Football

Baseball, Basketball, Footbal, Soccer, Curling, Poker, ect...

Moderators: Lord Mhoram, StevieG, hierachy

Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Saints are certainly the most likely to go down of the four relegation-threatened teams, but they'll be acutely aware that they are fighting for their lives so anything can happen on the last day. Plus Southampton have a relatively favourable record against Man U.

Stockport rounded out their most miserable season in living memory in characteristic fashion, defending solidly until the last five minutes at which point they conceded three. With the club now owned by the fans it's far from clear whether Chris Turner will have the funds available to stop them from dropping out of the football league altogether.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

Chelsea 3 - 1 Man U

Chelsea next season will not be stopped. With the players they have plus the new ones they will buy, I can see them winning everything.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Well done West Brom. I thought it would be either Norwich or Palace who survived, but they proved me wrong (especially Norwich). It's been the first time in years that all three relegated teams can feel genuinely hard done by.
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

Saints went down :(
They will come back up.
Liverpool from the Champions League.
Arsenal for the FA Cup.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Chris Turner wrote:My current goal at Stockport County is to get back in the Championship in four years. That gives us on or two years of consolidation in League One before we make our attack for promotion to the Championship.
ImageImage ImageImage
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Celtic is 2 points ahead of the Rangers, last game coming up Sunday. This is going to be a nailbiter. I'll be in Alexandria watching the Celtic match.

I'd love to see both teams move into the EPL. I think that would benefit both leagues.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

I told you! I told you that Rangers were going to win the SPL and what a way to win it. It looked like Celtic were going to take it but then it all changed.
Not only that but Arsenal had a great game with Man U. Arsenal won 5-4 with pens.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Real kick in the teeth about Celtic. Good call (albeit lucky) Queeaqueg.

The Arsenal/Man U game was awesome.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

I'm glad Man U lost... I don't like Man U...
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Khan wrote:I'm glad Man U lost... I don't like Man U...
neither do i.
and Inverness finished eighth! :D

No relegation for us :D
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

Liverpool play AC Milan tomorrow. I think Liverpool will win because tey have Gerrard, Cisse, Baros, Alonso and Carragher. AC Milan ae weak at the back but they have quite good attack front.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Neither team is particularly strong at the back, but Milan's back four are noticably long in the tooth. Cisse's pace might trouble them (and I bet they wish they still had Owen), and you never know what to expect from Baros. He'll either have a stormer of a game and score two or three, play like dogmess but score one with his arse, or just look out of sorts and fall over a lot. Liverpool's defence is more spritely but hasn't been particularly impressive in domestic competition, and in Schevckenko, Inzaghi and Crespo, Milan clearly have the better forwards.

If Liverpool can dominate in midfield then I think they'll win it. Gattuso could cause problems though, given his work-rate and tenacity. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he ends up injuring Gerrard either.
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

(and I bet they wish they still had Owen),
i bet he wishes he hadnt left. :D

Gattuso has got to be watched carefully if Liverpool wanna win.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

Liverpool are Champions League winners. They were 3 - 0 at half-time but then they pulled back three goals in the second half. Then they won 3 - 2 on penalties. Liverpool goals was great and so was Gerrard, Carragher, Alonso and Cisse.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Wow, I think that was the best final I've ever seen. He isn't the most consistent keeper around, but Jerzy Dudek played out of his skin in the second half. That double save in extra time was incredible and he did very well to save the two penalties.

Well done Liverpool, now lets wait and see if UEFA let them defend their title. I reckon they'll change their mind and take one place out of the qualifying rounds. Sepp Blatter thinks that the tournament would be weaker if the holders aren't in it, and what he says usually goes.
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Wow, great Final. I never would have thought they could come back from 3-0 down.
I am so glad it was an exciting final some of the otheres ive watched have been dull.

Congratulations Liverpool.

Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

Only four teams can enter the Champions League. If Liverpool are given a spot that means one team has to go. Everton. I know Everton are the best team in the world nor do they have any really chance of winning this cup because their team is not ready but they have worked hard (or just been lucky) to get to 4th spot.

P.S. This topic should be a sticky
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Well, UEFA say that England can't have another CL spot but I don't see them taking it from Everton when they can just have all the teams in the qualifying rounds playing for one less place.

The TV rights for the Champions League come to around £1million per group game, I don't see Everton being denied the opportunity altogether.
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

How many Clubs can each nation put in? I know it is:
4 - England, 4 - Spain, 4 - Italy, 4 - Germany, 4 - Portugal, 3 - France, 2 - Holland, 2 - Scotland, etc Thats all I know (some usless facts there).
The TNS Chairman said that Liverpool can have their spot.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

That was an absolutely fantastic match. It amazes me that people call this sport boring.

Return to “Sports”