My hometown! College riots, shut down public event?

Archive From The 'Tank
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

sgt.null wrote:and I'd love to get a counter-crowd together to club idiots who run riot.
jesus, nullo... literally
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Ananda wrote:
sgt.null wrote:and I'd love to get a counter-crowd together to club idiots who run riot.

so you favor criminals vandalizing and destroying private and public (paid for by tax payers) property and possessions?

coddling criminals in this country seems to be a failure as a deterrent.

would you like to get out on the front lines and try giving them all a hug?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

sgt.null wrote:
Ananda wrote:

so you favor criminals vandalizing and destroying private and public (paid for by tax payers) property and possessions?

No, I'd let the police handle it rather than get a vigilante group and go club them for fun and thrills. I know some people get off on hurting others, though. There are bdsm clubs for doing that legally. You could dress up as a latex cop with a cane and roleplay out the fantasy of clubbing idiots.
:whip:
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And as fast as they can
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

I thought the left didn't trust the police?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

sgt.null wrote:I thought the left didn't trust the police?
The left? What's that?

But, it's your fantasy, not mine. And, we generally trust the police here. :D
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And as fast as they can
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

sgt.null wrote:
Ananda wrote:

I'll direct you to this thread that'll show you that we're incarcerating people at five times the rate we were in 1960, yet the crime rate is higher.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

other than legalizing weed I believe we actually need more punitive laws for sex crimes and drunk driving.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I believe cops and wannabe vigilantes should be held to the same minimum standards of the military (criminal history, aptitude testing, physical condition, etc.), including a basic Secret clearance. Alas...
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

[Syl] wrote:I believe cops and wannabe vigilantes should be held to the same minimum standards of the military (criminal history, aptitude testing, physical condition, etc.), including a basic Secret clearance. Alas...
not sure what you are talking about - sorry.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

An interesting take on the racial aspects to the story...not sure I necessarily agree with it but I can definitely see why someone might.

www.addictinginfo.org/2014/10/21/white- ... s-are-now/
White People Riot Over Pumpkins. Can We Talk About How Awful Whites Are Now?

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Just kidding! Of course we can’t have that kind of discussion now! Or ever. This is post-racial America and the only kind of riots that can be used to smear an entire race is any riot that doesn’t involve white people.

(CNN) — Tear gas and pepper spray hung in the air as police in riot gear descended on Keene, New Hampshire, on Saturday night, trying to disperse a rowdy crowd that brought chaos to the city’s 24th annual Pumpkin Festival, CNN affiliates reported.

“State and local public safety officials are on the scene and have been working closely together to defuse the situation,” Gov. Maggie Hassan said a statement. “We will continue to monitor the situation and provide any assistance necessary to Keene.”

Bonfires burned into the early hours of Sunday morning on city streets that were littered with broken beer and liquor bottles, video from CNN affiliate WMUR showed.

Go read the article at CNN. You’ll find that the word “white” doesn’t appear anywhere even though New Hampshire is 94.2% white so there is almost no chance that there were more than a handful, if any at all, of black kids involved. On the other hand, I’ll bet you a dollar that you can’t find a single article about Ferguson that doesn’t have the word “black” in it. The CNN article doesn’t even call it a riot. They call it “rowdy crowd.”

If this dynamic sounds familiar, it should:

looting new orleans

But if someone went on TV to seriously ask about the problems of white culture, they would be flamed to a crisp. Remember when the mostly white students of Penn State rioted over their beloved coach Joe Paterno being fired for allowing a pedophile to rape little boys for decades?

penn state riot

White kids with money rioted in the streets to protect a man who protected a pedophile. That was waved off as kids just letting off steam.

Blacks riot in the streets to protest decades of being terrorized by the police and that is used to condemn all of black culture.

Let’s face the facts:

The majority of serial killers in America are white.
The majority of pedophiles in America are white.
The majority of mass shooters in the world are white.
The overwhelming majority of white collar criminals are white.

If any of these statistics were true of anyone other than white people, we’d be hearing 24/7 demands for their heads on a pike.

Don’t believe me? Here’s two well-known examples:

1. Muslims are currently responsible for the majority of political/religious terrorism in the world and we’re literally at war with Muslim dominated countries for this very reason. But with the (rather large) exception of 9/11, white right wing extremists have killed more Americans than Muslim extremists. We’ve certainly had far more terrorists acts committed on US soil by white right wing extremists than Muslim extremists.

2. Homosexuals were originally believed to be the only people capable of spreading HIV and they were demonized the world over for it. And they still are even though we now know that HIV can be spread just as easily through unprotected heterosexual sex.

So we are clearly willing to marginalize a group for the actions of a relative few. But not if they’re white. It doesn’t matter what white people do. We do not blame white people. We NEVER blame white people. Individuals? Sure. White people as a whole? Not a chance in hell.

So the next time you hear someone complaining about black culture or black on black crime, ask them what we should do about white culture producing so many pedophiles and white collar criminals. Once their eyes are done bugging out of their head, count how many seconds it takes for them to call you a racist or insist that you can’t blame all white people for the actions of a few. It should take somewhere between 3-4 seconds.

