Led Zeppelin, the greatest band in history?

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

What's your favorite Zeppelin song?

Stairway to Heaven
13%
Over the Hills and Far Away
3%
Immigrant Song
12%
Black Dog
3%
Kashmir
15%
Kashmir
15%
Houses of the Holy
8%
"How could you forget...?"
30%

Total votes: 60

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I've watched every clip I could find, and I'm just blown away.

I really hope they tour.

I really hope they release this sucker on DVD.

It's about damn time.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

i'm probably the last person to find this but i thought it was hilarious!!
damn thing gets stuck in your head!!! :biggrin:

Stairway to Heaven - The Beatnix
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

The thing I love about that song (stairway), the words just work so well physically and phonetically. They pop so wonderfully off the tongue, like good poetry can. Only a few bands write lyrics *that* good, and it's spectacular when it works. I *adore* all of Sinfield's lyrics on "In the Court of the Crimson King" and his work with Emerson Lake and Palmer. Karn Evil being a great example. (Soon the gypsy queen in a glaze of Vaseline, will perform on guillotine, what a scene, what a scene; what does it mean? I have no clue, but it sounds *great*)

Say this out loud and you will see what I mean. (Or sing it! It's a lot of fun)

The rusted chains of prison moons
Are shattered by the sun.
I walk a road, horizons change
The tournaments begun.
The purple piper plays his tune,
The choir softly sing;
Three lullabies in an ancient tongue,
For the court of the crimson king.

The keeper of the city keys
Put shutters on the dreams.
I wait outside the pilgrims door
With insufficient schemes.
The black queen chants
The funeral march,
The cracked brass bells will ring;
To summon back the fire witch
To the court of the crimson king.

The gardener plants an evergreen
Whilst trampling on a flower.
I chase the wind of a prism ship
To taste the sweet and sour.
The pattern juggler lifts his hand;
The orchestra begin.
As slowly turns the grinding wheel
In the court of the crimson king.

On soft gray mornings widows cry
The wise men share a joke;
I run to grasp divining signs
To satisfy the hoax.
The yellow jester does not play
But gentle pulls the strings
And smiles as the puppets dance
In the court of the crimson king.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

There's a new boxed set being released, and a couple of new books. I thought since I came across it that someone might think its interesting.

Led Zeppelin first took flight 40 years ago this summer. And while the song may remain the same, Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, and John Bonham forever changed rock 'n' roll. To celebrate the band's anniversary and its immeasurable influence on popular music and culture, Atlantic Records/Rhino Entertainment will release a limited edition CD boxed set. This Japanese import contains all 10 of the quartet's albums in mini-LP replicas with artwork from the original U.K. LP sleeves. [link]

In this extensive collection of interviews, band memorabilia and photographs, longtime MinneapolisStar Tribune music critic Bream assembles the ultimate guide to the infamous rock group Led Zeppelin. [link]

Weaving together essential, informative features written about LED ZEPPELIN during its original 1968-1980 heyday with rare visuals, this unique book lets Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and the late John Bonham tell their own riveting, sequential story. [link]
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Yet another incomplete compilation (it's missing the "bonus" tracks from the prior boxed sets, and the new songs included on the remastered TSRtS).

Love the band, f*cking hate that they won't release things in a fan-friendly way.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Rhino does produce the best reissues, though. Their deluxe editions are always actually deluxe unlike other record companies'.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

So I've heard. All I'm saying is that I'd have no issue plunking down major coin for a definitive remastered collection of their songs.

This isn't it.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I haven't researched this yet, but I would be a bit chary (to use a Donaldsonism) when it comes to spending a lot of money on remasters. People automatically think they are going to sound better because of new technology, but the trend in modern recording is to record way too loud, which introduces "clipping" of the peaks, which produces digital distortion. Many modern recordings have been ruined in this attempt to make a CD the loudest on the radio. Even one of Rush's recent CDs (Vapor Trails).

But that's recording, mixing, mastering. When it comes to remastering, the trend lately has been to simply redo the equalization, boosting the highs so that people who don't listen critically think they are hearing increased clarity, when all they are really hearing is harsh, abrasive, unnaturally emphasized high frequencies.

Zepplin has a great track record for re-releasing material with fantastic audio. So perhaps they haven't fallen prey to the latest, sad trends. But I would absolutely research this at an audiophile site before spending a lot of money on it.

