A Wilder Rose

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

A Wilder Rose

Post by Rigel »

Anybody read this yet? It's a fictional first-person narrative of the writing of the "Little House" books, as told by Laura Ingalls Wilder's daughter Rose Wilder Lane. I'm about 85% of the way through, and interested in other peoples' thoughts.

I'm struck by the emotional impact of many of the events, contrasted with the prosaic writing style. It's very straightforward and non-descript. So many times throughout this book, I'm hit with the urge to exclaim "Hell and blood!" But the characters... they don't really exclaim anything.

Not really sure if it's the author's (Susan Wittig Albert... wait, why does EVERYONE have three names?) own writing style, or if that's Rose's voice that she's trying to imitate. If it's Albert's, I doubt I'll read another of hers, as I'm a fan of emotional depth. If it's Rose's, and Albert is just really good at writing other peoples' voices, then I could give more of her work a try.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

This sounds interesting... I know I probably won't get to it, but, interesting to know it exists.
rigel wrote:It's very straightforward and non-descript. So many times throughout this book, I'm hit with the urge to exclaim "Hell and blood!" But the characters... they don't really exclaim anything.
I could imagine that.

Return to “General Literature Discussion”