Fatal Revenant..Part 1 , Chapter 1 Reunion

ROTE, FR, AATE, TLD

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

Malik23 wrote:Oh crap! This has started. I need to get reading! Lurch, I can't wait to read your analysis. I will start reading FR immediately and respond as soon as possible.

Malik...No,,,no no no..You must read the entire first section before you return here. It is written thus and you must. Do NOT return to here until you have finished at least the first section. Thats just the way it is.. Trust me..
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

Well done Lurch very impressive dissection you have left a good bench mark for the rest of us and scared me a little aswell as to what I need to do to have my dissection ready by its due date. I will reply soon concerning the chapter as soon as I digest all thats within it. :)
Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

Wow, lurch! Great dissection. And wayfried, excellent points as well. This is gonna be fun. :D

What I noticed on this read through was the way SRD used brief, one to two sentence paragraphs interspered within the large ones. The brief ones seem to be almost used as punctuation; a way to drive home a major point. And keeping the sentence brief seems to give it more force.

Consider: Initally we get a description of Stave and Liand, comlpete with reminders of what they have already suffered. But the next paragraph
At that moment, however, neither Liand nor Stave impinged on Linden's awareness. They were not real to her.
shows how they rank in Linden's eyes at the moment. And then the description of her other companions, followed by:
But none of her compainions existed for her.
Then the scene setting - Revelstone, the Demondin, the six riders, but again (in case we missed it :) )
Six riders. But four of them were Masters; and for Linden, they also did not exist. She saw only the others.
Driving home Linden's focus with short, quick phrases.

And later:
Thomas Covenant was alive: the only man she had ever loved.

Her son was free. Somehow he had eluded Lord Foul's grasp.
It's almost as though we could get the basic gist of the chapter reading only these brief paragraphs.

"Already her arms ached to hold them"

"They were her friends, but she hardly noticed them"

"Jeremiah and Covenant were not being hunted: they were being herded"

"Just be wary of me. Remember that I'm dead."

"In the absence of the Staff's flame, she knew only blackness and consternation."

"Unconsious that she was moving again, she hurried toward them, chasing the limits of the ambiguous illumination."

(Love that line, BTW)

"Only the eagerness which enlivened the muddy color of his (Jeremiah's) eyes violated Linden's knoweldge of him."

She's been waiting 10 years to see and an emotional response from Jeremiah, and the eagrness violates him? Interesting word choice.....

"Between one heartbeat and the next, she seemed to find herself in the presence, not of loved ones, but of her nightmares."

"As if she were turning her back (on Covenant), she shifted so that she faced only her son."

"If Covenant could do all of this, why had he told her to find him?"

And these are the full paragraphs. Just reading these you get the feel for Linden's focus, her longing, and her growing confusion and sense that, despite the fullfilment of her desire to have TC and J returned, that something is wrong. Very nicely done.
"The plural of antecdotes is not evidence."
-------------
Driving down the razor's edge between the past and the future
Turn up the music and smile
Get carried away on the songs and stories of vanished times
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Poor, poor Linden. In this scene, its hard not to ache for her.
Imean, without knowing what was going on, as a reader, we still know that SOMEthings not going to be right.

It wouldn't be like Donaldson to write a book with Cov and Jerry showing up, and everyting being fine and dandy.

I remember when I read this, wondering what was going to be wrong with them, and how much it was going to Hurt Linden....especially after how she yearns for them as they ride towards her.

Talk about giving some who's lost everything back something broken...without knowing HOW they are broken; you just KNOW they're broken somehow.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

From my perspective,, the descriptive " broken" is not quite on target. The answer D'pharmed got from Donaldson ..about being " obscured from earthpower,,,again,,has to do with perception..." Obscured" not " Broken". There is a difference. Its the perception thing that got my attention in chapter 1..Again.. the high contrasts of the conflicting opposites etc.

True,,Linden is between this barrage of opposites..Her expectations versus the reality of what she is getting, put her into state of confusion..and,,well Chapter 2 is soon to be here. Her expectations are broken,,but the Truth is obscured...The Truth is not broken. The TC that comes on horseback is not broken,, The TC that arrives on horseback is what it is..

Seems to me the author,,has made a statement on how we beguile and perhaps limit ourselves ,,when we allow our subjective memories to guide us in the now . As TC and the plotters know..you become predictable and thus easily manipulated when it is known what your past is and that you rely heavily on it.
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I too, above, had said, "This chapter can be summed up as "Linden gets back something broken".

