DT3: The Wastelands

The Dark Tower and other works of Stephen King.

Moderator: lucimay

Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

DT3: The Wastelands

Post by Zarathustra »

It seems that 100-200 pages in is the sweet spot for forming my first impressions, collecting my thoughts enough to have something to say. It has just dawned on me that this series--especially this book--has a distinct "Lost vibe" going on. I suppose it was really apparent once Roland and Co. found the portal or whatever that the bear was guarding, where the Beam began. In the middle of a forest on an alien world, this technological wonder stands out like a hatch on a mysterious island.

I remember a book club meeting on Lost where Juliette was reading some Stephen King, but I forgot which book it was. Anyway, it's clear that the writers of that show derived some inspiration from this series.

The effects of Roland saving Jake's life in DT2--creating the temporal paradox--is pretty cool. It gives both of those characters an interesting psychic dilemma as they struggle with dual memories and cling to their sanity.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

This book is one of my favourites. We really start seeing the mash-up of realities that is Roland's world.

--A
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Avatar wrote:This book is one of my favourites. We really start seeing the mash-up of realities that is Roland's world.

--A
yep it's definitely my favorite in the series.
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

After finishing this one, I can't say it's my favorite. It's quite good, but I liked the character development more in the 2nd book. In terms of structure, character, and pace, I thought the 2nd was superior.

However, I did like seeing more of Roland's "moved on" world. No more deserts and beaches, this time we get an actual city. That was cool. Blaine was fun. But all the action was merely mediocre. I like action/plot that develops the characters, which brings me to my favorite part.

The best part of this book--by far--was the first half depicting Jake's struggle to get back to Roland's world. [Again: very much like Lost, especially season 5 where they have to go back to the island and find a "magical" way to do it.] The part where poor little Jake is losing his mind in the middle of his mundane life was the most gripping. His essay for English, his interaction with his parents, his journeys through New York leading up to the abandoned lot where he sees the rose ... that was some top-notch story telling. And the parallel struggle on Roland's side with the key and the door made it a group effort where everyone had a role to play (though Detta fucking a demon was the low point ... "Hey big boy! Where you goan? D'pussy be ovah heah!" Actual quote. :roll: ). The climax (heh) for this part of the story was much better than the actual end of the book. It was magical.

I've started the next book, and the writing immediately seems better. I think my sense that King got better in the 90s (1997 for DT4: W&G) is proving to be correct. But I'm only a few pages in, so we'll have to see.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

W&G is phenomenal. Easily my favorite King book.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

If I had to pick 1 DT book, W&G would be it.

--A

Return to “Stephen King Forum”