The Haruchai Topic

A place to discuss the entirety of the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

Moderators: kevinswatch, aliantha

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Did any of them get badly enough hurt in the 2nd Chrons that Linden would have been tempted to heal them? I haven't read the Chrons recently enough to remember.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

aliantha wrote:Did any of them get badly enough hurt in the 2nd Chrons that Linden would have been tempted to heal them? I haven't read the Chrons recently enough to remember.
Hmmm...I'm a little fuzzy on that myself.
But there are at least 2 hints I do recall that imply something special...though one may be more brain-special than body special.
Linden whispers to one unconscious? Comatose? "Now I'm going to break your arm" or something...and instantaneous recovery and response occur.

And Cail's recovery speed from death/near death by drowning.

[[I think...I'm not recalling either of them too precisely/clearly]]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

wayfriend wrote:
ussusimiel wrote:That leaves the healing issue. It become very important in the LCs, especially later on. Is this a new addition, or is it a development of something that was always present?
Well, I am like you, in that I thought the notion of the Haruchai healing faster than normal folk was a new notion in the Last Chronicles...

...Mind speech slipped in in a very similar way...

...Is it bothersome to anyone that this was "added" ?
No it isn't bothersome, maybe just different (while the mind speech was slipped in, it was also signalled early in Gilden-Fire and in WGW). If the healing ability is 'added' then it may be part of a pattern. The Haruchai being presented, in a way, as more 'magical', while at the same time undergoing a transformation where they are becoming more 'human'. The addition may be being used to highlight the direction the Haruchai are travelling during this transformation.

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

In The One Tree, Linden treats Ceer's injuries from the Sandgorgon. Not only is there no mention of her perceptions detecting faster healing, but the Haruchai does not balk at Linden treating him, even unto "an unguent for antisepsis and a balm for numbness".

The Master's abhorrence of medical treatment seems to be also something that is new in the third Chronicles. But this is a moral stance, and it's easy to imagine their moral stance becoming more extremist the longer that they feel their worth has not been fully tested. This doesn't take any magic to happen.

However, it's fun to speculate that, with the Haruchai, moral stance manifests as physical abilities. Which is precisely what the Vow did, in a way. So maybe their physical ability to heal quickly is a direct result of their adamant moral refusal to accept someone helping them to heal?
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

wayfriend wrote:However, it's fun to speculate that, with the Haruchai, moral stance manifests as physical abilities. Which is precisely what the Vow did, in a way. So maybe their physical ability to heal quickly is a direct result of their adamant moral refusal to accept someone helping them to heal?
That's an interesting way of looking at it, way. It would be very ironic if their moral stance somehow invoked Earthpower which then aided their healing.

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.

Return to “The Entire Chronicles”