Lurch, what's broken is not Covenant, nor Jeremiah. What's broken is Linden's relationship with them. They, literally, don't want her to touch them anymore. That metaphor is as plain as can be - they wish to sever their connection to her, in fact consider it severed. It couldn't have been worse if Covenant had walked in with another woman in his arms, Jeremiah with another woman he called Mom.

Linden's understanding of who they were, what she meant to them, was shattered and broken.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

..way...Interesting it is,, that you use the word " worse"..in describing the denial of Love,, the end of relationship..I am not so sure of that,, but Chap 2 is coming up and its title suggests what I see. ...I think the end game here is to drive her to a deep despair,,which she seems to be a culpable party to...so.. ownership of Illusion is shared..??..Her memories are Illusions just as TC and Jerry are.
pg4 TLD
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

But, I cannot help but think that we-the readers- have also been given back something 'broken' or a disappointing expectation of TC's return. My disappointment in Covenant's words and manners are just as palpable as Linden's. As a mother, I can imagine what it must be like for Linden to want a connection to her son and be constantly denied it - even when he seems able - at long last - to be capable of connection.

So many of us fans have balked at Linden being the focus of the stories and SRD is so adamant in his affection for her that he insists we see her instead of TC, thus making the reunion as bittersweet for us as it is for Linden.

So we are left to sit back and let SRD guide us through this wondrous, broken world and accept the circumstances, keeping us baited with his beautiful writing style.
The King has one more move.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

[
So many of us fans have balked at Linden being the focus of the stories and SRD is so adamant in his affection for her that he insists we see her instead of TC, thus making the reunion as bittersweet for us as it is for Linden.

I find that a very interesting phenomena..The author involves us at a level not expected. There is an acknowledgment of Us in that,, and a relationship established. Kinda sneaky and subtle,,but respectful as well. And because he " got" us..he goes further to say..here let me show you what is possible. The intimacy is rather extra ordinary...imho..
pg4 TLD
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Ok, I finished chapter one (again). Lurch, your analysis was beautiful. After the attention you gave the first sentence, I started to get excited. I wanted you to do the same for every sentence in the chapter!

I'm glad you found so much in the writing, because honestly, I kept finding myself rereading his sentences, getting very little out of some of them. I noticed the awkwardness you mentioned (beginning with that first awkward "like"), but at the same time, there was a lack of vividness that bugged me. Many of the sentences just failed to conjure up an image. I kept getting stuck at the level of the words themselves, rather than taking that magical leap beyond into meaning. For instance, "With her health-sense, she descried as if they were framed in stone the four Masters astride their laboring horses." That's just too awkward to evoke anything but a reread. Why "as if"? They were framed in stone. Actually, the meaning of "frame" as it is being used here already contains an implicit "as if."
Answers.com wrote:To enclose in or as if in a frame.
So that's: as if, as if in a frame. Wow.

I know you enjoy this blurring between metaphor and literal meaning, but for me it just calls attention to the writing itself, and gets in the way of the story. If we're going to enjoy some literal/figurative blurring (something I employ frequently in my own writing), I prefer it to be painted in bolder strokes. For instance, the sentences Mortice Root pointed out concerning the "unreality" of her companions. We're dealing with a fantasy novel [unreality level 1] concerning an alternate universe that may or may not exist for the characters themselves [unreality level 2], in which the main character is surrounded by Land friends who have become more real to her than her real friends and family [unreality level 3], who is then confronted by the apparent return of her son and dead lover (ostensibly the only real people in her company, given that they are the only ones from the "real" world--and the ones she cares about the most) which therefore makes the presence of her Land friends seem "unreal" [unreality level 4]. But then we have a final twist of the issue of Covenant and Jeremiah's reality being in question all over again [unreality level 5]. All those levels nested within the sentences MR pointed out above. That in my opinion, is a successful juxtaposition and intermingling of the literal and the figurative. The roles each character plays in this phasing in and out of the real and the unreal is like the Demondim themselves:
The monsters appeared to melt and solidify from place to place as they pursued their prey . . .
When I first read the preview of this chapter, I noted in our discussion how Donaldson had Covenant saying his famous catch-phrases. "Hellfire," is the first word he speaks, followed quickly by a variation of "don't touch me." At the time, I was disappointed how forced this sounded, almost too obvious, as if Donaldson was trying too hard to make us readers feel like the familiar, loved character was back. It felt like a writer trying to recapture old magic, and failing short in the attempt. Now I'm laughing at myself, too. God he's good.

