New game ideas

Forum-based role-playing games

Moderators: Xar, Goatkiller666

Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

The sister had a dark secret though....

*whispers*They wore their underwear inside out to get extra wear between washes....
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Goatkiller666 wrote: And on the other hand, from what I read in the Borderland threads, which I'm sure was only the tip of the iceberg, the Sisters weren't that psycho, were they? They seemed to be somewhat more reasonable than many of the other factions, anyway.
It won't spoil anything because their true nature was exposed and the Sisters were hunted to extinction but - they used their story of offering aid to the weak as cover for abducting lone men, killing them and drinking their blood. They have now become something of a camp fire ghost story, assumed to be still out there, stealing in under the darkness and murdering the unwary.

And, Menolly - you don't have to play a cultist, you know?
Last edited by Montresor on Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Dorian wrote:The sister had a dark secret though....
They did? ;)
Dorian wrote:*whispers*They wore their underwear inside out to get extra wear between washes....
hee hee hee! :thumbsup:
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Goatkiller666 wrote:'Cause, especially now that I'm working on this Halloween costume, I'm really thinking that the Sanctus Spiritus is where my character will be. And I'm either going to have to pester the hell out of Lore to make sure I'm not defiling his image, or... just do stuff on my own, and defile his image.
Given the huge amount of respect I have for you roleplaying skills, I would have no problem with you playing a member. In fact, I strongly recommend it.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Awww.... you're gonna make me blush.

(But mostly I'm just putting another post here ASAP, so you can't come back and delete this later. Wait... you could EDIT your post... lemme just quote it all here now, in case you change your mind.)
Loremaster wrote:Given the huge amount of respect I have for you roleplaying skills, I would have no problem with you playing a member. In fact, I strongly recommend it.
That, and I'll want to save that "huge respect" bit for later. People will probably be asking me at work why I'm smiling so much. "You wouldn't understand... this guy said something really... no, nevermind... it's personal..."

It's a good thing I'm already officially gay, or people might think I was gay.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Goatkiller666 wrote:That, and I'll want to save that "huge respect" bit for later. People will probably be asking me at work why I'm smiling so much. "You wouldn't understand... this guy said something really... no, nevermind... it's personal..."

It's a good thing I'm already officially gay, or people might think I was gay.
*smiling softly to self*

awwww...

Now, back to game talk, youse guys! ;)
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Damn it, Pam. Can't I have ANYTHING nice without you having to interject yourself into it? You don't need to direct the conversation, or protect people from my cooties.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

hehehehehe...

Oh, I should also add...

Hey Seven, you did good in dragging goat, et. al., to GT! ;)
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

I hate to break up this touching moment :P , but I have a serious proposition to put to potential players. I'll need feedback from everyone who wants to play Borderlands.

Basically, working on Borderlands in some of my free time has made me aware of just what a daunting task it is to turn the strat game into an RPG. It is certainly not insurmountable, and it could actually be done tomorrow (though the game would be shit). However, I am of the philosophy that, if I run the game, I want to run it properly. This includes such things as not only settlement, cult, people, place details etc; but also equipment, careers, economic patterns etc etc.

I have considered that the best way to do this would be to initially only detail places found in I-1-7 to Y-1-7, only alluding to the rest for background (it is a large swathe of land, after, probably taking a few weeks to travel across). The remainder would be added in gradually as the game progresses and I get the time. Even in this small section, however, there are at least five major settlements to detail, each with their own locations, people, economies etc. To do the game properly will require some effort.

There are a few ways around this - one, scrap the concept and either do something else, or redo Borderlands as a more streamlined strategy game; two, release a very small section to start with with only three major locations detailed (and some in that I-Y area given brief blurbs) - this hamstrings the player's starting options a little, alas; three, I could work on the game very gradually over the course of a year and release it only when I feel it is completely playable.

If I went for option three (or, indeed, the 'scrap it' option), I could always run a different game while slowly preparing Borderlands. WFRP would be the easiest, however VoB has a renaissance style setting and I wouldn't want any unintentional overlap...there are also a number of fantasy-themed games in GT, so I think a science-fiction game would present something a little more 'novel'. With that in mind, I have given some thought as to running either Dark Heresy or Rogue Trader (both 40k RPGs, not Nicholas Leeson simulators) on this forum. This would require little work from me and, eventually, would enable Loremaster to do some GMing in there of his own (as he has both systems), and maybe take over when/if I start Borderlands.

I'd like honest feedback from those who want to play Borderlands about how they feel about what I just wrote. It would be greatly appreciated if people could expand their own thoughts on this, rather than just a generic "I'm easy" :)
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

Im ea...

In all seriousness I would MUCH rather play Borderlands as an RPG than a strategy game. I have always preferred RPGs to Strat games, thus my embrace of Vampire and VoB over the likes of Pantheon. And I would rather wait to play Borderlands than not play it at all, so scrap option one.

The character idea I have for borderlands is flexible enough that having limited starting locations does not worry me in the slightest. Im fairly certain that at least most of the players could come up with a character concept that doesn't require a certain area or whatever to work. But of course then you are limiting the depth of the game.

