-to-one relationship, because in between each natural number is an infinite set of irrational ones.

TheFallen, my Schrodinger's Cat finding was meant for everyone, but primarily for Mong, since he brought it up. I haven't read your longer post from yesterday yet. However, skimming it now, I'll respond to a few points. I don't believe our universe is a closed box. There are black holes, wormholes, etc. that seem to indicate it has, well, holes. Also, I think that whatever produced our universe is likely to have left its mark on it, and could even be quite like it, operating on similar principles.

However, I'm not saying that we'll eventually know everything. I think that endeavor will be infinite. But that's not the same as saying there is anything beyond our ability to know. It's like saying we could (in principle) count infinitely. There's never a point were the natural numbers will run out or become uncountable.

Now, why is there something rather than nothing? I think this is the hardest, more obscure, most mind-blowing question that can be formulated. I have no idea, and when I try to think about it, I start to feel that sense of awe that I'm even here to wonder, that there is even a place for such wondering. But I recognize that "God" is an insufficient answer, because you could ask the same of Him. "It just is" might be the answer, or perhaps "because reality spontaneously fluctuates between existence and nonexistence, just like the void is full of quantum pairs that flash into existence, and then annihilate each other." But then we'd have to explain why that happens. Like I said, it could be an infinite set of explanations.

As for the Neils Bohr quotes, I'll respond with some David Deutsch (who has a better philosophy than Bohr):
David Deutsch wrote:For decades, various versions of all that were taught as fact--vagueness, anthropocentrism, instrumentalism and all--in university physics courses. Few physicists claimed to understand it. None did, and so students' questions were met with such nonsense as "If you think you've understood quantum mechanics, then you don't." Inconsistency was defended as 'complementarity' or 'duality'; parochialism was hailed as philosophical sophistication. Thus the theory claimed to stand outside the jurisdiction of normal (i.e. all) modes of criticism--a hallmark of bad philosophy.

Its combination of vagueness, immunity from criticism, and the prestige and perceived authority of fundamental physics opened the door to countless systems of pseudo-science and quackery supposedly based on quantum theory. Its disparagement of plain criticism and reason as being 'classical', and therefore illegitimate, has given endless comfort to those who want to defy reason and embrace any number of irrational modes of thought. Thus quantum theory--the deepest discovery of the physical science--has acquired a reputation for endorsing practically every mystical and occult doctrine ever proposed.
The problem with Bohr is that he advocated not solving the problems presented by quantum mechanics, and his explanation for doing so shut down questioning and criticism of the very problems at hand. He did this by defining reality only in terms of what scientists measure. All the "crazy" stuff happens in between measurements, so he just decides to stop asking questions about those "gaps." So the moon doesn't exist when no one is looking. :roll:

That's a copout, it's not an answer. Quantum mechanics itself presents an answer to the problems, but the answer was too bizarre for Bohr (and others) to accept, so they swept it under the rug, even endorsing yet more bizarre philosophy to justify such a move. The many-worlds interpretation is the best interpretation, and there is evidence for it. But most physicists don't accept it--not because of the evidence--but because they too still cling to bad philosophy.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Zarathustra wrote:I don't believe our universe is a closed box. There are black holes, wormholes, etc. that seem to indicate it has, well, holes. Also, I think that whatever produced our universe is likely to have left its mark on it, and could even be quite like it, operating on similar principles.
I suspect that black holes, although the math says that their radius shrinks to 0, actually "leak" energy into one of those other 11 dimensions we have before getting to the 0 radius. The "door" to get there might only be 10^-10 m wide (or smaller) but once things get compressed into that small of a space they go right through. No, I can't prove it....but I am not a quantum physicist, either.
Zarathustra wrote:The problem with Bohr is that he advocated not solving the problems presented by quantum mechanics, and his explanation for doing so shut down questioning and criticism of the very problems at hand. He did this by defining reality only in terms of what scientists measure. All the "crazy" stuff happens in between measurements, so he just decides to stop asking questions about those "gaps." So the moon doesn't exist when no one is looking. :roll:

That's a copout, it's not an answer. Quantum mechanics itself presents an answer to the problems, but the answer was too bizarre for Bohr (and others) to accept, so they swept it under the rug, even endorsing yet more bizarre philosophy to justify such a move. The many-worlds interpretation is the best interpretation, and there is evidence for it. But most physicists don't accept it--not because of the evidence--but because they too still cling to bad philosophy.
Many people treat science like a religion and scientists, especially "celebrity" or "name brand" scientists as if they were high priests or prophets. If Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson came out today and said "we have proven x" when that actually isn't the case then there are many who would believe him without bothering to fact-check his statement. (He wouldn't, of course, but if he did that is what would happen.)

Return to “Coercri”