The Last Pun

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

lurch
The Gap Into Spam

The Last Pun

Post by lurch »

" Helped by Bluntfist and Furledsail, Cirrus Kindwind bore Jeremiah around the rim of the pit; a narrow path." ....What do you call that? ..a pun?..bore, around,,rim and I suppose , pit,,all linked by a common " circular" nature. a narrow path,,indeed. World goes round in circles, like a bird up in the sky..except there is no association,,as in,," like" or," as if" as required for a simile . Verb, nouns, connected by the spherical...TLD has more of this kind of " Word Play". Actually, TCoTC is sprinkled with word smithy like this example and I am not aware of what , if there is even,,what it is called; a label any body? Its not quite a metaphor..maybe a metathree..or a deltaphor..
Howabout a...

..." fish" in tribute to creating a reality ,perhaps a new grammatical reality, where combinations of verbs, nouns, adjectives, adverbs in a clause or sentence create a reality that is different from first perceived but still supports the original intent..simile without the associative, where " like" or " as if" is absent but has to be discovered and then assumed..Any English major/teachers able to help on this one?

...perhaps...a " Surrealism " or Surreal Clause...a..SurrealBomb...

or..a " When You See It.."

or a.." Magnitive"...where the clause or sentence is held together by unseen forces...

I am sure there are more . Any body else spot any these unassociated associations?
This thread is here for when you do..
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

What you point to here is very subtle. I totally see what you mean, but the language play is slight yet noticeable.

As for what to call such a thing, that is a great wondering... I may not be an English major, but I'm sure an English teacher (well, currently), and I love to fiddle with words...so let's see...

'Metafish' came to mind as I read your post; 'verbaphor'?; I like 'magnitive'...how about a 'magnetic clause,' or perhaps a 'concentric clause'...

Any other ideas?
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser

Return to “The Last Dark”