:oops:

This entire chapter is an exercise in the obvious and the subtle, and sometimes both at the same time. Virtually every sentence is being used to mean at least two different things, on distinct but intertwined levels.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

A crucial sense of "coign" we all missed:

Answers.com wrote:"The keystone of an arch;"
She holds the white gold, which is the keystone in the arch of time.

And another, less exciting but still applicable meaning:
Answers.com wrote: a "quoin" is a wedge or the outside angle of a building.
(The word's variant form is "quoin.") Revelstone, as we all know, is itself described numerous times as a wedge in the foothills.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I'm a moron. I didn't even spot the similarity to "Don't touch me."

But doesn't that just mean that it's even worse for Linden? "Don't touch me" was Covenant's mantra of isolation. And then the Elohim cruelly used it to advertise what they had done to Covenant. That has to be particularly hard for Linden to hear (as it was when she heard it in the One Tree) for that reason, on top of all the other ones discussed.

Yes, caamora, we've gotten back something broken, too.

As for coign/quoin - I think this is a red herring. Quoin is also the root word for coin. Does that mean something here?

I think the only definition that matters here is

coign
  • archaic spelling of quoin (q.v.), surviving only in Shakespeare's coign of vantage ("Macbeth" I. vi.), popularized by Sir Walter Scott, properly "a projecting corner" (for observation).
So a "coign like a balcony" is a projecting corner that is used for observation that's a bit like a balcony in that there is a raised wall or railing, but it is not an actual balcony in that it probably does not overhang but rather is built upon the top of a corner of the tower. That's all I think we have here.

"The Coign of Vantage"
1895 Lawrence Alma-Tadema
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Yes, WF, I agree that we can sometimes "mine" too much meaning in words that the author never intended. I don't usually pay so much attention to individual words. In fact, I ignored it until Lurch drew attention to it. But once he got the ball rolling, I couldn't help feeling that "keystone of an arch" was relevant for a woman holding the white gold,
Spoiler
facing a potential encounter with the Timewarden himself
. But maybe it's nothing.
Spoiler
[Edit: sorry about the spoiler!]
Last edited by Zarathustra on Mon May 12, 2008 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Spoiler
Suggest (to everyone) spoilering/avoiding the word "Timewarden" as this is not introduced until the last chapter.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

That's the whole thing about Dissecting, you can't go any further than the chapter being discussed about anything without using spoilers, and please try to keep them to a minimum-thanks
fall far and well Pilots!
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Finally started to listen to FR last night, a few random thoughts...

This chapter could also be called "There is a glamour upon love..."

As soon as she sees them, Linden rushes back into the tower so she can greet them. I understand her intense longing, but wouldn't it make more sense to stay where she is, watching to see if there's anything she can do to help them reach the gates?

As she's running, she thinks about how she didn't dare use power against the Demondim because the riders are in the way (a reasonable thought). But what if they were caught before they reach safety? And Linden is running down some stairwell somewhere... isn't it possible that a situation would arise where they would need her help? Again, she seems to focus more on her own needs than on anyone else's.

-- I really noticed the use of language (thanks Lurch!). Some great stuff, juxtapositions of things like the life Jeremiah's eyes "violating her knowledge of him" as was mentioned. And the repeated use of "no one else existed for her" has some ominous implications.

And then, when Covenant tells her to quench the Staff, she's left there in darkness... physical, mental, emotional... This doesn't sound at all like the supposed Covenant that spoke lovingly through Anele. Neither Covenant nor Jeremiah make any attempt to come to her, to reassure her with greetings, nothing... but... darkness.
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Relayer wrote:As she's running, she thinks about how she didn't dare use power against the Demondim because the riders are in the way (a reasonable thought). But what if they were caught before they reach safety? And Linden is running down some stairwell somewhere... isn't it possible that a situation would arise where they would need her help? Again, she seems to focus more on her own needs than on anyone else's.
(I was wondering when the Linden bashing would begin.)

First, Linden had already seen "If they did not fall or falter, they would reach the watchtower ahead of their pursuers; in time for Revelstone's defenders to close the gates." Perhaps she should have allowed for the possibility of that falling or faltering, played it safe. But the way to bet was that they'd make it to the gates okay; Linden didn't abandon them to the Demondim here.

Second, the text clearly stated that she tried to go directly to the gates as soon as possible. She wanted to be there if she needed to act. However, the Haruchai barred her way, made her go back across the rope bridge to the main keep, then go down stairs, and then go back across the courtyard. Linden did not anticipate this at the time she decided to run downstairs. She did not ancticipate that she'd meet them in the forehall rather than outside the gates.

