Restaurant Reviews.

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Restaurant Reviews.

Post by peter »

Haven't seen a thread here where we can reccomend places where we know a good meal is to be had, or where we can just sing the praises of establishments that 'hit the spot' just right for us.

Ok here goes.

Just come back from a few days in London and went to two fine dinning restaurants for lunch while there.

The first, The Square in Mayfair, was a rarified space of civility and decorum. Top end staff who were attentive and helpfull from start to finish. I had a six course set lunch tasting menue with wine pairings, and a glass of champagne to start for which the cost was around £140 {including coffe and petit fours}; Wifey was there as well so double this figure for two of us. The food was really good as would be expected in a michellin star establishment - but the star of the show was the wines. Six of the most unusual but appropriate glasses that I have ever tasted [and I've drunk waaay to much wine in my time :P ]. Well worth a visit for the food - but with these wines, almost a must!

Second we come to The Ledbury, Notting Hill. Rated tenth best restaurant in the world by San Pellegrino you have high expectations from the start, but nothing - nothing - can prepare you for the explosion of taste and artistry that these guys can deliver. This is your eyes and tastebuds treated to a Monet and Motzart level of food preparation. I had again champagne and a set lunch menue [we could only get a one and three-quater hour slot so this four course 'set-piece' fitted the bill perfectly] with an accompanying wine-flight and coffe with petit fours. This lot was an amazing £238 quid for the two of us and before you do bacward somersaults at the price, consider that to eat in Ducasse's Plaza Athené in Paris for lunch would cost you £1000! London is fantasic for eating the best food the world produces at a cost that sure, while high is still doable.

You eat three meals a day for the whole of your life [if you're lucky]. To be served the best experience of your gustatory life is worh springing a shilling for.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

The Sundial in Atlanta. Plan to spend money and lots of it. However the experience is well worth the money. the Sundial is at the top of the Westin Peachtree plaza.

It starts with an elevator ride up the side of the hotel. You are standing in a clear tube so you can see out as you head to the top. The top is at 723 feet and you overlook Atlanta. You are seated in a round room with a clear view all around of Atlanta. As you sit, the top moves, not so fast that you get motion sick, but enough that you can tell its moving by the view changing. Typically by the time the meal is over, you have gone the full 360 degrees. Its an upscale place so dress up and plan to have an outstanding meal and an outstanding experience from the waitstaff. Very good wine selection (again not cheap). My wife and I spent a little over 200US dollars there with wine, appetizers, food, desert, and the tip.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

There are plenty of upmarket chinese places in London, including a michellin starred establiushment, but I recomend a grubby little joint called 'Oversea Chinese Restaurant' in Gerrard St. [London's 'chinatown' in the heart of the west-end]. For £50 two people will get stuffed to the gills with some really nice tasting [in that MSG/soy chinese way] grub including the [ubiquitous] chinese roast duck pancakes and some of the best butterflied prawns I have ever eaten. You'll even get a glass of wine thrown in. As long as you can stand the unidentifiable 'things' [all red and tentaclly] hanging in the widow, you'll be ready to hit the Shaftsbury Av theatres [about 1 minutes walk away] and sleep through till the second half [when all the good stuff in Les Mis happens anyway ;) ].
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “The Galley”