A site like this: www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/

Many audiophiles prefer the original CDs to recent remasters.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

No doubt. You want to hear some great remasters? Get the Judas Priest discs. Jon "Jane's Getting Serious" Astley did the remastering, and they sound phenomenal.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

After reading on the Steve Hoffman site here, I found these posts:
No, it's the same one. We've already compared the pics and the specs, etc., in another thread. It looks like Rhino is just importing 2000 copies of the Japanese set and reselling them here. Plus, the only difference between these and the 1993 Complete Studio Recordings box is the packaging and the inclusion of the remastered The Song Remains The Same. The rest is all from the same George Marino masters. Yes, they're on SHM-CD but the source was still old 16/44.1 digital copies of the master tapes using early 80's Sony technology.
Forum member SimonsSaysCake posted a waveform comparison of Living Loving Maid from 90's remasters with the new 2008 box set. As reported before, it seems to be the same source just slightly louder with more peaks chopped off. Too bad. The comparison is posted here.
But here's a glowing review from an amazon.com reviewer:
This is what someone on amazon.com had to say about this release:

The Best Zep Yet...., September 16, 2008
By Richard R. Byers "Oddeophile" (California, USA) - See all my reviews

OK, so you thought you already owned Zep and had the best, if they ever do remaster and remix the whole shootin' match like Jimmy Page did for the Mothership set. Since there are as many reviews that pan the Mothership set as there are the love it, it seems to me that it is not the universal Zep panacea one would have thought. To me, it is "in your face", mixed/mastered at way too high a gain level that clips off dynamic expansion critical to rock and roll, and hides the small nuances of the recordings. You may love that. Fair enough. Then enjoy.

Having owned the 1993 complete studio recordings box set and the remix from that, I felt I had probably owned the best sounding versions on CD. That is, until I purchased a few of the 2005 Japanese mini LP releases from the Japan remasters in 2003. The 2003 masters were taken from the 1993 mixes, so they are not new mixes. However, the 2003 masters, as pressed in 2005, sounded more full, sweeter, cleaner and, well, more involving. Same mix from 1993, just a better mastered pressing, plus the venerable Japan perfection in their pressing plants. Lower jitter, finely milled edges to the discs, etc. Nice. Plus, having the mini LP style jackets - based off the USA original releases, was very fine, indeed.

Along comes an all new, completely redone box for 2008. Using the same 1993 mixes with the 2003 Japan masters, the discs have been pressed in the SHM CD format which is NOT available in the USA on USA pressed discs. These are only available from Japan pressings and boy are they some of the best sounding CD's I own in my vast collection. Very nice, indeed.

The SHM pressings allow for a much cleaner, and very dynamic performance to come through. Plant's vocals are nice and focused, more up front and "there". Impressive, since they are the same 1993 mixes and masters used prior. So, the SHM pressings allow for a much more involving Zep experience. Simply the Sin Quo Non right now on CD for Zep.

If you want the best Zep on CD, this is it. Expensive, to say the least (I bought mine from CD Japan direct and it was $286 including EMS shipping from Japan).

The box is simply superbly produced, as are the mini LP jackets, this time based on the UK original pressings and releases along with th UK reproductions of the center labels from the records. Marvelous. Extra bonuses include additional jackets, alternate jackets, etc. from a two of the original albums.

There is nothing like this produced in the USA.

For those who are Zep fans and keep waiting for Page, etal, to remix/master the catalog again, it is not worth waiting for. To be honest, if they mix it like they did Mothership, that is simply not Zep the way I want to hear it. Maybe you do and that is fine. Your ears are your ears.

But, for me, this is the ultimate Zep possible in redbook CD digital. If you have an upsampling DAC or player, look out. You are in for a real treat.

Enjoy.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Because, you know, you haven't seen everything until you've seen this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYuOZnAqQCY
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

wayfriend wrote:Because, you know, you haven't seen everything until you've seen this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYuOZnAqQCY
Thats AWESOME!! Thanks for sharing that!
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

As much as I was blown away by Stairway when I first heard it and how great I find it now, there is one song that always topped it for me.

When the Levee Breaks
~I was born to rock the boat. Some will sink but we will float. Grab your coat. Let's get out of here. You're my witness. I'm your Mutineer~ - Warren Zevon
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Endymion9 wrote:When the Levee Breaks
Uh huh. I like when LZ does blues. (Why is it that the older you get the more you appreciate blues music?) But Since I've Been Lovin' You will always be my all-time favorite.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Endymion9 wrote:
When the Levee Breaks
I can never get enough of that song.
Somewhere there is a "perfect album" thread...
if there were one for songs, that would be on my list.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

Vraith wrote:
Endymion9 wrote:
When the Levee Breaks
I can never get enough of that song.
Somewhere there is a "perfect album" thread...
if there were one for songs, that would be on my list.
That, Kashmir, and Ramble on
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

"In the Light", "Kashmir", and "Achilles Last Stand".

Yeah, I do love a lot of the stuff on the 1st album, but those three songs are just the best they ever did.
michaelm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by michaelm »

Quite a few that stand out for me that might not be among the favorites that most people usually say stand out. Picking one from each album:

Good Times Bad Times
What is and What Should Never Be
Immigrant Song
The Battle of Evermore
The Rain Song
In the Light
Nobody's Fault But Mine
Hot Dog

(Ignoring live albums and post breakup albums)
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

One from each album (and I'll include TSRtS and Coda)?

Good Times, Bad Times
Bring it on Home
Out on the Tiles
When the Levee Breaks
The Ocean
Celebration Day
In the Light
Achilles Last Stand
Carouselambra
Wearing & Tearing
michaelm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by michaelm »

I didn't ever buy Coda and don't know it well, but if I had to pick a stand out track from TSRTS I think I would pick The Rain Song (with No Quarter coming a very close second)

Return to “Vespers”