The NEW

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

lurch
The Gap Into Spam

The NEW

Post by lurch »

This finale of TCoTC has plenty of redux. For some, that creates a problem for the want of all perceived loose ends to be tied up, resolved. But as a finale the challenge of keeping it fresh ,,while dealing with all the return of characters and issues, can complicate and add to the tasks of tied up .

I am made quite entertained by what the author has done in TLD as to NEW. Sure, Lord Foul's body guard henchmen, the Boulder Busters , at the end, racked nerves to yet a further " GAK!". The Worm became Real and physical, tangible, with Jeremiah not letting us forget it. We actually " see" a Kastenessen. The actual resolutions can be seen as New. I am not the only one who didn't see most of the Twists and Turns delivering us to resolution. And I'm sure I haven't mentioned other New characters or things..like we actually got inside of the wrightwarrens, traversed thru the ur-viles " town".

But Wait, Theres More!..There is New in the Way the author tells the story. The author begins TLD,,with a metaphor..and at that, a coy metaphor. Thru-out TLD the author brings that metaphor to the surface, front and center...and ends the book and the Tale in metaphor. The concept of " End" becomes non sequitor with so much metaphor. ..Yes, metaphor is a personal perspective. Even agreeing that a line or paragraph is a metaphor, doesn't mean any two readers see the metaphor the same way. Thats the whole point of the...the message is in the metaphor..perspective. Yes, we can all see a metaphor a different way and thats good. It brings the concept of " end" closer to
infinity. I guess thats the trick..when exploring the infinite,,NEW is constant.
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

I agree. The very character of the Ardent reflected this adherence to the concept of novelty. For him it was that which is singular and unique, and that's another way of saying novel or new.

I mentioned this in another thread, but the new Giants we get, specifically their names (since we have such a short time to get to know them), are gems. I especially loved meeting Far Horizoneyes, reading that name, while they were climbing up the gut rock of Mt. Thunder. Being given that name at that point in the story felt like an emotional treasure berry, some kind of cathartic ailantha. Newness, freshness, novelty: origin, ever-present.
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser

Return to “The Last Dark”