I would be more than happy to play another RPG while you put your effort into your game to make it ideal as well. So really I'm happy with either option 2 or 3, but can see how 2 can be limiting to others.

In saying that, as someone who has played with you a lot over the years, I notice a difference between the game you run/play that you are really happy with to games that you are not so happy with. So I would only want to partake in borderlands once you feel it is ready to run, so if time is what you need then roll me up a 40k character :P
Stone Magnet
Giantfriend

Post by Stone Magnet »

^ I'm in the same camp. Would much prefer an RPG over a strat game (mainly because i'm unfamiliar with text based online strategy games), but thats just me. I'm sure previous Borderlands players might feel different. I definately don't think you should scrap the idea!

As this conversation started with Lore suggesting a WH40k RPG, I would be perfectly happy with playing that while you work on the Borderlands RPG.

I also think that if you started it early with less areas (re option 2) while still in the middle of PhD hell, you might run into more time problems than you predicted and might not be happy with the result. Better to give it the time it needs and not rush it.

I don't mind waiting a while, especially if theres an alternative Montresor/Loremaster WH40k tagteam in the mix.
Druids gather at the circle of stones,
To worship the ancient ones.

In the glow of a dying red sun,
Their rites of evil have only just begun...

Electric Wizard - Black Butterfly
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

You know what would be an absolute blast to play - a game where there are a group of survivors on a farm or in a small country town, and they have to survive the night against hundreds or thousands of undead. Just a one-off adventure, and the game is marked off an hour at a time.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I'm with both Dorian and Stone Magnet, Montresor. Having read what you are capable of running when you are happy with what you are running, I am more than happy to wait until Borderlands RPG is as perfected in your concept as it can be. If that means waiting a year or two, so be it.

I, personally, have no interest in playing a science fiction based RPG, but will most likely do my typical lurking to get a feel for the game. My preference would be you not run a different game and spend the time working on Borderlands itself, but slowly I am understanding this RPG bug, and I assume once mastering a campaign it is difficult to get the bug out of your system.

My input is to do what would make you the most satisfied in the long run. My hope is that would be option three.
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

I was thinking a similar thing Lore.

was also thinking of one of them who done it sorta crime things, where each player is involved in some mystery and need to solve it in one night or something. Good old fashion cheesy fun
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

That does sound pretty cool. I'm the opposite of you, Dorian, preferring the strategy to the RPG. But this idea intrigues me. If I thought for a second I'd be able to keep up, and not drag the game for those who are able to be online even sporadically throughout the day, I'd ask if I could join in. (That is, if it was happening. hehe)
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Between the other games that are starting up right now, the one game that's starting back up (Yay! Xar's back!), and some very uninteresting stuff going on in real life, I am actually better off if you take a little while to start up Borderlands. If that means the game will be yet still better... That's just gravy.
Last edited by Goatkiller666 on Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Thanks heaps for all of the feedback, guys. Much appreciated. :D

I think I concur with what seems to be the general consensus - i.e. take my time and run the game at some later stage (probably in a little over a year). This will allow me to flesh out all of the major places and factions, create specified equipment lists, get my head around an economy (so players can go on trading voyages), and probably even custom make my own RPG system for the setting. Even more interesting for me - I get to spend time on doing my own art for the setting too.

In the meantime, I may very well run a few adventures for something else. Having leafed through the Rogue Trader book quite a bit, I'm very tempted to run a mini-campaign on that (groundwork would be very minimal). For those who don't know, Rogue Trader is an RPG set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, in which players form part of the crew of a great trade/exploration vessel. One player takes the Rogue Trader (the Lord-Captain), while the others take the other leading crew positions (like Navigator, Explorer, Psyker etc etc). The setting is in the Koronus Expanse - a remote place in the galaxy neither easily accessed or much settled.

I did create the rules for a survival-horror game (somewhat like Lore's ZA), though I never did a map (had no time). My game was going to be run with each turn representing an hour, and the goal being to survive until dawn. I've had a bizarre idea for a portmanteu style horror-game (like the Amicus films, Tales From the Crypt, Twilight Zone etc) in which the tales (games) are 'presented' by a single figure. The players are the same characters in each game, though they are not related. Each represents a hypothetical, and the player deemed to have 'scored' the highest is the only one not consigned to hell/oblivion etc at the end of the final tale. I'm not sure if people will get my idea, though if you've seen an Amicus film like The House That Dripped Blood, From Beyond the Grave etc, you probably will.

However, I would rather just run one game, which I am more inclined to be Rogue Trader (at least until Borderlands is done).

Zephyr
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zephyr »

Montresor wrote:Having leafed through the Rogue Trader book...
You what??

Ah, I understand. Ignore me.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

I just picked up a couple prints by this artist (she had a display at SteamCon), and thought some of you might be interested in the Cthulhu image.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Sorry for the double-post, but... more Cthulhu-themed stuff. I just stumbled across Pokéthulhu on the Interwebs. That, in turn reminded me of this old comic I used to read, Hello Cthulhu.

Return to “Gravin Threndor”