Lastly, if there's one thing that was reiterated over and over as FR opens, it was how this moment was earth-shattering to Linden. There was TC. There was her son. There was her son, healthy. She was overwhelmed.
In the instant that she recognized Thomas Covenant and Jeremiah, the meaning of her entire life changed.
Is it forgivable to be somewhat less tactical than a Warmark at that moment? Dammit Jim, she's a doctor, not a general!

And consider: if she had stood on the wall, covering the riders escape from the Demondim, would you not then call her cold and calculating, for not wanting to rush immediately into their arms, but instead playing it cool, more concerned with tactics than love?

I don't see where someone who so recently argued for Anele's release from the Masters, who rescued Time itself from the Demondim, saved the remaining Waynhim, and who granted her companions relief from Kevin's Dirt, can be accused of being selfish *again*. I guess you could argue that all of these things served her needs, and so it makes her selfish. Well, ensuring that Covenant and Jeremiah escape from the Demondim would serve her needs, too, so doing what you suggested and staying on the balcony to defend could be considered selfish in exactly the same way. Which means you could argue she was selfish no matter what she did! Poor Linden.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Funny... and I'm not a Linden basher (notice the only icon I have in my user items? ;-) )

I agree with everything you said. And what I posted was my impression when I was listening last night. (maybe my subconscious mind has been polluted by TH...)
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Wayfriend, I'm firmly in your pro-Linden camp. But I didn't think Relayer was bashing her. But then, I don't think it's an insult to point out that women are more emotional than men. It's not bashing to point out real differences. (I love my own emotional woman. :D )

And, I love the character, Linden, too. But if there were no danger of Linden being fooled by love into doing things she shouldn't do, if she were instead the Almighty, Infallible Linden, then why did the Mahdoubt bother to warn her at all?

You don't have to be a Warmark to comprehend that when the two people whom you love more than life itself are in (apparent) mortal danger, running through tunnels when you could be providing cover isn't the smartest idea. Clearly, Relayer was correct. She was driven by emotion, not reason. It was more important to her to get down there and get a hug rather than stay put and provide some sniper cover.

It was a decision of a woman blinded by love, rather than a hero-of-this-series thinking like a hero.

But that's okay! It's alright for characters to act on love more than reason. Especially if those emotions are very strong. I think it's an essential part of the story, or (again) there'd be no point in the Mahdoubt warning her against this tendency which is certainly a part of her.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Great start to the dissection and a great dissection it was!

I was re-reading this last night (I had misplaced my book and have been looking frantically for it for a week) and one of the things that stick out to me is how different TC is from where we left him.

Near the end of The One Tree we have:
You're the only woman I know who isn't afraid of me." His arms made a wincing movement like an embrace maimed from its inception by need and shame. "Don't you understand that I love you?"
At the end of WGW the last words between TC and Linden are poignant and loving
"There's no need for that. I'm part of you now. You'll always remember."
At the edge of her heart, he stopped. She was barely able to hear him.
"I'll be with you as long as you live."
And her last words to him:
For the last time, she lifted her voice toward him, spoke to him as if she were a woman of the Land:

"Farewell, beloved."
Fast forward to today:
Since then she really hasnt had time to talk to TC. To express her feelings both physically and verbally. Now here he is right in front of her. Here we expect a sweet re-union between two lovers that have been apart for a long time. But instead we get:
"Hellfire, Linden, put that damn thing out."
And I see this as Wayfriend did.
Wayfriend wrote:Incredible. He swears at her. He commands her. He dismisses her power. He disrespects her Staff. He puts himself on top, belittles her position, her stature, her self. All in one sentence.
This was not the re-union that I, the reader, expected. Being a part of the arch of time seems to have changed TC considerably. This isnt the TC that I remember at all. The one who was willing the damn the land for the sake of one little girl. The guy who gave Camora to the dead Giants. The one who wouldnt let the Haruchai punish Linden for attempting Ceers life. This isnt even the TC that told Linden to remember that he is dead.

Alarm bells are going off for me at this point. Everything is not what I expected but I cant, at this point, quite put my finger on it.

Spoiler
Hindsight is indeed 20/20... Now that I have read the book more thoroughly it is very apparent to me what was wrong and the signs were all there. Linden wasnt the only one in a glamour over this... I was as well. Because I have missed TC in the books so much I was much more willing to overlook the obviousness of his actions.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image

Return to “Last Chronicles”