Because in post-racial America, it still pays to be white.
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Yes, white people can riot, too. Especially young, drunk, college kids. It's bad, but should we really be surprised that it's not a racial issue like the Ferguson riots? The *reason* for the Ferguson riots was racial, not merely the make up of its participants. The Ferguson rioters weren't rioting because they were young, stupid, and drunk, but because they were a pissed off mob demanding mob justice. Nor did the pumpkin riots attract the attention and *sympathy* of our highest law enforcement officer who then inserted himself in the middle of the riots in order to get justice--racial justice--against the pumpkins. Not a single person sided with the white rioters. Not a single person thought they were justified in their actions or their anger (or whatever emotion they had). The white "mob" did not demand that an innocent man (until proven guilty) be found guilty prior to the evidence, merely because of the race of the man they were rioting against. And the white rioters did not come out en masse to support a known criminal and would-be cop killer, merely because he was their skin color.

It's a silly comparison that intentionally ignores the crucial differences that makes one issue racial, and the other not. The people of Ferguson made their riot racial, not us. They were the ones holding signs that said, "Black lives matter, too."
Last edited by Zarathustra on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Morning
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Morning »

As these matters tend to drift, everyone is one step shy of urimancy.
Ardet nec Consumitur.
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Zarathustra wrote:the pumpkin riots
That made me laugh. Nicely named!

You can imagine an old lady telling her grandson, 'Way back in the times of the pumpkin riots ...'
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And as fast as they can
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

Zarathustra wrote:Yes, white people can riot, too. Especially young, drunk, college kids. It's bad, but should we really be surprised that it's not a racial issue like the Ferguson riots? The *reason* for the Ferguson riots was racial, not merely the make up of its participants. The Ferguson rioters weren't rioting because they were young, stupid, and drunk, but because they were a pissed off mob demanding mob justice. Nor did the pumpkin riots attract the attention and *sympathy* of our highest law enforcement officer who then inserted himself in the middle of the riots in order to get justice--racial justice--against the pumpkins. Not a single person sided with the white rioters. Not a single person thought they were justified in their actions or their anger (or whatever emotion they had). The white "mob" did not demand that an innocent man (until proven guilty) be found guilty prior to the evidence, merely because of the race of the man they were rioting against. And the white rioters did not come out en masse to support a known criminal and would-be cop killer, merely because he was their skin color.

It's a silly comparison that intentionally ignores the crucial differences that makes one issue racial, and the other not. The people of Ferguson made their riot racial, not us. They were the ones holding signs that said, "Black lives matter, too."
Well said. I could not quite formulate this on my own.
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Zarathustra wrote:Yes, white people can riot, too.

Exactly. Everybody riots. Always have and always will, for a variety of reasons both lamentable and understandable. What people are pointing out here, however, is the different attitude displayed toward the rioters, not the attitudes of the rioters themselves.

Every year (I'd hazard to say more than that), some team wins (or loses) the Stanley Cup, World Series, World Cup, or—what, a pumpkin contest of some sort?—and it's just 'Oh, those people are stupid (law of averages be damned)' or maybe bad security or some confluence of events is blamed. You don't often hear people saying maybe we should critically examine our sports culture, when something so fucking pointless and arbitrary as a game score can make large numbers of people lose their shit. That's capitalism, baby.

But if people get upset about social injustice, perceived or otherwise... privileged proboscises aim themselves heavenward en masse. Next thing you know, we're talking about gangsta-ism, entitlement, and victimhood.

Now me, I'm not saying anybody's right to riot (as pointless as trying to ascribe right or wrong to an influenza outbreak, if you ask me). In fact, I'm saying that whatever reason somebody gives for a riot, they're probably wrong. It's just an excuse. Riots are society's pressure valve or Zener diode. In the words of one of the greatest sociological thinkers of this era:
They said it was for the black man
They said it was for the Mexican
And not for the white man
But if you look at the streets, it wasn't about Rodney King
It's this fucked-up situation and these fucked-up police
It's about comin' up and stayin' on top
And screamin' 187 on a mother fuckin' cop
It's not in the papers it's on the wall
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Syl, I think everyone on both sides made a big deal out of the Ferguson riots, and not merely the critics of black culture. The President sent several representatives of the White House to Brown's funeral. Our Attorney General got involved in both a personal and professional way. There were even black members of Congress weighing in as if Wilson had already been proven guilty. From the beginning, this was supposed to be viewed as an indictment of white cops. Even Holder framed it that way. Yes, I'm sure many people used it as an excuse to criticize blacks for their lawlessness, but the issue was about law and race from the beginning. We didn't make it that way.

I'm about as anti-sports as you can get (as a spectator business, not as a physical activity). I went to University of Kentucky, but never went to the games. Around here, that's basketball heresy. I've seen a couple riots in my own town, and it's shameful. I can't relate or empathize at all (unlike people did for the rioters in Ferguson). But there are times when a crowd "just happens to be white," in which the reasons for their riot have nothing to do with race, and other times when a crowd is black specifically because THEY are taking a single incident and extrapolating it to all of THEMSELVES. They are the ones guilty of over-generalization, in this case. They are identifying themselves with Brown, and telling their children that they should fear being killed by white cops. That kind of scare-mongering and rhetorical attack upon whites tends to frame things in racial terms. Everything after that was in reaction to their outrage and their charges (all of which were mythical and hysterical, it turns out).
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.

Return to “Coercri”