Was Shakespeare a fraud?

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

Do you believe Shakespeare was a fraud?

Yes
23%
No
64%
Don't know
14%

Total votes: 22

Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

You missed a book in your initial post - "Much ADO about Noting" by John Casson (available on Amazon - only one copy left!). John Casson is convinced that Sir Henry Neville wrote the Shakespeare plays.

I have a copy because he gave me one. JC found handwritten copies of Leicester's Commonwealth, copied secretly by Sir Henry Neville [Ref: Worsley MSS 36, 47 and 40) at Lincolnshire Archives, and I got involved as he was having trouble reading the 16th century handwriting and I can read it. I gave him quite a bit of help with that and he actually mentioned me in the acknowledgements for helping him read the annotations and for transcribing a letter of 1601 for him. He thinks that Leicester's Commonwealth was a source for Shakespeare's plays. I was more than a bit annoyed at his insistence on interpreting "in" as "ni" just because the dot above the i was over to the right of it, which it often is, as I explained to him several times!!

A comment made by Sir Derek Jacobi supporting John Casson appears on the back cover.

I see that he's since written another book on the same subject with someone else. "Sir Henry Neville, Alias William Shakespeare: Authorship Evidence in the History Plays" published in January this year.

I'm not saying I support this theory, just throwing another contender into the ring.
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Whoever Shakespeare was, it appears that he wrote at least one more [or several that were aggregated into one].

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/04/150409120259.htm

And, though it's not the topic/point of the article, I'd say it would seem reasonable that they could use this approach to compare to other alternative authors peeps have suggested. It might not prove it was Will---but it should show who wasn't him.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

At the end of the day Shakespeare was the man who wrote the plays. He might have been the Earl of Oxford, he might have been Christopher Marlowe or he might have been Francis Bacon - or he might have been the son of a 'glover' from Stratford; but irrespective of that, he was first and foremost the man who created those worderfull, funny, tragic, deep and wise works that we know today as the Shakespearian Cannon.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

peter (USSM) wrote:At the end of the day Shakespeare was the man who wrote the plays. He might have been the Earl of Oxford...
Nope, never, I refuse.

Mainly because Anonymous was such a terrible movie ;)
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

:lol: Never seen it, and on that recomendation I guess I never will.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “General Literature Discussion”