Couldn't finish. He lost me.

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

hurtloam
Stonedownor

Post by hurtloam »

Frostheart Grueburn wrote:
hurtloam wrote: We never really get to know any of the Giants, with the possible exception of Grueburn;
And how would you describe your verdict? ;)

I inquired SRD about the lack of backstories and physical attributes. His reply about the lack of space and mainly requiring a large fighting force in the LC's did not satisfy me. All those paragraps where the names of the Giantesses become re-re-repeated could have instead been filled with small descriptions in the lines of "A grim scowl murked Bluntfist's square face, as she brushed strands of sweaty, silvery hair out of her eyes--", "Jeremiah felt a strange heat in his groin as he stared at Stonemage, slimmer and more graceful than the rest of warriors, toss off her kirtle and descend into the stream to splash around--", "Grueburn spat a string of oaths as she tugged small branches from her wild tangle of curls--", etc.

Only during TLD some individuality trickled into the troop outside Team RimeFrost: the foolhardiness of Bulk Biceps who is so butch even her arm responds to a masculine pronoun, Kindwind's darkness, and so forth. A shame this did not commence earlier.
Ugh, I confused my Swordmainnir. That says something, in itself, about how much of an impression the Giants in the LC made on me as opposed to those in the earlier series. I meant to say, with the possible exception of Rime Coldspray. I hope I got that right -- she's the leader of the group and the one who trained Exalt Widenedworld and inadvertently inflicted the wound that turned him into Lostson Longwrath. We get to know something of her in her regret as she tells the story. Otherwise, most of the Giants are interchangeable, even in their jibing one another and their dark humor.
Joy is in the ears that hear.

Return to “The Last Dark”